No More Noodles! CM Restaurant article

DesertRose

Inoteca...don't order the pizza. It was a soggy mess. That's not to say don't go there. You can get great wine at prices very reasonable for Thailand. Order their anti-pastas. Open for lunch, cool in this sweltering heat, easy parking, friendly staff.

David’s Kitchen has recently moved to new premises closer to the centre of town. The restaurant exudes class and style without being stuffy. Staff address diners by their first names and

Ugh.. bah.gif I seriously hate that.

If I go to a place 30 times and at some point the staff or the owner gets to know me on a first name basis then that's fine, but on a first visit having to introduce myself to a waiter? #$#ck that.

EDIT: I suppose I could tell them my name is 'Sir'... But really, I don't want to have to think about these things when going to a restaurant. I order, waiter delivers food. That's it. No jokes, not nothing. (This by the way is also why I dislike the restaurant experience in North America, with waiters who introduce themselves.. No.. just NO. I don't want to know, just bring me food!)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Great review of a Pasta & Basta

http://www.wayfaretrail.com/traveljournal/2016/4/11/pasta-basta

(Haven't been yet but will add reply when I do soon)

Maybe it will quell your Basta Pasta fix

I like the pizza at Inoteca and love everything else I've had on their menu

Can vouch for Pasta e Basta if you are looking for a pasta fix. Have been there several times already even though it's on the opposite side of the city from me.

Edited by ovenman

David’s Kitchen has recently moved to new premises closer to the centre of town. The restaurant exudes class and style without being stuffy. Staff address diners by their first names and

If I go to a place 30 times and at some point the staff or the owner gets to know me on a first name basis then that's fine, but on a first visit having to introduce myself to a waiter? #$#ck that.

That does come off as sounding a bit over-the-top.

give no. 1 on the list a pass. it's highly over-rated. went there with 3 others and everyone left disappointed. food is nothing special and it's over-priced (water is about 30-40 Bath as i recall - come on...) we make better lasagna at our house even. yes the wine selection is massive. the Italian place across the street in Meechock Plaza is much better. food is much tastier.

give no. 1 on the list a pass. it's highly over-rated. went there with 3 others and everyone left disappointed. food is nothing special and it's over-priced (water is about 30-40 Bath as i recall - come on...) we make better lasagna at our house even. yes the wine selection is massive. the Italian place across the street in Meechock Plaza is much better. food is much tastier.

Luckily we all don't have the same taste as only one restaurant would be very busy with us all there and we'd all be chasing the same chick (yes, chick is the latest PC term for woman)

But the point I want to make is that the cooking at Intoneca is definitely for refined palates (no need to trash talk me as I'm a self-admitted food snob already).

I find the pasta dishes to be the most well executed I have had in Thailand and better then most elsewhere as well.

No shame in loving a chessey lasagne or some of the ill prepared offering from across the street.

As for service with more then just a smile, I prefer to ask the server their name when I want to which goes for introducing myself too.

As for the establishment who is mentioned that does not wait for you to ask the servers their name first I find it to be another example of a place where the people running it should not be in the business in the first place.

Obviously the selection in the article is pretty uninspired as it reads like a PR company just reviewing their clients favorably (but I have no idea if these were paid for opinions or not)

Edited by junglechef

EDIT: I suppose I could tell them my name is 'Sir'... But really, I don't want to have to think about these things when going to a restaurant. I order, waiter delivers food. That's it. No jokes, not nothing. (This by the way is also why I dislike the restaurant experience in North America, with waiters who introduce themselves.. No.. just NO. I don't want to know, just bring me food!)

You will be pleased to know that this is not at all like a US dining experience. There is nothing of that ridiculous over familiarity. The waiters do not introduce themselves and you do not introduce yourself to them. The restaurant ask your name (and the name of your guests) when you make the reservation. Then they put a reserved sign with your names on the table. I suppose you could tell them your names are "sir" and "madam", but personally I see nothing wrong in being addressed, in a completely respectful, not a familiar, fashion, by my name. It is similar to the experience when you stay in a top end hotel---any staff who speak to you will know to address you as Mr. Kwai as soon as you've checked in. They will not tell you their names.

Luckily we all don't have the same taste as only one restaurant would be very busy with us all there and we'd all be chasing the same chick (yes, chick is the latest PC term for woman)

But the point I want to make is that the cooking at Intoneca is definitely for refined palates (no need to trash talk me as I'm a self-admitted food snob already).

I find the pasta dishes to be the most well executed I have had in Thailand and better then most elsewhere as well.

No shame in loving a chessey lasagne or some of the ill prepared offering from across the street.

As for service with more then just a smile, I prefer to ask the server their name when I want to which goes for introducing myself too.

As for the establishment who is mentioned that does not wait for you to ask the servers their name first I find it to be another example of a place where the people running it should not be in the business in the first place.

Obviously the selection in the article is pretty uninspired as it reads like a PR company just reviewing their clients favorably (but I have no idea if these were paid for opinions or not)

I read half of the suggested restarants page that the OP posted. First I thought You had to be a wine conosour or a wino. They then mentioned food which I am not qualified to comment on it as I have not been there. They then Said

Although outside of the centre of town, Enoteca is worth the short journey to see real-life Chiang Mai, away from the tourist trail, and is one of the most highly recommended restaurants in town

So now if I want to see the "real-life Chiang Mai" I have to leave the city as what we have here is I guess a fake.