Gov threatens social media malcontents

snoop1130

Gov threatens social media malcontents
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-83419300-1461845368_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada is threatening legal prosecution against social media users who share negative comments or rumors.

“They will face at least a charge of violating the Computer Crimes Act if the information is not true,” Governor Chamroen said. “They may also face additional charges for inciting destabilization, if their message has a negative impact on government policies or management.”

The governor cited rumors on social media about the recent demolition of Surin Beach structures as the impetus behind his threats.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Gov-threatens-social-media-malcontents/63780?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-28

We all know who determines what is true or not.

The absence of truth has never bothered the mud slingers here at the hub of conspiracy theorists and fanciful bashers. Being held responsible for the rubbish some posters spew would be a nice change.

Edited by Suradit69

"Where will this end?" - when Thailand gets the one gateway for the internet, maybe there will be no social media allowed here.

Same Same China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

when Thailand gets the one gateway for the internet,??

Think you are not following, they already have started this project...... 2-3 months ago...

And they will not tell you when complete.... due to national security....

coffee1.gif

Was on the Australian ABC News yesterday how a number of people have already been arrested and imprisoned for expressing an opinion about Prayuth. The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people.

Has anybody ever noticed that Thailand has never had Free Speech, before or after the Junta, so all in all not much has changed.

Even under Mr. T, you had to tow the line. If not from fear of the government, you could have to deal with personal revenge back then.

It seems that this Government is better at controlling themselves. Haven't heard of any forced dissapearences lately.

Arrests yes, and they seem to be quite soft for the first time, and letting people out of custody within a few days.

A far cry from China, where dissenters are locked up for many years with no release date in sight.

So think again, things are not nearly as bad as some posters here would like to portray them.

Business as usual.

If all the whiners would take a break for a few years we may see this country get back to some level of stability & prosperity.

All this infighting to get there noses in the trough has gone on far too long.

This country is in deep trouble and I am really frightened.
Where will this end?

What's next on the agenda?

These outlandish threats or fear of retribution should not become an excuse or justification for restricting freedom of speech. This is what made people and countries what they are.

Is it me or am I'm the only paranoid Ferang in this country not knowing what we face every month. Particularly now feeling we get bullied or punished for not doing as were told or else ?

Being democratic doesn't quite fit in here it disrupts the plastic harmony.

They say' the pen is mightier than the sword. Personally, living here I would rather get stabbed with a Pen ?

Just saying ...,,,

Has anybody ever noticed that Thailand has never had Free Speech, before or after the Junta, so all in all not much has changed.

Even under Mr. T, you had to tow the line. If not from fear of the government, you could have to deal with personal revenge back then.

It seems that this Government is better at controlling themselves. Haven't heard of any forced dissapearences lately.

Arrests yes, and they seem to be quite soft for the first time, and letting people out of custody within a few days.

A far cry from China, where dissenters are locked up for many years with no release date in sight.

So think again, things are not nearly as bad as some posters here would like to portray them.

Business as usual.

If all the whiners would take a break for a few years we may see this country get back to some level of stability & prosperity.

"with no release date in sight." - the military has been in control for near 2 years, yet, no "date in sight" of an election. Probably due to "all this infighting to get there noses in the trough." :)

We all know who determines what is true or not.

The absence of truth has never bothered the mud slingers here at the hub of conspiracy theorists and fanciful bashers. Being held responsible for the rubbish some posters spew would be a nice change.

"the mud slingers and fanciful bashers" - I think you have just defamed me online, which is also a breach of the Computer Crimes Act. I am going to the police station to make a complaint. You can expect a knock on the door soon. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

"Where will this end?" - when Thailand gets the one gateway for the internet, maybe there will be no social media allowed here.

Same Same China.

Think you are not following, they already have started this project...... 2-3 months ago...

coffee1.gif

I think it's you who is not following.

Yes, they have started the project, but I doubt it is operational as yet.

We will know when it has gone online, or should I say, "offline" when the plug has been pulled, at a precise time when they need to keep the masses offline, disconnected, and in the dark.

Hey guys, it's only the Phuket governor. He loves to be in the news and has his picture taken.

On one hand you are right.

On the other hand people get arrested, deported to brainwash sessions etc. for verbally criticizing the current developments on FB and the like. And that is firmly backed by Mr. T.

And remember that all governors nowadays are handpicked to be in line with Bangkok.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hey guys, it's only the Phuket governor. He loves to be in the news and has his picture taken.

On one hand you are right.

On the other hand people get arrested, deported to brainwash sessions etc. for verbally criticizing the current developments on FB and the like. And that is firmly backed by Mr. T.

And remember that all governors nowadays are handpicked to be in line with Bangkok.

Agreed, but still.....

Business as usual.

Mr. NO BRAINER - I think if your think this is any way a step to the democracy that was supposed to happen then I need not say anymore as your already have in one word!

Same Same China.

coffee1.gif

We will know when it has gone online, or should I say, "offline" when the plug has been pulled, at a precise time when they need to keep the masses offline, disconnected, and in the dark.

Supposition gentlemen! I use the GATEWAYS for my business needs - dedicated leased line and I can tell you without looking deeper the system has shrunk already and slowed to one third. And yes we have an outsoide IT monitoring and they advised us THE AGTEWAY is reduced already.

Business as usual.

It's only the beginning. Come back and say that in a couple of years time, if you are able that is. Your niaivity is astonishing.

Same Same China.

coffee1.gif

Supposition gentlemen! I use the GATEWAYS for my business needs - dedicated leased line and I can tell you without looking deeper the system has shrunk already and slowed to one third. And yes we have an outsoide IT monitoring and they advised us THE AGTEWAY is reduced already.

I was commenting more about how / when they will start their censorship of certain website Eg. Facebook, because with one gateway, they can control the internet use for the whole county.

Was on the Australian ABC News yesterday how a number of people have already been arrested and imprisoned for expressing an opinion about Prayuth. The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people.

"The story went on to say how the junta has its hands around the neck of Thailand and is squeezing tighter and tighter. All rights are being stripped from the people..."

That's generally what you hear from Western media sources just before a 'Color Revolution' happens in a 3rd world or 'developing nation', which in my mind telegraphs a "stay tuned" sort of message. Now expect more rhetoric from foreign NGOs clamoring about 'democracy' and 'freedom of expression'. I'm sure that Prayut and company have seen this before in parts of China and Myanmar (North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle East, and Eastern Europe). NGOs and other external foreign influence has been nixed by the current government in the affairs of the charter referendum, and if the NGOs keep clamoring internally within the country, I expect some will be invited to leave sooner than later, much like China and Russia have recently invited a number of NGOs to leave their countries.

I doubt another 'Color Revolution' in Bangkok or any other major city is going to get any more distance off the ground than a lead balloon.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting to watch as a casual observer. The only true 'democracy' that I'm aware of is in Switzerland. All other forms of democracy are rather weak 'knock-offs' in comparison: more like democracies in name only. The West has a bad habit of calling the 'kettle' black, well imho. Thailand needs to tread it's own path. The form of government they come up with is up to Thailand.