Singer Air Conditioners

Issangeorge

Well I lasted 13 years without AC. However after pretty much a month of 40° plus weather, and my wife spending about 5 days in an AC Bungalow, she got fed up and ordered an air conditioner yesterday, it was installed today. I had absolutely no input, it is a Singer, I didn't even know Singer made air conditioners, I tried a Google search, but couldn't really find anything in English. Does anyone know anything about them, have any experience with them? It is 12,000 BTU, which seems overkill for a 12 square metre room.

The In-laws have had a 12,000btu Singer AC for years,and it's been very reliable. I'd fact I've been using it in my bedroom for 2 years and they've got the smaller 9000 Sharp and my 2year 18 000 btu Mitsubishi Mr Slim has just packed up,wonderful I've upped sticks to the bedroom. Ah bliss

Edited by MAZ3

Oh yea, 12K BTU is overkill. 9K would have been more like it. Singer is now in the A/C business also but I expect their market share is small.

http://www.singer.com.my/products-categories/aircond/wall-series-cold-plasma

http://www.singerthai.co.th/newweb/en/about/company_business.php

My wife just informed me that it was too big for her room and that she should move it to mine, 21 square metres and get a 9,000 BTU for hers.

Oh yea, 12K BTU is overkill. 9K would have been more like it. Singer is now in the A/C business also but I expect their market share is small.

http://www.singer.com.my/products-categories/aircond/wall-series-cold-plasma

More information is needed before a decision is reached whether the unit is oversized or not.. What is the ceiling height? What design temperaure do you want in the room, calculations being based on an outside temperature of say 40 degrees C? When calculating the heat gains into the room, glass is one of the worst contributors plus a plasterboard ceiling which isn't insulated.

The ceiling height is 2.8 metres. The outside walls are clay brick with concrete rendering one 2 metre by 1 metre window facing east, the same facing south, the east facing one has lots of shade, the south some. The windows have heavy drapes, which would be closed for daytime use, but the room is a bedroom and would have very little daytime use. At night when the AC would be used the hottest the room gets, even in very hot 40° plus daytime temperatures is 35°, and would be cooled to no less than 22°, but more likely 25°.

Edited by Issangeorge

Singer is just a brandname, not a manufacturer of anything. Once upon a time there was a sewing machine manufacturer called Singer but the brandname has changed hands multiple times since.

In Thailand, as Lopburi3 suggests, it is really a consumer credit company.

Singer is just a brandname, not a manufacturer of anything. Once upon a time there was a sewing machine manufacturer called Singer but the brandname has changed hands multiple times since.

See Singer Thailand website and snapshot below for more details.

Business Operations of the Company

Singer Thailand Pcl., is the distributor of electrical products under the SINGER brand, such as: sewing machines and home appliances etc. Additionally, the Company also distributes various appliances and products for commercial use, such as: agricultural equipments and tools, Airtime Vending Machines, Petrol Vending Machines products, Slush Machines. This to meet the overall needs of varying customers groups from household consumers to small business operators, through direct sales via a network of over 3,500 Singer sales representatives spread out over 200 branch outlets located throughout Thailand. Therefore, the Company has a sales network covering the country to distribute its Singer sewing machines, household electrical appliances, and various products for commercial use.

Singer products and appliances can be divided into 2 major categories as follows:

Home Appliances

Sewing machines and accessories: sew machines, sewing needles, general lubricating oil – in drips and spray applications, and scissors,

Home appliances: refrigerators, washing machines, gas stoves, and air conditioners,

Audio and Video products: Flat screen CRT TVs, LCD TVs and LED TVs, satellite dishes, and home theatre systems

post-55970-0-45052500-1462111394_thumb.j

Commercial Products or Equipments:

Chillers/Coolers: Freezers, Beverage/Drinks refrigerators and beer coolers, Wine cooler, Ice Cream freezers and Slush Machines,

Vending Machine: Airtime Vending Machines (ATVM), Petrol Vending Machines, Water Vending machines, Tire Air Pump Vending Machine and Product Box Vending Machines,

Agricultural equipments: Water Pumps, Engines for general use, and Portable Fertilizer Spraying Machines.

post-55970-0-93936300-1462111467_thumb.j

Singer Thailand Pcl., is the distributor of electrical products under the SINGER brand, such as: sewing machines and home appliances etc. Additionally, the Company also distributes various appliances and products for commercial use, such as: agricultural equipments and tools, Airtime Vending Machines, Petrol Vending Machines products, Slush Machines. This to meet the overall needs of varying customers groups from household consumers to small business operators, through direct sales via a network of over 3,500 Singer sales representatives spread out over 200 branch outlets located throughout Thailand. Therefore, the Company has a sales network covering the country to distribute its Singer sewing machines, household electrical appliances, and various products for commercial use.

Singer products and appliances can be divided into 2 major categories as follows:

Home Appliances

Sewing machines and accessories: sew machines, sewing needles, general lubricating oil – in drips and spray applications, and scissors,

Home appliances: refrigerators, washing machines, gas stoves, and air conditioners,

Audio and Video products: Flat screen CRT TVs, LCD TVs and LED TVs, satellite dishes, and home theatre systems

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Chillers/Coolers: Freezers, Beverage/Drinks refrigerators and beer coolers, Wine cooler, Ice Cream freezers and Slush Machines,

Vending Machine: Airtime Vending Machines (ATVM), Petrol Vending Machines, Water Vending machines, Tire Air Pump Vending Machine and Product Box Vending Machines,

Agricultural equipments: Water Pumps, Engines for general use, and Portable Fertilizer Spraying Machines.

Don't believe all that you read Pib.

Singer Thailand makes money by buying cheap products, branding them, then selling on low/no deposit. You can imagine what happens after that.

The ceiling height is 2.8 metres. The outside walls are clay brick with concrete rendering one 2 metre by 1 metre window facing east, the same facing south, the east facing one has lots of shade, the south some. The windows have heavy drapes, which would be closed for daytime use, but the room is a bedroom and would have very little daytime use. At night when the AC would be used the hottest the room gets, even in very hot 40° plus daytime temperatures is 35°, and would be cooled to no less than 22°, but more likely 25°.

When you are calculating heat gains into a room George, you base your calculations on the worst case scenario. In other words, a maximum outside temperature of 104 degrees F against your inside design temperature requirement of 77 degrees F. With a single glaze window having a "U" value of 1, the brick walls having a "U" value of say 0.4 and an uninsulated plasterboard ceiling, a "U" value of 0.7, the total heat gains into the bedroom, including allowing for a 60 watt light and a maximum occupancy of 2-no. people works out at 9,461 BTU/hr. The formula for each item of structure is U value x A (area of wall, window etc.) x the temperature difference. plus 10 % infiltration factor through the windows and door. I hope this is helpful.

Home Appliances

Don't believe all that you read Pib.

Singer Thailand makes money by buying cheap products, branding them, then selling on low/no deposit. You can imagine what happens after that.

I bought a split cooling system with a brand name 'Morning Star' ten years ago for my bedroom. I asked the shop where it was made and they said, rather vaguely, that it was a manufactured in China. When I unpacked the system, I took a closer look. It looked very much like a Mitsubishi MS (Morning Star?) system with R22 refrigerant, now illegal to install in the UK.I had no worries that it would last after that and it's still going strong now.

In Canada we have a store called Canadian Tire, it is a large merchandising store that sells everything, mostly under their own brand name. I remember many years ago doing a tour of a Good Year Tire plant, back when they still made tires in Canada. The tires coming if the assembly line aỳ that time were branded Canadian Tire. We were told they were the same tire as the Good Year brand but branded Canadian Tire. I'm sure Singer works the same way, they buy a large shipment from an established air conditioning company, get a volume discount and pass it on to their customers. Make a small profit, but a large one on their credit charge. If it lasts ten years or more I'll be happy.

The In-laws have had a 12,000btu Singer AC for years,and it's been very reliable. I'd fact I've been using it in my bedroom for 2 years and they've got the smaller 9000 Sharp and my 2year 18 000 btu Mitsubishi Mr Slim has just packed up,wonderful I've upped sticks to the bedroom. Ah bliss

Update,the Mitsubishi started working again. FIL pulled the awning up and I think it got to hot outside(I'm in Kanchanaburi),and the old Singer still cooling my bedroom down nicely.

Anyone know who actually makes their Aircon units?.

Regards

The Singer Bangladesh website....at that Singer location it says they started manufacturing A/Cs in 2014, not to imply they didn't start earlier or later at their other locations.

http://www.singerbd.com/index.php/company/manufacturing.html

Manufacturing

Factory_Picture-1_Web.jpgSinger set up its first manufacturing facility for sewing machines in 1980 at Chittagong. 1993 saw the most successful diversification program of the company when its product range was enhanced with the establishment of a new Audio Video Plant at a rented premise at Savar near Dhaka. Initially, production was limited to Color Televisions but in 1994, Video Cassette Players were added to the product range. From early 1995, production of the Black and White TV was also started at the same plant. The company also initiated assembling of Washing Machines in 1996 at another rented premise.

The company established SINGER Electronics Complex on its own land at Savar, at the outskirt of Dhaka. The complex assembled Radio Cassette Recorder, Washing Machine, Sewing Machine at different times.
SMC started assembling state of the art LED televisions from 2011 maintaining the global standard of quality. It is also assembling CRT Televisions.

In 2013 Singer's manufacturing facilities went for further expansion by commencement of Singer Furniture manufacturing at the Complex. Besides, Singer started manufacturing Air Conditioners at the same premise in 2014.

And if a person had a Singer HVAC system the serial number would also identity the manufacturing plant...see below website where the labels would identify the manufacturing plant depending on the age of the unit....and to repeat below is talking HVAC, not split A/Cs.

http://www.buildingcenter.org/singer

However, take note regarding how the "Singer" HVAC air con name/trademark air con has changed hands over the years like at one point it says, the Singer named was owned by McQary International which was a part of the "Daikan" group...."

post-55970-0-51206000-1462182262_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Update,the Mitsubishi started working again. FIL pulled the awning up and I think it got to hot outside(I'm in Kanchanaburi),and the old Singer still cooling my bedroom down nicely.

Regards

If you look at the nameplate on the outdoor unit, you might find some clue as to where it originated from.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards

If you look at the nameplate on the outdoor unit, you might find some clue as to where it originated from.

Finally braved the heat(even though I have those big curtains protecting all the Aircons and water tank etc),unfortunately no metal name plate. Only some weather beated stickers,but one does state Singer WT-12SM1.

Can't find a lot about them on the internet,but still going strong, its been very reliable and its moved houses.