I Feel Like A Local

glenbat

well almost....

only been to LOS twice, both times pattaya (for my sins) and looking to visit again early in the new year, maybe to kanchanaburi or chang mai?

But for some reason as soon as i log on i head straight for the Isaan room..

any ideas why?

My only guess is the lifestyle you lot lead over there

Cheers anyways for the great reads and keep up the good work

Because Issan is wonderful I am sure you will wade throught Topics: Pattaya is not the real Thailand, I was in Chang mai and Chang Rai Earlier in the year touring with the wife and friends I rate that area more than Kanchanaburi.

Enjoy the forum come and see us all in Issan

well almost....

only been to LOS twice, both times pattaya (for my sins) and looking to visit again early in the new year, maybe to kanchanaburi or chang mai?

But for some reason as soon as i log on i head straight for the Isaan room..

any ideas why?

My only guess is the lifestyle you lot lead over there

Cheers anyways for the great reads and keep up the good work

Pattaya is not Thailand.. as you seem to have guessed..

If you want the proper lifestyle experrience...definately head for Issan...but whoremongers are inevitablely dissapointed..LOL

errr..go to Chaingmai ...... its not in Issan........

Edited by yorkman

haha cheers people, now i must admit to have been chasing the odd lady in patts, both times (hence the 2 trips in space of 3 months :o ) and whilst i could never bore of it, I think the trip touched me (no pun intended) and i would love to do something different this time, maybe volunteer work or something with the 'real' thai people (if they'll have me).. Whats the chances of getting something like this?

If you can speak Thai you could be of value but up in Isaan not many of the 'real' people speak inglit.

Mai ben lai. Go, its the real Thai thing, not laid on for tourists.

And as anywhere in Thailand, pleasures of the evening are available and not hidden.

Quite the opposite (although the dry sense of humour in the title could confuse some nations)

I was merely saying how I feel about the country and amazed at how friendly and welcoming most are, unlike countries in the West (uk included).

Granted I'm not a hardcore 'local' just yet, guess I need a whole 2 years under my belt for that but ultimately I'd like to wave goodbye to media coverage of gun massacres at schools, invading any country that has oil and corrupt governments and say hello to a new life in thailand.

And no disrespect to anyone but I'm sure the majority of falang (does that make me a local now, picking up the lingo?) in thailand started off by poking some Isaan ladies in Pattaya?

cheers everyone, and love the blog macb keep it up

Whats the Issan room?

Maybe im reading this wrong but from what I get is that you poked some ladies from Issan in Pattaya and now you feel like a local ? :o:D

maybe that coment is worthy of a caution from the moderators

I highly recommend getting away from Pattaya, and seeing the real Thailand.There is a travel agency in Bangkok I have used called "friends of nature" that really did a great job of taking me off the beaten path. Seeing the parks and climbing the mountains of northern Thailand was a great experience, and afforded me the chance to meet a lot of native Thai's outside of the tourist indusry. My wife is from Isaan, and learned a lot about her native country as well.

Whats the Issan room?

Maybe im reading this wrong but from what I get is that you poked some ladies from Issan in Pattaya and now you feel like a local ? :o:D

maybe that coment is worthy of a caution from the moderators

Why I thought it was funny and dry. Not bad for a Yank. Sorry Jeff

Edited by mpdkorat

with the 'real' thai people (if they'll have me)..

Yes, they will have you - that's one of the nice things up here, everyone is welcomed by default.

And no disrespect to anyone but I'm sure the majority of falang (does that make me a local now, picking up the lingo?) in thailand started off by poking some Isaan ladies in Pattaya?

Sorry, never been to Pattaya, and it is not high on my list either.... :o

with the 'real' thai people (if they'll have me)..

Yes, they will have you - that's one of the nice things up here, everyone is welcomed by default.

Sorry, never been to Pattaya, and it is not high on my list either.... :D

[/quote Seems that nearly everyone who attempts village life in Isaan , gets infected with the laid back life style and the fun loving village people, my first attempt at village life in Isaan started in may 1962 lasted not quite 4 years! and now 44 years on we still try to get back twice a year if we are lucky, By the way Pattaya was just a fishing village then with a permanent Pommy and Australian Tent on the beach, the first bar did not come till october 1962, that was only to stop the passing Septics from Utapao from scrounging our Beer!! So dear readers support village life in Isaan,I got myself a niche for my urn in the local wat , so I will never be short of Som Tam Palah and Lao Khao :o Nignoy