Rewire shower heater connection to make receptacle

User3

The only really good information I have about electricity is that it hurts....

I want to install a washer and dryer in the shower area of the downstairs bathroom.

The water connection will be 'T' at the wall and one hose to washer and one hose to dryer (steam drying cycle).

Finally- my question. There is no heater installed in the d/s bathroom but of course it is wired for one. I would like to use the existing heater wiring to create a couple of plug-ins for the washer and dryer. These would be put up high on the wall, say 2m or so. The washer and dryer will have two prong plugs. The heater wiring has 2 wires (red and black) and a green which likely is a ground. It would seem that as there is a red and black I would use the red on one side of the plug and the black on the other is that true?? If so, I assume there is no issue having the black and red on either side of the receptacle- they would be interchangeable?

The washer and dryer power consumption is 2400w each. What size wire would be safe to use for this? To be safe you'd have to allow for both appliances to be in use at same time I think, even though that is unlikely. Is 2.5mm2 cable ok for this? Or does it need 4mm2 all the way to the receptacles? It already has a 32A breaker.
How do you connect such heavy wires? I don't think wire nuts would work.

Any info appreciated. The internet is useless in searching for info about this as it assumes that everyone in the world uses 110v.

oops. spelled receptacle wrong and don't know how to edit it to change it... oh well.

post-116031-0-58445400-1461939656_thumb.

Edited by Crossy
Fixed the spelling in the title

I've fixed the spelloing eroor.

OK, nothing to stop you doing as you wish.

Change the 32A breaker to a 20A (to protect the outlets). We have a washer and dryer on a double outlet and 20A breaker, it has never opened.

Run 2.5mm2 3-core (you need a ground) from where the wires emerge from the wall to where you want the outlet.

You can use a connector like this:-

48931.jpg

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/48931

Or large terminal strip:-

217030.jpg

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/217030

To join the wires but put it in a plastic box for protection from damp and fingers.

You need a 3-pin receptacle for Class-1 appliances (trust me they are) which should have 3-pin plugs.

The 3-core wire you buy will probably be Black-live, White-neutral and Green - earth/ground

The wires at the wall will likely be Red-live, Black - neutral and Green - earth/ground

It's not rocket science, but it is important that you verify the wires are indeed dead before touching anything (buy a neon screwdriver), it's not unknown for whole houses to be reverse-polarity meaning that opening the breaker does not kill the power sad.png

2012.jpg

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/2012

If you're not confident, get a recommended local sparks to do the job smile.png

Just re-read your OP, are you sure the appliances have 2-pin plugs?

Are they like this:-

schuko-1.jpg

Which are Schuko plugs and are actually 3-pole. You can get the right sockets here if you hunt for them, they look like this:-

IMG_5704.jpg

But there's not room for two in a single back box.

Or you can remove the plugs and put local 3-pin ones on.

Oops. You are correct, they are 3 prong plugs on the appliances, not that I've actually bought them yet.

I'm wondering about the ground, in that I'm pretty certain there is no house ground so the green wire coming from the breaker box seems superfluous. If I run that green wire to the receptacles (!) for the washer and dryer then continue it outside to a ground rod would that be a good idea? Or is just grounding the washer/dryer using a couple of spade lugs on the panel screws and running that separate wire to a ground rod a better idea..?

....a recommended sparks to do the job...

Well, considering that the best one I can find is the one that wanted to run my new breaker box for the kitchen expansion in parallel with the existing one and thereby put far more potential load on the house wiring and power meter on the pole.. I'm a bit hesitant to trust him/them/anyone nearby. There is likely a competent Thai electrical person around here (Minburi) somewhere but I'll never find them/him/her/it.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it heaps.