This is definitely Thailand

Berty100

4 years ago I build a house, as I wanted the best roof tiles that didn't leak, I choose for Ceris Terracotta roof tiles from SCG.

Paid close to half a million Baht for the tiles only, At 55 Baht for a tile and 135 Baht for a ridge tile it adds up quickly you know, but they are the best.

Today I went to the Homemart where I bought the tiles, and which is now owned by SCG, to buy some spare tiles as i have planned some repairs.

Sorry sir, but Ceris factory has been shut down. so no more tiles facepalm.gif

So you mean I spent 500.000 Baht on a roof 4 years ago and I can now demolish it because those tiles are not available anymore?

Yes sir, SOLLY.

After much talking and calling they say they could find some old stock at the closed down factory.

As i wanted to buy 30 pieces, to be sure, that would then be 55 Baht x 30 + 1500 Baht transfer cost or 3150 Baht for 30 tiles.

Oh yes sir and they are green color. Mine are natural red.

By the way Ceris is a product from Lafarge France, a company several hundred years old, and was in Thailand a joint venture with CPAC Monier in which Lafarge invested 8 million Euro. I assume another farang company that was forced to pack their bags.

They have now a similar product, but I'm not sure it is exactly the same, which they market under another brandname and don't produce in the natural red color.

Do you think I could take them to court?

No, any one who builds a roofs should order extras and keep for replacing damaged tile.

There were extras ordered at the time of building, but they were needed to replace the tiles the roof workers broke.

I don't think anyone orders hundreds of spares, especially not at those prices.

No, any one who builds a roofs should order extras and keep for replacing damaged tile.

There were extras ordered at the time of building, but they were needed to replace the tiles the roof workers broke.

I don't think anyone orders hundreds of spares, especially not at those prices.[/

You should of ordered extra tiles when the job was complete.

Poor management on your behalf.

See here lies the problem

1. Why would you buy these when for years they have been using Cpac

2.No wonder they went out of buisiness - what Thai would spend that money on their wages (Cpac got an easy 8 mill)

3. Nothing to do with thailand or thai companies (The reason most of come here is for an affordable life & not French prices)

2.No wonder they went out of buisiness - what Thai would spend that money on their wages (Cpac got an easy 8 mill)

3. Nothing to do with thailand or thai companies (The reason most of come here is for an affordable life & not French prices)

1. Because a clay tile is far superior over a cement tile. It is light, isolates much better against the heat and will last a 100 years

2. They didn't went out of business, they are in business for hundreds of years already. They are present in 53 countries of which 17 in Asia, but for some reason it didn't work out in Thailand, probably for the same reason as it didn't work out for most foreign companies lately

3. Obvious you are in the category that only can afford cheap rubbish, but other prefer quality. And sure something to do with quality, because nobody walks away from a 8 million Euro investment if they aren't forced to. Many foreign companies spring to mind.

Do you think i could take them to court???55555555

May be not in Thailand, but definitely in Europe.

How would you respond if you bought a car today and in 4 years there are no spare-parts available anymore?

I'm sure you wouldn't 555555 anymore.

I don't think anyone orders hundreds of spares, especially not at those prices.[/

You should of ordered extra tiles when the job was complete.

Poor management on your behalf.

That is simply a ridiculous statement, nobody expects that a roof tile from the largest company in Thailand will not be available anymore 4 years later.

Keep in mind that the product was heavily promoted at the time of purchase.

Who the heck is "them" and how does it even enter your mind to take them to court ???

And what the heck reason is it your taking them to court for ???

Ergh , your Honour i brought something from this company 4 years ago and i want to sue them because they dont sell it anymore.

Some peoples expections really puzzle the hell outta me

Edited by The Big Mango

Erm, when your roof tiles were installed, surely there was a bunch left over that you stored as spares?

Or did you get the world's most accurate BOM? smile.png

It always helps to read the other posts before trying to make a smart arse post, then you would have known what happened to the excess of tiles that was ordered

^^ and you didnt think at that point to order more there and then I guess ???

Oh well greens a nice colour

Lol

At that point I still had 5 or 10 left, but they have been used in the mean time, and actually I think there are few people who order spare tiles after the build has finished, because you don't expect that they gonna discontinue a brand of tiles especially when it is produced by the biggest tile company in the country.

Nobody expects that a roof tile which is just laying there at 4-5 meter high will break out of it's own.

Now we gonna do some improvements on the roof construction and therefor a whole section of tiles has to be removed and later replaced, so want to be on the safe side in case some of the tiles break or may be are broken as you can't see from the ground if there are tiles that have a crack at the edge.

Edited by Berty100

1. Because a clay tile is far superior over a cement tile. It is light, isolates much better against the heat and will last a 100 years

2. They didn't went out of business, they are in business for hundreds of years already. They are present in 53 countries of which 17 in Asia, but for some reason it didn't work out in Thailand, probably for the same reason as it didn't work out for most foreign companies lately

3. Obvious you are in the category that only can afford cheap rubbish, but other prefer quality. And sure something to do with quality, because nobody walks away from a 8 million Euro investment if they aren't forced to. Many foreign companies spring to mind.

Oh deary, deary me. Are you going to be alive in 100 years? Do you think anyone is going to praise your memory because you installed such ridiculously expensive tiles? I will pretty certainly be dead in 20 years if not sooner, I just want something to keep the rain out. Chirping about categories of people that don't want to expend large amounts of money on a house just to show us how much wealth you have won't win you many friends. Myself I CAN only afford cheap materials but I don't have an inferiority complex about it.

Oh deary, deary me. Are you going to be alive in 100 years? Do you think anyone is going to praise your memory because you installed such ridiculously expensive tiles? I will pretty certainly be dead in 20 years if not sooner, I just want something to keep the rain out. Chirping about categories of people that don't want to expend large amounts of money on a house just to show us how much wealth you have won't win you many friends. Myself I CAN only afford cheap materials but I don't have an inferiority complex about it.

I don't recall that I started this thread to justify why I decided to use clay tiles. If you have a hard time to string two ends together, then that is your problem not mine, and i couldn't care less how much longer you have to live.

After all it is me who paid for my tiles, not you.

By the way, I didn't come here to find "friends" on an anonymous forum.

Edited by Berty100

OK chaps, enough of the bickering!

To our OP, since the main company is still in business, do they still make the tiles you need?

Are the company operating in SE Asia anywhere that you could get some shipped from (Malaysia and Singapore spring to mind).

OK chaps, enough of the bickering!

To our OP, since the main company is still in business, do they still make the tiles you need?

Are the company operating in SE Asia anywhere that you could get some shipped from (Malaysia and Singapore spring to mind).

Yes Lafarge are operating in Malaysia and Singapore, but it looks like they are doing only concrete products there, as the roofing has been taken over by Monier.

When I build my house I could find a lot of info about the roof on the Malaysian site, and they were significantly cheaper than in Thailand, but now I can't find anything about the clay tiles anymore.

There are plenty of companies that make clay roof tiles in Thailand such as:

denchan.com/

You could try and find a company like that who would be prepared to make a small batch working from a sample. Doubtless it would be expensive per unit.

If it were me I think I would probably go for the green tiles that are available and try and match them with paint. It's an imperfect world.

Well this is an update.

After the shop where I initially bought my roof had insisted that they had no stock any more of these Ceris roof tiles, I called the SCG headoffice. They also insisted that nowhere at their dealers there was any stock left.

I explained to them that it was hard to believe for me that when they shut down a factory that there wasn't a single roof tile left anymore. It isn't that roof tiles are made on order isn't it.

I also asked them how they would react if they bought a new car today and the dealer would tell them in 4 years time when it broke down that there were no spare parts available anymore. I included that I wouldn't take this easy and would for sure consult the OCPB about this.

24 hours later I received a call from the shop that they had found exactly 30 pieces in their stock, which I picked up this morning. They again told me that it were the very very last 30 pieces, not even 1 more they could find.

Strange coincidence, don't you think?

"

This is definitely Thailand

"

This is not only a Thai problem it is something that happens all over the world,

Companies go out of business or discontinue products all the time , every where, not only Thailand.I understand your frustration but you only have your self to blame.

As was said by others, you should have bought extra, not only to replace waste and loss during the installation but to replace tiles that get damaged over the years.

Even if the company was still in business and the product was still available, it is not necessarily true that you would get the same shade color, as shades could vary with different tile firings. or lot numbers

Also colors weather and oxidase over time good to have the same lot of the same age.

I am not being holier than thou, I learned this the hard way, when replacing a broken bathroom wall tile, went to the store an bought the same tile from the same company ,

it looked the same, but when I installed it next to the old ones, it stood out like a sore thumb.

Having said that as a warning to others, you are where you are , and how do you fix it??

Buy the same tile design in any color, take an old tile to the paint store and have them mix a strong epoxy paint to the color of the old, paint the new one that color, and hope for the best

Good luck