Medication by mail

inbangkok

I am curious if anyone knows the legality of ordering medicine by mail into Thailand. As long as the medication is available OTC (not controlled, not requiring a prescription) is it ok to order from abroad or have someone ship them from back home.

I understand many people do this without a problem. However, I am more interested if anyone knows the legality of this on the off chance the box or package is opened by customs?

The reason I am asking is because even with a prescription in the USA, it is almost always illegal to order the medication from abroad.

It is required to have an FDA import permit to bring in any pharmaceutical - prescription or otherwise - into Thailand except for 30 day supply in your accompanied baggage.

That said, in practice customs seem to allow very small parcels of legal, non-controlled, meds through.

And, to follow on Sheryl's post, it seems that by shipping via the postal system in the country of origin vs. DHL/FedEx/UPS the meds are much more likely to make it thru to you here in Thailand without attracting the undue attention of the customs officials. This is true for vitamins and nutritional supplements, too.

Iherb is a good source for supplements.

Do you have any trouble receiving them in Thailand? I've heard stories of people ordering things from overseas and having them held for fees or other charges by customs or delivery services.

Edited by Rob13

Iherb is a good source for supplements.

Do you have any trouble receiving them in Thailand? I've heard stories of people ordering things from overseas and having them held for fees or other charges by customs or delivery services.

Nope. Sometimes I have to pay the mailman 7 baht..... Don't know why.