Electronics shop other than Amorn

cmth

From the moat turn left into Chang Moi Rd. About 150m on the right (Before the shop selling bike helmets on the same side) is a v good electronics shop. Lots of kit at very good prices.

Its called Samart

Owner speaks good english too which helps due to my very poor Thai.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Forget it. Go to Ban Mor in Bangkok. Was there again a few days ago... Amazing place...

C.M. used to have a couple of shops with some supplies, but over the years the stock has been depleted and floor space re-stocked with Chinese junk, most that has nothing to do with electronics. I went to Kitti about 6 months ago with a list of about 6-7 items I needed, nothing too esoteric. They had zero of the things on my list.

Go to Ban Mor. Flights are so cheap that you could go for the day just to shop.

from another thread....

For Chiangmai, Kitti Electronics is about the best for electronic parts. If the don't have it they can get it quickly. I order dozens of items from them every month for the laboratory I work at, often esoteric items. Located on Chang Puak Road (Chotana). Previous topic here > http://www.thaivisa....ts-t249140.html

It was still there a year ago and almost definitely will have what you are looking for

You may try Beauty Electronic (khun Wiboon) on Rachawong road, between Chang Moi Rd and Thai Wang Rd. Just near a seafood/noodles restaurant (follow the smell tongue.png )...

A lot of "classic" discreet and semi-discreet components...

I even order here my own designed power transformers and output transformers for my vintage tubes guitar amps builds.

Great prices and great service...

thumbsup.gif

There are several good shops around Chiang Mai, far better than Amorn for electronic parts and pieces.

Small shop just off the west side of the moat, as you turn east towards Wat Phra Singh, it's 100m down on the right side of the road.

Bigger shop on the South-East corner of the major intersection on Charoen Muang Rd, I believe it's the 1st or 2nd traffic light

Bigger still is the shop on 'Pong Suwan Alley, the street that runs parallel to the one in front of the Mercure Hotel, but one block south. This shop is just before the street dog-legs.

All three of these carry a full range of resistors, caps, switches, cables, sockets, breadboards, etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I visited the shops listed and ended up with about half of what I needed. The rest I ended up ordering from RS Components, which are still having to get the parts from out of country. None of these items should be that hard to get and I am really surprised at the lack of components available in a city the size of Chiang Mai. The fact that RS Components had to order from out of country only adds to the mystery.

Thanks for all the replies. I visited the shops listed and ended up with about half of what I needed. The rest I ended up ordering from RS Components, which are still having to get the parts from out of country. None of these items should be that hard to get and I am really surprised at the lack of components available in a city the size of Chiang Mai. The fact that RS Components had to order from out of country only adds to the mystery.

Plenty of stock in Bangkok. A couple of hours walking around and you would find all you need. C.M. is a small town.

I use to take some of my electrical things to Amorn for repair behind the old location at Icon Computer Plaza.

Now they have redesigned the area does anyone know if the repair shop is open and is so where is it located?

Out of curiosity, what were some of the components you couldn't source locally? For large orders or more unusual parts I always use http://th.element14.com/

I use to take some of my electrical things to Amorn for repair behind the old location at Icon Computer Plaza.

Now they have redesigned the area does anyone know if the repair shop is open and is so where is it located?

Now it is located in front of the Amorn building in a small temporary looking structure in the parking area to the right. There is usually nowhere to park which is real handy when you are trying to unload an appliance..........and on top of that they raised the price 100 Baht; so it's pretty much 300 minimum now, regardless of how simple the repair is.

If not local then you can look at ThaiEasyElec. I'm considering a Raspberry Pi from them.

If you do get a Raspberry Pi can you please let us know how much it cost.

Just for comparison I recently bought from RS components ( Thailand )

฿1,574 Raspberry PI 3 model B SBC RS Stock No 8968660

฿370 PI 3 power supply RS Stock No 9098135

฿245 PI 3 case clear RS Stock No 9084218

Edited by johng

Out of curiosity, what were some of the components you couldn't source locally? For large orders or more unusual parts I always use http://th.element14.com/

High amp MOSFETs and high amp switches were the biggest issue. Also terminals, tabs, and other connectors were in short supply. Have yet to find any purely mechanical switches (other than monsters) from an supplier here in Thailand.

High amp MOSFETs and high amp switches were the biggest issue. Also terminals, tabs, and other connectors were in short supply. Have yet to find any purely mechanical switches (other than monsters) from an supplier here in Thailand.

Surprising as I have bought IRL540s several times in CM. Much higher amperage MOSFETs or IGBTs I do usually have to order. As for switches, small toggle switches such as below have also been available but you mention high amp so probably not suitable. Any really high amp switching, if AC, I use contactors, if DC then MOSFETs and small switches or a microcontroller. When I get to work Tuesday will talk to my technician as to where he is getting my parts though most of the time it is Kitti but he mentioned some other places.

post-566-0-75608800-1462694537_thumb.jpg

Surprising as I have bought IRL540s several times in CM. Much higher amperage MOSFETs or IGBTs I do usually have to order. As for switches, small toggle switches such as below have also been available but you mention high amp so probably not suitable. Any really high amp switching, if AC, I use contactors, if DC then MOSFETs and small switches or a microcontroller. When I get to work Tuesday will talk to my technician as to where he is getting my parts though most of the time it is Kitti but he mentioned some other places.

I did find a few MOSFETs but not quite what I needed. The IRL540 is 28 amps, I need 200+ amps. I use MOSFETs or relays when I can, but due to space requirements on some applications, a high amp switch or a full mechanical switch is more practical.

I'm curious, what exactly are you guys making with all this stuff?

For me it's my job at the university as a professional electronics design engineer and software developer in Physics, something I love doing. Below is something I put together in a couple of hours one morning with spare parts just for fun. Wanted to see how small an induction heater I could build. I had previously designed a much bigger and more powerful one for a research project that could melt iron whose results were published. One of hundreds of designs I've done there. Stop by sometime Nancy if you would like a tour. smile.png

I'm just a science nerd. I try to make many different things. Most of the time it's not can it be done, but how would I build it. I try to make things without looking at other peoples plans or reverse engineering. It's nothing more than a challenge and a hobby for me. I had no formal education in electronics or engineering. Everything I know either came from reading a book or the internet and experimenting.

Surprising no one has mentioned Poly Electronics not far from Tops supermarket off Chang Puak Road. He has a large selection of parts and can special order virtually anything. This place is hard to find, but worth it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.8013813,98.9837474,3a,75y,198.11h,84.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNt2efbGuAVKKOvAoC3dnew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

For me it's my job at the university as a professional electronics design engineer and software developer in Physics, something I love doing. Below is something I put together in a couple of hours one morning with spare parts just for fun. Wanted to see how small an induction heater I could build. I had previously designed a much bigger and more powerful one for a research project that could melt iron whose results were published. One of hundreds of designs I've done there. Stop by sometime Nancy if you would like a tour. smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9H1wlzDxDM

Isn't that sweet, Tywais. Brings back memories of a most unpleasant course I had to take. I transferred universities when I was just a year shy of receiving a BS in Mechanical Engineering. The new university informed me I was lacking a foundation in electrical engineering (yeah, so what?) and I had to enroll in a course from a approved list. I signed up for one that included a lab component thinking they had a power plant building like the previous university did and I'd have fun learning how to make electricity. That idea excited my mechanical engineering mind -- working with small scale equipment that generated steam and rotated. But nope, instead it was an electronics course and the lab consisted of building little contraptions like the one in your video. Stuff you where you needed to use a magnifying glass to work on it, a drop of sweat messed up your work, hand-eye co-ordination was important and the component they gave us to use (resistors, capacitors, etc) were crap with little legs that kept falling off. Plus, there were guys in the class who were totally geeked out about the subject. Yeesh!

Follow up question. I am also having trouble finding what I thought would be a simple thing. Solder Wick or de-soldering wire. We generally call it Solder Wick in the States. Any ideas?

Edited by cmth

Follow up question. I am also having trouble finding what I thought would be a simple thing. Solder Wick or de-soldering wire. We generally call it Solder Wick in the States. Any ideas?

Poly has it. Ask for "stah-rrapp" Print off a copy of an add showing what it looks like too.