First time in Kanchanaburi

Becker

I will be heading to Kanchanaburi next mont for the first time and would like to ask the resident expats and frequent visitors for some advice. I have looked at Tripadvisor and other sites but prefer lockal knowledge as well.

What sights and hotels would you suggest? We're fairly active (think fishing, trekking, rafting) middle aged couple who do not want to stay far away from the "city lights", yet don't want to stay next to a karaoke. Our budget for the hotel is 1000-2000 Baht/night and prefer one with a swimming pool.

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, there aren't any City Lights.

Kanchanaburi is not Bangkok or Pattaya etc.

The city proper is very "local" and doesn't offer much to a foreign tourist seeking foreignised Thai venues. Plenty of gold shops and an interesting night market but little else.

Most tourists (even ex-pats) frequent the Maenam (River) Kwai Rd between the famous bridge and the Allied War Cemetery, just before town, proper.

Monger bars tend to be those along the pavement (sidewalk) such as it is.

The Thai venues (restaurants and karaokes etc) tend to be set back from the road.

But, apart from the sites (museum, bridge, cemeteries etc.,) there is little to do other than eat and drink (assuming you've ridden elephants and river rafted elsewhere, already).

If you're British, think of Kanchanaburi as being akin to a Thai Bognor Regis.

Hotel recommendations are very subjective and dependant upon your age (mental as well as calendar) and whether or not you are a tourist or are a traveler but Felix River Kwai for the former, Jolly Frog for the latter, any one of a score or so, if you are somewhere between the two.

Houseboats in the Sai Yok National Park are worth visiting. Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum is excellent. River Kwai Hotel is old but comfortable and has a pool and decent breakfast. My wife's cousin lives in Kburi so we visit regularly.

Houseboats in the Sai Yok National Park are worth visiting. Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum is excellent. River Kwai Hotel is old but comfortable and has a pool and decent breakfast. My wife's cousin lives in Kburi so we visit regularly.

Hellfire Pass is a must and can be combined with a visit to Erewan Waterfalls (if you plan a whole day out). Spend a few baht on hiring audio guide headphones at Hellfire Pass so you learn the story(s) behind the individual artifacts etc.

Find "The No Name Bar" and have a cheeseburger. I don't what seasoning the chef puts in and he won't talk. Visit the museum.

I'm not sure if they have zip lines there, but Thailand has a BAD reputation with zip lines and safety, so avoid at all cost.

Have a memorable trip!

If you go with bus take from bus station bicycle tuktuk guy instead of normal to your hotel. That will tell you same time when driving everything you want know and give you many paper prints where you can look places smile.png

I recommend to rent motorbike and drive around of so many national park what find and last day (monday-friday) choose Erawan where you can climb up to 7 waterfall and swim in every of that in way down. Saturday and Sunday there is too much local peoples so that is not so good days. Same with public holiday stay away. And why Erawan in last day because it is best place :) Some of national park is far away but sure worth of drive. Taxi is also possible but sure not so funny and much more expensive. If you are not interested waterfalls and national parks where have waterfalls and caves etc then maybe best go look dead railway where world war prisons work and die.

Hire a motorbike and head about 15 minutes out of town. There's a fishing lake used by locals. They hire rods out, too, and sell food. But they don't speak English. I was there and saw some locals catch some pretty big carp. Can't remember the exact location, but if you ask around some people should know. Head down walking street away from the town centre and onto the motorway and there should be signs.

There are also loads of fishing shops in the main town centre, not walking street.

Other than that, nightlife on walking street is pretty sedate and has a few live music bars. The Western cowboy themed one is good and the reggae bar so-so.

Good Times Resort is nice, has good food, pool & can arrange any tours you need or want to see. Ask for Aoi.

A little further out in Nong Bua is Xanadu Resort. Nice pool & tasty food. They too can arrange any sightseeing or tours you may choose. Ask for Dennis.

Good Times Resort is nice, has good food, pool & can arrange any tours you need or want to see. Ask for Aoi.

A little further out in Nong Bua is Xanadu Resort. Nice pool & tasty food. They too can arrange any sightseeing or tours you may choose. Ask for Dennis.

Both are located right on the river.

Yes Xanadu is nice,but a Bugger to find,run by a British bloke if I remember.

Historical train to Sai-Yok (beautiful country-side and river-side views) on weekends

Wat-bahn-tum (cave w/ dragon entrance) on/in a hill-side

Hell-fire Pass (can be emotional as well as historic place)

Mae-huey-kamin waterfalls (as beautiful as Erawan falls) and has camping area

Sangklaburi town - 200km northwest of Kancha- w/ beautiful temples, lake/reservoir, Mon village, Pagoda Pass, Burmese (border) town, longest wooden bridge in SEA, sunken temple, Jimmy Hoppe (Birdland) restaurant - 'a world character', fishing, etc.

So much you can do and see in Kanchanaburi, if you are an out-going and adventurous person(s)

And mixing with the locals -Thai & Expats can be lots of fun: river-front red-light area w/party boats/barges, and River Kwai Rd. of course

Enjoy!!

Take time to go through the museum at Hellfire Pass.

I'm not normally into them but I spent an hour reading the stories and checking the exhibits.

OP, as u say ur into trekking, u can walk the full length of the reclaimed railway cutting (9km but don't quote me) not just the first Hellfire Pass section.

It deserves a full day.

Have fun.

This time of the year you can find great places on the river (shop around when there) or on the opposite side of the main road going to the bridge.On the right side of the cemetery is a good museum about the Death Railway.When at the bridge there is an old museum that is easy to miss .Before crossing the bridge look back down the river toward town and you will see it.Take a car or bus to go see "Hells Fire Pass" up river .There is a great museum near the road and paths leading down to the pass.Go down one path and up the older one. Have a good holiday.

plenty to do there oble nights guest house has a pool, a few bars along the road, easy bar is a good one the owner will front a drink or two after you have come in a few times, ploy guest house is also a nice place tostay

Stayed at the Good Times Resort hotel and the Kanchanaburi City hotel when i was there a few months ago. Both just over 1000 baht i think, both very clean and pleasant.

The River Kwai hotel is well known (I have not stayed there) it is a bit of a walk away from the river but in easy walking distance of bus and train stations.

I will be heading to Kanchanaburi next mont for the first time and would like to ask the resident expats and frequent visitors for some advice. I have looked at Tripadvisor and other sites but prefer lockal knowledge as well.

What sights and hotels would you suggest? We're fairly active (think fishing, trekking, rafting) middle aged couple who do not want to stay far away from the "city lights", yet don't want to stay next to a karaoke. Our budget for the hotel is 1000-2000 Baht/night and prefer one with a swimming pool.

Thanks in advance!

Good Times Resort every time. We stay there several times a year. Book direct with them as they don't release all their rooms to agency. Staff all speak reasonable english and owners also have their own tour company.

Hellfire Pass is a must and can be combined with a visit to Erewan Waterfalls (if you plan a whole day out). Spend a few baht on hiring audio guide headphones at Hellfire Pass so you learn the story(s) behind the individual artifacts etc.

Ditto.......take the train up to Hell Fire Pass.....the landscape on the trip is spectacular! Trip is 45 minutes or so but very educational....you will travel part way on the railroad trestle built by the prisoners in WWII.

It was nearly 3 months ago but i did have issues with the Good Times own online booking facility. It appears you need a 'sort of' second confirmation to know you are definitely booked. I did not get it and discovered i did not have a room when i arrived. Hopefully it has improved by now. But i also agree JAS21 is right, there was wider availability of the various room types on their own site as opposed to booking.com

You should stay at Pong Pen Guesthouse! Nice resort in the middle of everything with a Swimmingpool and all the staff there are very nice.

The rooms start from 200 up! They have a nice restaurant with very good "falang food" and their thai food is very good to!! I bring a lot off freinds there and all off them haved loved!!!!

You should stay at Pong Pen Guesthouse! Nice resort in the middle of everything with a Swimmingpool and all the staff there are very nice.

The rooms start from 200 up! They have a nice restaurant with very good "falang food" and their thai food is very good to!! I bring a lot off freinds there and all off them haved loved!!!!

Only if you like staff with an attitude, and an owner who has her own aircon machine for herself and turns it off when she is not there.

Food is good? Where do you usually eat?

It was nearly 3 months ago but i did have issues with the Good Times own online booking facility. It appears you need a 'sort of' second confirmation to know you are definitely booked. I did not get it and discovered i did not have a room when i arrived. Hopefully it has improved by now. But i also agree JAS21 is right, there was wider availability of the various room types on their own site as opposed to booking.com

Just phone them up to see if they have a room ...or e-mail direct.

I'll be there on 29th as Mrs Jas is doing something with friends at a local Wat.

Archived