Leaking Hua Hin attack footage "damaged the country" say authorities

rooster59

And here-in lies the problem with Thailand. They don't see it as a problem with the thugs hitting an old lady - they view it as a problem of the VDO being leaked. Their #1 source of income is Tourism - if they don't protect that industry they will fail. And you don't protect the industry by hiding the truth - you protect that industry by making it a safe place to visit. And while they probably couple not have stopped this (Short of having police presence there to begin with) - but they surely can make an example of these thugs with harsh punishment and highly publicize what happens when you threaten the golden goose.

This is exactly what the point should be... not trying to make excuses that fault somehow lies with the elderly lady or any other member of this family. An apology from the PM would not only send a message that Thailand takes this matter seriously, but that there will also be serious repercussions for anyone that causes damage to Thailand's image with such irresponsible conduct, intoxicated or not, with a very long prison sentence, regardless if such criminal conduct is committed by Thai or foreigner

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here-in lies the problem with Thailand. They don't see it as a problem with the thugs hitting an old lady - they view it as a problem of the VDO being leaked. Their #1 source of income is Tourism - if they don't protect that industry they will fail. And you don't protect the industry by hiding the truth - you protect that industry by making it a safe place to visit. And while they probably couple not have stopped this (Short of having police presence there to begin with) - but they surely can make an example of these thugs with harsh punishment and highly publicize what happens when you threaten the golden goose.

I take your point - however I wouldn't agree that Thais in general 'don't have a problem with thugs hitting an old lady'.

You are also right to point out that this video, and particularly the sensationalistic way it is being reported, could have a negative impact on one of Thailands biggest money earners.

But perhaps if incidents in other countries such as those I previously posted links to, were to have also been the subject of hysterical global media\press reporting, then it might be the case that the authorities in those cases would not have been be too happy for the CCTV footage to have been made public on a global scale....

Edited by Shadychris

But the elephant-in-the-room in all these threads about the state of things in los, is not what will be done about IT, but how MUCH of IT each of you will take before you decide enough-is-enough, and take the decision to pack up and leave ? There is after all, something deranged about ranting on and on about how awful it all is and at the same time volunteering to remain.

Hi

I`ve lived here 7 years, holidayed for far longer.

I`ve enjoyed my time and also have met good Thais ( most of them ).

I don`t like the changes I am seeing.

I`ve some " baggage ' in the form of a Thai partner of 6 + years, a poor description I`ll admit.

Other than neighbouring SE Asia countries which we have visited together, she has not seen much of the world.

Not rushing but planning to introduce her to a different part of the world, in my case that would be UK/Europe.

Not saying they are perfect at all but they are different.

Whilst I don`t actually plan to abandon Thailand, I would like to reduce my time here.

Not as a result of this attack, it`s been on my mind for a while.

This incident spurs me on a little, that`s all.

Just remember that you can take the girl out of Thailand but you can never take the Thailand out of the girl.

So, let me get this straight - if nobody leaked the video, this incident would've gone unnoticed, the culprits wouldn't have been caught and all will be well. Face saved, tourist dollars continue to pour in. TWO WEEKS have gone by and if the video was not leaked, nothing in the way of justice would have happened!!! Not that justice is served now. A 'wai' and THB500 fine. What a complete farce. And now the hunt to save face has commenced.

Fact is, this type of attack is nothing new. This is a bar area and every bar area in Thailand has resident thugs who take it on themselves to be some kind of vigilante force who leap into action when an apparent loss of face situation occurs.

I remember reading reports by Bernard Trink all the time of situations like this. Usually what happens is a bar deliberately pads a bill or otherwise tries to rip off a customer and the customer rightly refuses to pay and walks out. All of a sudden a group of young Thais appear out of nowhere and viciously beat up the foreigner, showing no mercy whatsoever.

This time was different because it was caught on camera and broadcast around the world.

it is all about saving face in Thailand. Hence the heavy penalties for releasing the video and a big public display of the perpetrators apologizing to the top police, but no real punishment being administered!

Every day some foreigner is being beaten by a gang of such thugs, .. this particular one is so despicable because an old woman was beaten, but old men are being beaten daily. I do not go out at night on my own any more as it is too dangerous for an old man alone.

Don't worry Thailand, your country is damaged and in a critical condition, and that was well before your week of shame that has just passed.

The tourists battered even when they were already on the floor and the Laos girl battered by a gang of "hard" Thai scum bags.

And if this report is true, the authorities should hang their heads in shame.

I also look forward to the authorities keeping the public informed of the judicial actions taken against the 4 scumbags that battered the tourists.

PS It would be very nice if the CCTV video footage during the night of the Koh Tao murders was leaked, you know the bar that for some reason turned the cameras off that fateful night

Edited by MorristheRunt

Well this or similar happen in every country....i remember than the english have a tradition to kick someones head over and over when he is on the ground...in any place in england or aussie when drunks gather outside a pub unprovoked attacks on bypassers are the usual with often lethal results...in germany gangrape happens way more often than published köln newyear and the police are masters of the cover up to practice newspeak newthink ...so why thailand should be different at a festival

Like songran when ever,body gets pissed like hell and releases a year long repressed anger...i mean i feel this what happened was a 100000% wrong and needs to be punished BUT keep the perspective guys in your homecountrys 100 times worster things are the everyday common so dont cry like babys when human beeings display there real inner selfes ...killing murdering torture rape is much wider spread in the world than compassion goodwill and love ..I guess 90 to 10 ratio want proove ? see all the wars now tchetchenia ukraine syria afghanistan northern africa many forgotten conflicts in central africa middle east etc etc and all sponsered by western and eastern guntrade and so called civilised government policys hidden from ur eye etc...

Somebody once said: "there is no such thing as bad publicity." There is always an exception to the rule though.

It should serve as a warning to all prospective tourists, and a reminder to those returning, you are coming to the "Wild East" and life is cheap, money talks and the locals and roads are dangerous.

Looks like the authorities are worried they can't find any foreign scapegoats now the video is public.

Som nam nar BiB. Time to see some justice?

crazy.gif

The people who beat up these pensioners are pure shit so of course they want to cover it up.

I'm very surprised that we now have official confirmation of this. Of course it's too late to cover it up now so they go after the person who did the right thing and published the video.

Note to self : buy more CCTV equipment to use in my buildings. I've seen with my own eyes how some of the local scum in Hua Hin operate and it really would make great viewing and is very newsworthy.

Looked like granny started it - she don't be doing that again in a hurry.

Oh so I suppose that justifys a thai flying kick... sick in the head ........Thai boy on booze.....Perhaps we should warn all grannies and grandpas not to come to Thailand and visit the neighbouring countries which are much safer and friendly and hospitable.... Thailand you amaze me.... Grinning lot....

No, it does not justify their actions - but is makes clear those Brits and in particula this woman have their guilty part in the story, too
Just like Prayuth said, farangs wear bikinis then they are to blame if they are raped and murdered.

Oh so I suppose that justifys a thai flying kick... sick in the head ........Thai boy on booze.....Perhaps we should warn all grannies and grandpas not to come to Thailand and visit the neighbouring countries which are much safer and friendly and hospitable.... Thailand you amaze me.... Grinning lot....

No, it does not justify their actions - but is makes clear those Brits and in particula this woman have their guilty part in the story, too
Exactly.

Sadly the scenes depicted in that video are commonplace to be seen late on a Friday or Saturday night in towns and cities around the world.

yep a pack of Thai animals beat Australians to death on Melbourne streets also. Luckily TAT doesn't have any power in Australia and these thai thugs are now in jail.

Yeah they actually should warn grannies and grandpas as well as women and children of all ages. It just really isn't safe for them. I have been in Thailand a long time and have never had a problem, but i wouldn't bring my grandmother or sisiter or daughter or anything like that to Thailand. It's not a family safe place for foreigners. It isn't.

Just like Prayuth said, farangs wear bikinis then they are to blame if they are raped and murdered.

I watched this news story on Canadian TV. I am wondering if the Thailand government and

their tourist industry people will try to hide this, and hope everyone forgets. It is time that these

kinds of thugs, get caught and face a long jail sentence. There must be a few of those

people who could tell the police what exactly happened. Lots of witnesses around. I have seen

a scrap or two in that area, but nothing like this event. Shameful, Maybe Binthabat area , will be the place to

either police more effectively, or shut some of it down. I am glad that this video footage was leaked out

as tourists should know that not all of Thailand is the Land of Smiles. T here are more than enough

people in Thailand who hate tourists, and are quite fast at losing their temper and attacking

people just like these older British folks. I have to wonder what the real reason for this attack

is. I think it is more than alcohol and being drunk. More likely it is about attitude, and lose of

face.

Geezer

Tourism isn't the number one industry in Thailand.

Two weeks ago a friend of my brothers son in Melbourne went to the aid of a friend felled in a pub brawl. He was attacked by a man who stomped on his head. He died.

These kinds of things happen all over the world fuelled by alcohol or drugs. Thailand has no monopoly on this.

The tourists are rich in comparison to the thug perpetrators. Therein lies part of the problem: divide between rich and poor which distills down to the core of the problem in this country.

The loss of face issue exacerbates the problem of course and Thainess only causes anger and frustration to be pent up rather than dissipated..

Let me state that I am not trying to justify the actions of thugs, rather getting to the reasons why a society gets this way.

The publicity/CCTV issue being attacked by the government is typical boneheaded unskilled management common in military dictatorships.

If you control the media, you control thought processes, if you control thoughts, you suppress and keep people under the thumb.

Thailand is in a downward spiral heading out of control. Only a matter of time before its otherwise previously good reputation is in tatters.

Until the divide between rich and poor is addressed, this problem will only get worse.

Places like Pattaya and Patong and the red light districts in Bangkok should be avoided, especially late at night. This will be more the case as time progresses without action by diligent authorities that are sadly lacking in the LOS.

Control freaks at it again! Use peripheral reasons to disguise ugly truths. sad.png

Never dealing with deep rooted issues - always the "low hanging fruit" syndrome. Welcome to the age of mass media communications.

To paraphase: The "authorities" may control all the people some of the time or some of the people all the time BUT NEVER all the people all the time!

Tourism is NOT the country's number one source of income, exports account for around 60% of GDP; the (direct) value of tourism represents 8% of GDP,depending on how it is measured, - manufacturing (32%) and agriculture (12%).

I have to say after studying the video the tourist asked for it and they got it. 18sec in son pushes Thai man,21 sec Thai man pushes son back 51 sec mom slaps Thai man in face,1.14 sec dad sucker punches Thai man 1.29 all hell break loose and apart from the kick to moms face they got what they deserved. I would of done the same had they done that to me. on this occasion I think the Thais deserve a break.