US Veterans: JUSMAG Questions.

Though I'm a US veteran and have some military pension benefits, I have never been to JUSMAG on Sathorn Rd.

I am in need of some information regarding my VA health benefits and have heard over the years that there is a military retirement information desk there as well as a local VFW branch. There is little current information in the TV archives.

Can anybody tell me what their general hours are? A post from 2005 says Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays. Is that still the case?

Is the retirement desk open all the time or only specific times? Is an appointment required for retirement counselling?

I have heard 2nd hand that some US veterans are able to get medical treatments here in Bangkok paid for by the VA. I suspect they may be specific service connected disabilities and conditions but if anybody has knowledge of this, I'd appreciate knowing more. I was recently enrolled in the VA Medical System but have not used it's services yet.

I will chime in here with some basic info and I am sure other more knowledgeable folks will also set you straight.

Yes JUSMAG provides some services for US vets but that is not their sole purpose for being there.

There is a RAO person that is located there to assist vets and mainly retirees. I post the JUSMAG web link to the RAO

http://www.jusmagthai.com/rao.html

You do not say where you are located in Thailand so I would suggest starting out by emailing the RAO and also contacting any VFW Post here in Thailand as the VFW guys are the best at helping answer the questions you have. You may even qualify to join the VFW.

I also put a link to the VFW Post here in Pattaya. Its a link to the FAQ section of the site. If you look at that FAQ you will see many links to answers for various question you may have.

http://www.vfwpost9876.com/faqvfw.htm

I think someone else will be along to add or correct any info I posted incorrectly.

Good luck

Thanks Longball for your helpful response, I appreciate the links. I reside in Bangkok so the JUSMAG office is pretty easy for me to get to. I never joined any of the Veterans organizations but now wish I had as I got cheated out of years of benefits. They would have helped me straighten it out long ago.

Dave, you didn't state where you reside so I assume, hate to use that word, you are in BKK. There is a VFW post there in BKK, Post 9951, vfwbkk.org, with a very good and knowledgeable Service Officer by the name of Robert (Bob) Duffy. Bob can be contacted by email at, [email protected] There is also a newly formed American Legion Post, TH01, in Ubon Ratchathain. Our email is [email protected].

Larry Edmonds, Commander

American Legion Post TH01

[email protected]

083 201 1062

Dave...I was just transferred here with the government and am service related for several conditions. I called my local VA before I left home and they referred me to another office. The VA has a Foreign Medical Program. After I got done talking with the gal on the phone and having a little fun with her, she said, "Well, basically you are on your own!" So I said...gee, just like in the U.S. :) Anyway, you have to sign up and they will reimburse for service related conditions only. According to what they say....and they always say the truth! Brother. I have not tried it yet but did sign up.

I'm sure the service officers will know much more than me but thought I would tell you what the VA told me. If you find out more, could you post it?

Jeff

http://www.va.gov/purchasedcare/programs/veterans/fmp/

Dave...I was just transferred here with the government and am service related for several conditions. I called my local VA before I left home and they referred me to another office. The VA has a Foreign Medical Program. After I got done talking with the gal on the phone and having a little fun with her, she said, "Well, basically you are on your own!" So I said...gee, just like in the U.S. smile.png Anyway, you have to sign up and they will reimburse for service related conditions only. According to what they say....and they always say the truth! Brother. I have not tried it yet but did sign up.

I'm sure the service officers will know much more than me but thought I would tell you what the VA told me. If you find out more, could you post it?

Jeff

The FMP is sketchy.. Effectively, if accepted, the VA stateside transfers your records to this division in US. They will only reimburse for service connected conditions, and I am sure secondary conditions would be dicey for reimbursement (if not SC first). I do not think you can pre approve FMP. Treatment only for Service Connection. It is possible to arrange direct billing by a med/doc (if you work that out).

As a former DAV NSO, [you] can PM me for any questions regarding submitting/appealing a claim. If I can help, I will. If not, I will tell you straight away.

I do not suspect going to JUSMAGTHAI is required. Some smart SVO or NSOs outside JUSMAGTHAI can help you articulate a claim- see contacts in earlier posts. Good luck.

I went to The US last year after signing up with The VA in Texas. Complained of my hearing and received a hearing test .Was with in one week fitted for hearing aids(controlled via my smart phone) Even though my claim for hearing loss in still on the burner I received hearing aids because I was told by the VA that every veteran will be granted hearing aids as needed.Go visit the VFW commander as he is very helpful to Vets. Semper Fi....Dirty Jim

FMP is a joke as I understand it. Takes 8 months for payments/reimbursements. I'm just glad health care is so much cheaper here. Plus there is PSI that works with veterans and the FMP so at least mental health is available here through FMP assuming that can be proven as service connected.

The VA system in general is a joke and this is from a disabled vet who retired from the VA. I was awarded 100% service connected disability in 2004 for leg, knee, hip and back injuries sustained on active duty. I retired in 2008 and relocated to Thailand because my disability compensation was sufficient and costs were low enough that I could provide my own medical care. Last year (2015 eleven years later) I received a notice from the VA that a rating error had occured back in 2004 and they were adjusting my disability to 40%. The result is US$2,000 a month decrease in compensation. In addition my Thai wife died last year so I not longer get compensation for having a dependent. A service organization represents me but they are largely ineffective as well. I am truly screwed as my replacement left knee is "prematurely" wearing out, my right knee needs replacing. I have arthritis in knees, hips and back. I also have a 1 and 3/4 inch shorter left leg than right which has caused severe curvature of the lower spine. I have 3 bulging discs which would require surgery to fuse 5 discs. All I can do is use my remaining benefits to stay drunk on Sang Som. Whatever the VA tells you, or any service org, do not take it as gospel and count on it forever.. Nonetheless, I served and would gladly do it again.

Please tell me you appealed. Call your Congressman. Don't roll over. Fight that sh**! After 10 years at 100%, it should be reclassified as total and permanent, not reduced.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My condolences.

My VA healthcare has overall been good. Sometimes slow but for chronic none life-threatening conditions, they have been good. For C & P issues, they are "there for the veteran"------NOT!! It's the most adversarial system next to a court of law there is. They are there for saving money on the backs, sometimes literally, of veterans. All so they can get their bonuses, etc. The VA is not the only poor government agency. So much fat---we need fiscal conservatism regarding our systems. We sure don't have it now with Obozo "leading" the US. Our debt shows it.

I'm working with a state service officer back home. He is worthless. Thanks OP for asking here, I had no idea we had service officers here. I need to find them on an appeal I'm going to submit. I will submit the JUSTMAG form.

Remember the movie Galaxy Quest from 99? #1 quote there is how I deal with the VA! "Never give up, never surrender!!"

What benefits were you cheated out of?

I'm the OP. Before I get into how I was "cheated" out of benefits over the years in the hope that somebody else reading it might be in a similar situation, I first want to publicly express my deep gratitude to several individuals, especially "Longball" and "Retiredaamt" for excellent and useful referrals. I also received some extremely helpful PM's from several people who wish to remain private.

Sometimes I get discouraged reading ThaiVisa with the constant negativity and sometimes outright hostility over trivial disagreements but then I get the kind of response I got to my question and I realize how many really decent people are out there and that just because they don't post every day, they are a majority here and make this forum worthwhile.

I joined the US Navy Reserves in the mid 1960's and was called to my two year active duty commitment in 1967. I was assigned to communications training in Pensacola, Fla for seven months, then ordered to a USN communication Station in Morocco where I was a Communications Technician, 3rd class (CT3)

My two year tour of duty was scheduled to end in late December, 1969. In September, I was offered a considerable bonus to "re-up", that is, to change my status to regular navy and re-enlist for 4 more years of active duty. I had no desire to stay in the USN and declined the offer despite a lot of pressure all the way up the chain of command including a patriotic pitch from my CO. They weren't happy when I continued to decline the offer. I was remover from my position and given scut jobs from that point on.

In late October I was called to admin and was told I was being given an "Early Out"; that is, released from duty one month short of my two year commitment. I was not given a choice nor did they discuss with me in any way the potential ramifications of this action.

I didn't question or resist it because I had planned already to take a "Local Discharge" and tour Europe for several months before returning to the US. Most servicemen serving overseas have this option and the military will still return you to your home in the US free of charge within one year of discharge. I simply moved my plans up and was honorably discharged in early November, 21 days short of my two year tour of duty.

The "Early Out" turned out to be a big problem. Every time I applied for the Veterans benefits I thought I was eligible for such as educational assistance and a state veterans bonus, I was told I was in-eligible because I had not served a full two years of active duty. Long story short, after several years of being declined for everything I applied for, I gave up I missed out on a lot of post Vietnam benefits.

Flash ahead 30+ years and one day I was having one of those typical conversations at a Soi-4 bar with a fellow sitting next to me. I don't remember how the subject came up but it turned out he had been in the same situation with an "Early Out" and being denied benefits. He had pursued it more aggressively than I had through a veterans organization and his Congressman. He explained to me that several years before it had been determined that the Regular USN had purposefully conspired to get rid of as many active duty reservists as they could before their tours were up so that they would not have to cover their benefits from their budget. It was ruled that all USNR veterans affected by this would be credited for their full two year tour and also receive credit for any days spent in reserve training weekend drills and also time spent in any Navy schools we attended prior to active duty.

Using this information, the next time I visited the US I went to the VA and initiated a claim and was eventually awarded a small pension but I still regret the huge amount of benefits I was essentially "cheated" out of. I have to take some responsibility. If I had been like the fellow who told me all this and gotten involved with a Veterans organization like the VFW or American Legion or if I had contracted the Veterans advocate that almost every Congressman has, I may have straightened this out a lot sooner.

If by some chance, any former reservist in the same situation is reading this and you haven't already done so, get on it now. There are still benefits you can receive. Also, if you are a veteran of any era who feels like he or she is getting denied benefits you are entitled to, don't let it slide!!. Get involved with a veterans organization and get your Congress person involved. The VA may be a bureaucratic mess but there are a lot of caring people out there who want to help you, and will.

Dave...I was just transferred here with the government and am service related for several conditions. I called my local VA before I left home and they referred me to another office. The VA has a Foreign Medical Program. After I got done talking with the gal on the phone and having a little fun with her, she said, "Well, basically you are on your own!" So I said...gee, just like in the U.S. smile.png Anyway, you have to sign up and they will reimburse for service related conditions only. According to what they say....and they always say the truth! Brother. I have not tried it yet but did sign up.

Jeff

The FMP is sketchy.. Effectively, if accepted, the VA stateside transfers your records to this division in US. They will only reimburse for service connected conditions, and I am sure secondary conditions would be dicey for reimbursement (if not SC first). I do not think you can pre approve FMP. Treatment only for Service Connection. It is possible to arrange direct billing by a med/doc (if you work that out).

As a former DAV NSO, [you] can PM me for any questions regarding submitting/appealing a claim. If I can help, I will. If not, I will tell you straight away.

I do not suspect going to JUSMAGTHAI is required. Some smart SVO or NSOs outside JUSMAGTHAI can help you articulate a claim- see contacts in earlier posts. Good luck.

Thanks for both of these. I was able to talk to a person very knowledgeable about VA health benefits and he did confirm that essentially, overseas care is available only for those with a service connected disability which I do not have. I will have to return to the US for any major medical treatment I may need.

There is something else you can look into. As you know the VA uses a tier system- service connected, space available, etc. The VA variously opens tiers or closes them over the years depending on funding. Thus, at one time years ago a person who had no service connected could hardly get healthcare, even adjusted to income. Later, such people were able to apply for care depending on income. So, the issue is two fold: where do you fit in on priority level and where could you get care abroad.

There is only one VA medical facility located outside of the US (that I know of). This is in PI, certainly closer than the US. However, before you need it or plan on it, do your homework. Generally the VA sees vets who are registered with that VA hospital, but you can seek care anywhere in necessary. So, perhaps determine whether you have any priority then whether PI is a better option.

Note: Because you do not now have SC does not mean you cannot. Its not uncommon for people many years later to be able to identify a SC condition. PM me if you have any questions.

What benefits were you cheated out of?

I'm the OP. Before I get into how I was "cheated" out of benefits over the years in the hope that somebody else reading it might be in a similar situation, I first want to publicly express my deep gratitude to several individuals, especially "Longball" and "Retiredaamt" for excellent and useful referrals. I also received some extremely helpful PM's from several people who wish to remain private.

Sometimes I get discouraged reading ThaiVisa with the constant negativity and sometimes outright hostility over trivial disagreements but then I get the kind of response I got to my question and I realize how many really decent people are out there and that just because they don't post every day, they are a majority here and make this forum worthwhile.

I joined the US Navy Reserves in the mid 1960's and was called to my two year active duty commitment in 1967. I was assigned to communications training in Pensacola, Fla for seven months, then ordered to a USN communication Station in Morocco where I was a Communications Technician, 3rd class (CT3)

My two year tour of duty was scheduled to end in late December, 1969. In September, I was offered a considerable bonus to "re-up", that is, to change my status to regular navy and re-enlist for 4 more years of active duty. I had no desire to stay in the USN and declined the offer despite a lot of pressure all the way up the chain of command including a patriotic pitch from my CO. They weren't happy when I continued to decline the offer. I was remover from my position and given scut jobs from that point on.

In late October I was called to admin and was told I was being given an "Early Out"; that is, released from duty one month short of my two year commitment. I was not given a choice nor did they discuss with me in any way the potential ramifications of this action.

I didn't question or resist it because I had planned already to take a "Local Discharge" and tour Europe for several months before returning to the US. Most servicemen serving overseas have this option and the military will still return you to your home in the US free of charge within one year of discharge. I simply moved my plans up and was honorably discharged in early November, 21 days short of my two year tour of duty.

The "Early Out" turned out to be a big problem. Every time I applied for the Veterans benefits I thought I was eligible for such as educational assistance and a state veterans bonus, I was told I was in-eligible because I had not served a full two years of active duty. Long story short, after several years of being declined for everything I applied for, I gave up I missed out on a lot of post Vietnam benefits.

Flash ahead 30+ years and one day I was having one of those typical conversations at a Soi-4 bar with a fellow sitting next to me. I don't remember how the subject came up but it turned out he had been in the same situation with an "Early Out" and being denied benefits. He had pursued it more aggressively than I had through a veterans organization and his Congressman. He explained to me that several years before it had been determined that the Regular USN had purposefully conspired to get rid of as many active duty reservists as they could before their tours were up so that they would not have to cover their benefits from their budget. It was ruled that all USNR veterans affected by this would be credited for their full two year tour and also receive credit for any days spent in reserve training weekend drills and also time spent in any Navy schools we attended prior to active duty.

Using this information, the next time I visited the US I went to the VA and initiated a claim and was eventually awarded a small pension but I still regret the huge amount of benefits I was essentially "cheated" out of. I have to take some responsibility. If I had been like the fellow who told me all this and gotten involved with a Veterans organization like the VFW or American Legion or if I had contracted the Veterans advocate that almost every Congressman has, I may have straightened this out a lot sooner.

If by some chance, any former reservist in the same situation is reading this and you haven't already done so, get on it now. There are still benefits you can receive. Also, if you are a veteran of any era who feels like he or she is getting denied benefits you are entitled to, don't let it slide!!. Get involved with a veterans organization and get your Congress person involved. The VA may be a bureaucratic mess but there are a lot of caring people out there who want to help you, and will.

The Navy did something similar to this to my father. He was a WWII Navy vet and did serve more than two years in active duty, but he continued in the Navy Reserves for years, giving up his two weeks of vacation time every year for training duty and attending meetings several times a month. He was so proud to be able to continue to serve in the Navy reserve. Then when he was getting close to an important milestone -- I think it was twenty years, they put him thru a very exacting physical exam and discovered a "shadow" on an xray of his lung and declared him unfit to serve and kicked him out just short of being able to claim some important benefits. I don't remember all the details, I was still in junior high at the time, but the "shadow" on his lung had been well known to the Navy for years, the result of working in a gristmill for a time as a teenager without appropriate breathing protection. He never had any lung problems and was able to meet all the physical fitness requirements. It devastated him to be tossed out like that.

The VA system in general is a joke and this is from a disabled vet who retired from the VA. I was awarded 100% service connected disability in 2004 for leg, knee, hip and back injuries sustained on active duty. I retired in 2008 and relocated to Thailand because my disability compensation was sufficient and costs were low enough that I could provide my own medical care. Last year (2015 eleven years later) I received a notice from the VA that a rating error had occured back in 2004 and they were adjusting my disability to 40%. The result is US$2,000 a month decrease in compensation. In addition my Thai wife died last year so I not longer get compensation for having a dependent. A service organization represents me but they are largely ineffective as well. I am truly screwed as my replacement left knee is "prematurely" wearing out, my right knee needs replacing. I have arthritis in knees, hips and back. I also have a 1 and 3/4 inch shorter left leg than right which has caused severe curvature of the lower spine. I have 3 bulging discs which would require surgery to fuse 5 discs. All I can do is use my remaining benefits to stay drunk on Sang Som. Whatever the VA tells you, or any service org, do not take it as gospel and count on it forever.. Nonetheless, I served and would gladly do it again.

Please have someone competent look into this. CUE (Clear and Unmistakable Error) is a reason for the VA to make changes but such changes must also balance other factors: benefit of the doubt, whether the veteran will be injured by the act, the ability to pay back, etc. You must have someone competent look this over. You do not say whether SC was lifted or rating decreased. In any event, I pray you well. Fight back.

Please tell me you appealed. Call your Congressman. Don't roll over. Fight that sh**! After 10 years at 100%, it should be reclassified as total and permanent, not reduced.

Sorry to hear about your wife. My condolences.

The 10/20 year old rule are a bit different. After 10 years a service connection assignment cannot be changed unless clear and unmistakable error or fraud. So, even if not lose SC, it can be reduced. SC can be lost for the reasons above.

20 years only ensures that any amount receiving cannot be reduced. So, you can be reduced over ten, under twenty.

I do not recall the regs but also tend to agree a static rating for so long would be changed to Perm & Total.

This is terrible story.

Yuku offers very detailed information from other veterans. Nearly every situation can be found there with some really smart people to assist.