Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickups are not expensive here.. much cheaper than in EU, this is a fact !

But others car made here or in Philippines are also not so overpriced.. sorry to tell you.

For example the Mazda CX5 is coming only with auto transmission (that's the bad point) but sold almost as same price as manual gear in EU.

Honda Civic, who whant to by this anyway.. but if you really want : the price in EU start at 1.08M thb up to 1.53M thb, so more expensive that here :

Prices are set at 869,000 baht for 1.8E and 959,000 baht for 1.8EL. The Turbo goes for 1.099 million baht and 1.199 million baht in range-topping RS spec.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/895188/new-honda-civic-thai-prices-and-specs

Camry is not available in EU.. so cannot be compared, Fortuner also not sold there.

But BMW and Mercedes or other imported brands are just double priced.. Am I wrong or dreaming ?

So you cheked with marked where have it

In Russia 2.0 camry near 700k B

3.5 camry near 1000k B

In US starr from near 800k B 2.5(sane in Russia)

We talk about local build car is it?

Civic pease look carful spec 1.5 if you want as i europe or in US. Its need import and i am sure it be cost more than 2 ml .

In USA its 1.5 near 730k B?

Fortuner why need? If have Prado even cheaper in some coutry.

And yes sure.

Camry just deep lover buy in Europe.

Becouse its be import car and price be as local bild A6 ,E class or 5 series.

In China even after come in market mark X camry drop down.becouse its much better car but for same price

And look GT 86

In europe its how much? Near 1000k bath? How much is in Thailand? 2490k?

Its not overpriced?

And yes pick up little be cheap.

But i am so surprised why just litle be? In Thailand labor cost cheapest.

And pick up its almast for work o for farmer.

In city its more used furgon

As sprinter from benz or ford transit

Wv transporter etc.

;)

So in Europe Pick Up not so popular.

And Look price in US.

Even i am not sure is it realy cheaper?

In US can 3.5V6 buy from 700k

Show me in Thailand some pick up with V6 and 3.5? And only 700k.

Or 5.7l?

And if we talking about overpriced.

So sure must have compare with salary.

So how many average work salary cost pick up?

My point

It all car overpriced in Thailand.

;)

Edited by ardokano

can you translate this please ardokano ?

Thailand road much better than Thailand choice car and car made for thailand marcket.
In Thailand road its fine. And have even where 200 km/hr.:)

But car choice so poor . And for thailand market bild car poor too.

As exaple check spec new civic 1.5 turbo. Slow when another market

3.5 camry and teana not have.

Only in new camry top version have ventilation in sit. I bean car under 2 ml.

Even perforation leather only get new model car.

In priviose model many brand(not lux) not give .

But its good option for hot climat market.

So yes in Thailand road better than car for Thailand market ;)

Derogatory post Removed

Forum Rule -

While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, l33tspeak, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

I think that most of us who actually live in LOS know the roads are crap because you never know when a pot hole will appear, especially in Isaan.

Anyone who drives at 200kph here needs their head tested.

Folk who say car builds in LOS are inferior to other parts of the world also need to think again. Strange how cars built here are also exported, Australia for instance..tongue.png

Road crap? ;)

Please road from you home to "mam" shop for beer its not ALL Thailand.

And sure trast guy who run 90k km 7 yaer.. its can? Is big experience?

:)

Not make me smile.

And can drive 200 km (mean road quality ) its not mean it MAST.

And whi think for Thai market same car as fo another.

Its sure need tested head.

1.5 civic its total different

Accord its different spec.

Its as example.

Edited by ardokano

I think that most of us who actually live in LOS know the roads are crap because you never know when a pot hole will appear, especially in Isaan.

Folk who say car builds in LOS are inferior to other parts of the world also need to think again. Strange how cars built here are also exported, Australia for instance..tongue.png

Not just the roads (which are often poorly or dangerously marked or cambered wrongly) they often have other users who should have never left their local dirt tracks.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Road crap? wink.png

Please road from you home to "mam" shop for beer its not ALL Thailand.

And sure trast guy who run 90k km 7 yaer.. its can? Is big experience?

smile.png

Not make me smile.

And can drive 200 km (mean road quality ) its not mean it MAST.

And whi think for Thai market same car as fo another.

Its sure need tested head.

1.5 civic its total different

Accord its different spec.

Its as example.

Do you really write like this by purpose ? Use google translate, it's crap but already way better than what you post here.. I can't understand you and I am sure I am not the only one ^^

These days I find the roads are quite good, especially now that they've started surfacing them with asphalt. Potholes seem to only appear during the rainy seasons. F.ex the the stretch from Korat to Khon Kaen is very good.

These days I find the roads are quite good, especially now that they've started surfacing them with asphalt. Potholes seem to only appear during the rainy seasons. F.ex the the stretch from Korat to Khon Kaen is very good.

But there is no way you can dismiss a pot hole showing up anywhere in LOS. They do not put 'foundations' into the roads for longevity, am sure LOS does not have access to supplies of the stuff to incorporate foundations to a road build..

I think the last time I saw a pothole in the middle of a major road was after the 2011 floods. I'm fairly relaxed when driving on the highways, the back roads are getting better as well. That wasn't the case in 2007 when I started driving around here. It's most definitely getting better.

But yes, doesn't hurt to be vigilant, there are other threats such as a lane suddenly being closed without any warning sign due to some construction, an adhoc intersection in a place no sane person would put it, or even a police checkpoint in the middle of nowhere.

As for premium cars and potholes, the mags on them aren't made of iron man suit material, they'll break just the same, as will the suspension break. The only benefit might be better frame construction and airbag system.

But there is no way you can dismiss a pot hole showing up anywhere in LOS. They do not put 'foundations' into the roads for longevity, am sure LOS does not have access to supplies of the stuff to incorporate foundations to a road build..

I think the last time I saw a pothole in the middle of a major road was after the 2011 floods. I'm fairly relaxed when driving on the highways, the back roads are getting better as well. That wasn't the case in 2007 when I started driving around here. It's most definitely getting better.

But yes, doesn't hurt to be vigilant, there are other threats such as a lane suddenly being closed without any warning sign due to some construction, an adhoc intersection in a place no sane person would put it, or even a police checkpoint in the middle of nowhere.

As for premium cars and potholes, the mags on them aren't made of iron man suit material, they'll break just the same, as will the suspension break. The only benefit might be better frame construction and airbag system.

Uhm there are still several major roads in Issaan that have gigantic holes in them. The one going to Amnat Charoen for example. Can't remember the number. Drove there just a few months ago and it was still horrible.

I dunno - some of the best roads I've been on here are Chiang Rai and Sakhorn Nakhorn.

In Sakhorn, I was lucky enough to be on one long sweeping dual carriageway - beautifully laid and hardly any traffic on it. All the cars keeping to the left to, so I put my foot down (knowing there's only 1 reason for them all to be driving at 100kmh) and at the end of the road paid my 300 Baht fine with a smile on my face.

The cop explained how that if I was stopped for speeding again in Sakhorn that day, to show the ticket to them and that I wouldn't be fined twice as I'd already paid. I'd have turned back and gone on that road again if it weren't for the wife.

I think what most people worry about with cars manufactured in Thailand is how corrupt the country is and that makes people in the west doubt the quality control performed here.

Yes the road constructions standards are not good but not because of raw material supply. There are good quality aggregates available here but Government priorities are not on enforcing design and constructions standards. The road construction standard, Thai ground conditions, wet season rain, poor drainage and relatively high truck axle loads don't lead to long pavement life.

Edited by Jitar

I think what most people worry about with cars manufactured in Thailand is how corrupt the country is and that makes people in the west doubt the quality control performed here.

Generally speaking Thailand is able to manufacture high quality products - hence it being such a huge manufacturing base for finished goods in Asia.

A lot of manufacturing quality comes from process more than anything. Those processes have historically come from overseas companies/managers.

Edited by Dagnabbit

Generally speaking Thailand is able to manufacture high quality products - hence it being such a huge manufacturing base for finished goods in Asia.

A lot of manufacturing quality comes from process more than anything. Those processes have historically come from overseas companies/managers.

Yes you are missing my point. I know they can make quality stuff here but to the average person in Europe when they hear made in Thailand they will imidiately think "cheap crap" because of the bad reputation and stigma there is on the country when it comes to anything outside tourism. I can garuantee you not one of my old friends back in Scandinavia would buy a Toyota they knew was manufactured in Thailand. They would want one made in Japan. Im not saying it's right. Im just saying that's the way it is.

Yes you are missing my point. I know they can make quality stuff here but to the average person in Europe when they hear made in Thailand they will imidiately think "cheap crap" because of the bad reputation and stigma there is on the country when it comes to anything outside tourism. I can garuantee you not one of my old friends back in Scandinavia would buy a Toyota they knew was manufactured in Thailand. They would want one made in Japan. Im not saying it's right. Im just saying that's the way it is.
Its right.

Becouse people who used both say same.

But if not used any better. So they do not know HOW can be better.

If you used Crown or Mark you can see low qaulity Camry.

If used prado /harrier for you sure Fortuner be low quality.

If try Some Chines car as Hover ,

very surprised, Fortuner not much different. Its more near than harrier to Fortuner.

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. DELETED. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

that is around : 602 293 thb per month.. before tax.. and He's the PRESIDENT ^^

So yes.. many people earns 1M per month.. it's well known..

wai2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif wub.png cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Take a walk up Sukhumvit 65. 150 meters up go sit at the noodle stall on the left if you can find a seat. You will see a constant flow of people coming to buy the noodles for take out. There are 2 people serving and doing nothing but packing the noodles and you can sometimes wait 15 minutes for them as the queue is so long.

Now - to think that the guy averages 10k Baht a day there isn't really a stretch of the imagination. 100 people at 100 Baht a pop. And yes - noodles don't cost 100 Baht but many people come there to take out for the family. Simple math.

As for 'rare' - people that run businesses are not rare at all. They run businesses because being an employee rarely makes you wealthy.

I presume you are an employee yourself. Nothing wrong with it. The president of France is an employee too. It is not a highly paid job. My last day job here paid $180k a year - and I know execs in bigger firms that earn a lot more.

I think you don't really understand what senior managers make in this country, both Thai and Expat. I think also you underestimate the massive difference in earnings between an employee and a business owner.

There's plenty of people earning the money to buy 8,000 BMWs a year.

You are simply not exposed to them.

I've been to army weddings here where there's more gold on display that fort Knox, not to mention a healthy dose of Benzes, Beemers, Porsches and Ferraris.... Plenty of wealth from corruption here too

Correct. Being an employee doesn't make you rich at all.

I was working in Bangkok for 3 years making 65,000 baht per month.

Now we operate a motorbike shop, car repair shop, car care shop here up North.

I am doing the same amount of hours per day (13 hours or so).

Motorbike shop brings in around 25,000 / day

Car repair shop anywhere between 100,000 to 200,000 / day

car care around 10,000 / day

Over here there are dozens of shops making the same amount of cash per day.

A coffee shop in central bangna (my old workplace) sells 300 cups of iced coffee per day at 50 baht a cup.

15,000 baht / day x 30 = 450,000 baht gross profit.

I can imagine that a noodle shop makes the same amount.

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. DELETED. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

that is around : 602 293 thb per month.. before tax.. and He's the PRESIDENT ^^

So yes.. many people earns 1M per month.. it's well known..

wai2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif wub.png cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Take a walk up Sukhumvit 65. 150 meters up go sit at the noodle stall on the left if you can find a seat. You will see a constant flow of people coming to buy the noodles for take out. There are 2 people serving and doing nothing but packing the noodles and you can sometimes wait 15 minutes for them as the queue is so long.

Now - to think that the guy averages 10k Baht a day there isn't really a stretch of the imagination. 100 people at 100 Baht a pop. And yes - noodles don't cost 100 Baht but many people come there to take out for the family. Simple math.

As for 'rare' - people that run businesses are not rare at all. They run businesses because being an employee rarely makes you wealthy.

I presume you are an employee yourself. Nothing wrong with it. The president of France is an employee too. It is not a highly paid job. My last day job here paid $180k a year - and I know execs in bigger firms that earn a lot more.

I think you don't really understand what senior managers make in this country, both Thai and Expat. I think also you underestimate the massive difference in earnings between an employee and a business owner.

There's plenty of people earning the money to buy 8,000 BMWs a year.

You are simply not exposed to them.

I've been to army weddings here where there's more gold on display that fort Knox, not to mention a healthy dose of Benzes, Beemers, Porsches and Ferraris.... Plenty of wealth from corruption here too

Correct. Being an employee doesn't make you rich at all.

I was working in Bangkok for 3 years making 65,000 baht per month.

Now we operate a motorbike shop, car repair shop, car care shop here up North.

I am doing the same amount of hours per day (13 hours or so).

Motorbike shop brings in around 25,000 / day

Car repair shop anywhere between 100,000 to 200,000 / day

car care around 10,000 / day

Over here there are dozens of shops making the same amount of cash per day.

A coffee shop in central bangna (my old workplace) sells 300 cups of iced coffee per day at 50 baht a cup.

15,000 baht / day x 30 = 450,000 baht gross profit.

I can imagine that a noodle shop makes the same amount.

Good for you.

Nice to hear when somebody gets rewarded for taking a little risk.

Of course, it's gambling, I also know people who lose much much money on their own buisness, employees just got salaries and indemnities at the end, and pension for old days, being a High ranked employee is also a good position then.

I heard before you talk about being manager, this is also being an employee not being a boss, you can be fired anytime here or in US.

I also have been building my own buisness, but so much taxes where i lived make it hard to be profitable, now being freelance gives me more time and much more money each month, but I still think of building own buisness very soon, when you do once you can't really stop, it's known that you have to start severals before getting the GOOD one.

Also I wanted to clarify things for buisiness here : don't you pay taxes ? And have employees, local renting, electricty bills, waters.. etc ? If you are small maybe not, but when growing you can't pass through for sure ! So Like I said before, to be able to get 300.000 thb / month benefit you have to get at minimum 600.000 in sales, and in fact much more. so when selling noodles I can say yes it's possible, but it's a minimum of 500 portions each day to sell.. that starts to be a lot.

Many buisness owners are just surviving, and many others are closing every day.. but that's also true that some have more luck or more skills and things are going pretty good for them, but that is not for everybody and every projects, and sometimes times changes and you can lose everything too.. or double benefit, the wheel can turn.

Anyway, I am happy for you JoeW, and I hope you still have time to enjoy life with your familly, otherwise what is the point ? A very good friend of mine is becoming richer everyday in USA starting several buisness there, but he already loose his wife and kids because he was not able to stop working, and too much pressure everyday, anyway he's got a brand new women now and seems to be happy ^^ but can see kids only each 6 month when going to EU.

So why giving them so much... i don't understand.

I was aking for leasing, because in my home country it means you pay per month without first deposit or a small amount and after few years paying by month you can give back the car to the seller or buy it for a good amount.

Otherwise we call it credit and it's usualy around 4 to 6% per year, the less you have.. the more you pay, that's not a big news !

But it's common to get a 0% credit rate for luxury vehicule brand, because they already put a higher price than what it cost really, and never give discount that will make a bad image of the brand.

When I ask about where to drive 200km/h I was not talking about public road , I hope you are not serious about that !

He got it on HP, that's hire purchase. In Thailand lease would be usually related to business purchases. For private buyers it would always HP with or without a balloon payment at the end.

3 Series is a very good deal at the moment, they are offering it on 5 series as well. Just make sure you get the recently released LCI model, and also be aware that there is a complete redesign due out in the next 18-24months. BMW have too much sedan inventory and are switching a lot of production to focus on the SUV market.

For those who keep comparing the prices in Europe, take into account import duties. For cars like the 3 series there's an 80% duty applied to all imported parts.

That is the problem: 180% of the price where it comes from, and theses taxes are not going where it should go, but in China it's even worst for thoses brands.. i heard about 300% of the EU price, that is not stopping rich people to buy it and show it around !

Of course, it's gambling, I also know people who lose much much money on their own buisness, employees just got salaries and indemnities at the end, and pension for old days, being a High ranked employee is also a good position then.

I heard before you talk about being manager, this is also being an employee not being a boss, you can be fired anytime here or in US.

I also have been building my own buisness, but so much taxes where i lived make it hard to be profitable, now being freelance gives me more time and much more money each month, but I still think of building own buisness very soon, when you do once you can't really stop, it's known that you have to start severals before getting the GOOD one.

Also I wanted to clarify things for buisiness here : don't you pay taxes ? And have employees, local renting, electricty bills, waters.. etc ? If you are small maybe not, but when growing you can't pass through for sure ! So Like I said before, to be able to get 300.000 thb / month benefit you have to get at minimum 600.000 in sales, and in fact much more. so when selling noodles I can say yes it's possible, but it's a minimum of 500 portions each day to sell.. that starts to be a lot.

Many buisness owners are just surviving, and many others are closing every day.. but that's also true that some have more luck or more skills and things are going pretty good for them, but that is not for everybody and every projects, and sometimes times changes and you can lose everything too.. or double benefit, the wheel can turn.

Anyway, I am happy for you JoeW, and I hope you still have time to enjoy life with your familly, otherwise what is the point ? A very good friend of mine is becoming richer everyday in USA starting several buisness there, but he already loose his wife and kids because he was not able to stop working, and too much pressure everyday, anyway he's got a brand new women now and seems to be happy ^^ but can see kids only each 6 month when going to EU.

Freelance is employment. Your maximum earnings are pegged to how many hours you can work as an individual. That isnt a business that can grow until they invent cloning.

My own business is internet based and so is registered where most tax 'efficient'. I'll say no more than that. More importantly it makes money when me and my staff are asleep because revenue is not directly tied to labor.

I work from home most of the time. Mornings I take the kids to school and go to breakfast with the wife. Afternoons I am there when they return. Sure I work long hours but I also have flexibility and so I get more time with my kids than most.

You arent yet running a business and you seem to want to make out like it's not so rewarding, are you trying to convince us or yourself?

The only reason 90% of employees have a job is because of a business owner.

The grass really is greener as a business owner and really the risks arent that great because you can always find a job if it doesnt work out,

Edited by Dagnabbit

I do understand what you are saying.. i was also running an internet based buisness, but being freelance developper for others online buisness is for now giving me more incomes than before and also more free times, but yes i am an "employee" of differents customers, some are good and loyals. And I like to do different type of works, so I plan to open a new buisness and keep my best customers that count on me for their buisness.

You are totaly right about "cloning", I got that point already, and i am not saying it's not rewarding to run a buisness, but it's sometimes not working as good for everyone.. many people loose a lot on that strategy too ^^ You need "something" let's call it skills or a bit of luck.

Seems you have found a nice way to get a good life : Good for you and your familly ! that is exactly what I am seeking, quality is more important than quantity.

So why giving them so much... i don't understand.

I was aking for leasing, because in my home country it means you pay per month without first deposit or a small amount and after few years paying by month you can give back the car to the seller or buy it for a good amount.

Otherwise we call it credit and it's usualy around 4 to 6% per year, the less you have.. the more you pay, that's not a big news !

But it's common to get a 0% credit rate for luxury vehicule brand, because they already put a higher price than what it cost really, and never give discount that will make a bad image of the brand.

When I ask about where to drive 200km/h I was not talking about public road , I hope you are not serious about that !

He got it on HP, that's hire purchase. In Thailand lease would be usually related to business purchases. For private buyers it would always HP with or without a balloon payment at the end.

3 Series is a very good deal at the moment, they are offering it on 5 series as well. Just make sure you get the recently released LCI model, and also be aware that there is a complete redesign due out in the next 18-24months. BMW have too much sedan inventory and are switching a lot of production to focus on the SUV market.

For those who keep comparing the prices in Europe, take into account import duties. For cars like the 3 series there's an 80% duty applied to all imported parts.

Correct ChesneyHawkes. I got on hire purchase. And yes. It is the new model with LED front and back and navigation included as standard.

That is the problem: 180% of the price where it comes from, and theses taxes are not going where it should go, but in China it's even worst for thoses brands.. i heard about 300% of the EU price, that is not stopping rich people to buy it and show it around !

It's pretty much the same as China. 80% only applies to cars assembled in Thailand. 300%+ for fully assembled imports

OK, so BMW and Mercedes here are not assembled in Germany... whaoo that is really really expensive then, even more than I tought... and compromise on quality for those who look to non Thai made machine.

By the way, EU BMW and Merced are still 100% made in Germany ? really ? I don't have much infos on that.

I wanted to buy the new Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo 1.7 million Baht (thinking japanese cars are good value for money in Thailand and not overpriced like European inports). Entered the shop three weeks ago and applied for finance at the Toyota dealer near sky train station Punnawithi on Sukhumvit. I agreed to 30% downpayment and paid a 10.000 Baht booking fee. 3 days later got turned down by Toyota Leasing (I earn 250k per month).

Pissed off I went first to the Mercedes Benz dealer near sky train station, applied for finance through their bank SCB for a C-class 350e at 3.4 million baht. Paid a booking fee/deposit 50.000 Baht. From the Benz dealer there went straight to BMW dealer Millennium Auto Rama 4 and applied for finance through BMW Leasing for a 320d at2.8 million Baht. Here again I paid a booking/deposit fee of 50.000Baht.

So now I had applied for finance at three different dealers, had one turned down) and had cashed out three deposits totalling 110.000 Baht. Last week I got my 10.000 back from Toyota (had to go puck up in cash). And last week I got turned down by SCB Bank for finance of the Benz. Thank God! Becuse next day the sales guy at BMW phoned me up and said finance throygh BMW Leasing for the 320d was ok. So now they are getting the car ready for me (cheramic coating and 3M window tints) and I will pick it up Thursday May 12th.

Had SCB said ok for the Benz finance Iwould have lost my deposit of 50.000 (still waiting for them to give me back though...3 weeks they say...)

I never paid a single deposit...

OK, so BMW and Mercedes here are not assembled in Germany... whaoo that is really really expensive then, even more than I tought... and compromise on quality for those who look to non Thai made machine.

By the way, EU BMW and Merced are still 100% made in Germany ? really ? I don't have much infos on that.

The car comes as a kit (CKD). Body, Engine, gearbox etc is all made in Germany. Just assembled here. The quality is the same, except from the leather maybe, which I found to look a bit cheaper than the BMW I have, which is CBU (assembled in Germany).

Think of them like Ikea cars. They are effectively "flat packed" in Germany and sent over.

As I understand it, there's not much local sourcing of parts like the Japanese manufacturers who source from local suppliers. A huge percentage of the whole automotive supply chain exists here in Thailand. Hence "the Detroit of the East" moniker.

If they didn't do this, they'd be even more expensive. Tax on fully assembled imported cars is 187-328%. The tax is reduced by 30% on the cars that are assembled here but whose parts are imported.

A car that is built here from locally sourced components doesn't attract anywhere near as much tax.

I might be off with the numbers a little but you get the gist.

Edited by Dagnabbit