Thailand ranks fourth worldwide in fake goods trade, says OECD

webfact

Thailand ranks fourth worldwide in fake goods trade, says OECD
BY LARRY BANKS

Fake-Goods-Thailand.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has come fourth in the top-five countries where most fake goods originate, according to a new study by the OECD. China takes first place, followed by Turkey, Singapore, Thailand and India.

China takes the majority share with 63 percent of the estimated half-a-trillion dollar market for imports of counterfeit and pirated goods, says the OECD (Organisation Economic Cooperation and Development) and the European Union’s Intellectual Property Office.

Chinese-mad products accounted for 63.2 percent of all seizures of fake goods globally, while second placed Turkey’s share was just 3.3 percent. Singapore, Thailand and India stood at 1.9 percent, 1.6 percent and 1.2 percent respectively.

Full story: https://ethailand.com/business-news/thailand-fourth-in-world-fake-goods/2442/

-- eThailand 2016-05-02

This is about mass produced conterfeit goods from large factories exporting their 'wares' all around the world.

I suspect a load of people will be along shortly to mention fake DVD's and football shirts sold by pennyless street peddlers on the filthy Bangkok roadside market stalls rolleyes.gif

Not getting to stand on the Dias

means not even a bronze medal

that must be a good thing,

i remember all things fake came out of Taiwan,

now those skills have been passed on to the Chinese,

there would no industry if peoples desire for materialistic possesions

would abate.

just can not see that happening ,

This is about mass produced conterfeit goods from large factories exporting their 'wares' all around the world.

I suspect a load of people will be along shortly to mention fake DVD's and football shirts sold by pennyless street peddlers on the filthy Bangkok roadside market stalls rolleyes.gif

It's the counterfeit drugs that concern me. Thailand is awash with counterfeit pharmaceuticals and there is inadequate surveillance.

All those bogus consumer items are merely an indication of how serious the counterfeit medication situation is.

Counterfeit good are almost limitless, only limited by the imagination of the producers. There is a private museum in Thailand's largest and oldest law firm, which contains thousands of fake products, from name brand motorcycles to prescription drugs, to even light bulbs and the smallest consumer items. It's amazing, fascinating and disturbing. And, as Geriatrickid pointed out with drugs, very, very dangerous. Imagine a person with high blood pressure who fails to contain it and suffers a stroke and dies.

There are also many funny and interesting stories in Thailand. I know the attorney who represented Starbucks in Thailand in its suit against the little guy with the copy "Starbungs" shops. I can't disclose the details but the story is funny. You can google and read about it if you like.

555370.jpg

Not only fake goods, fake food products and medicine, fake policemen, fake soldiers, fake

government official, fake girls, fake ' I lobe you Daaling, " fake credentials, and so on and so

on... you get the point, but yet, still, here we are living in this fake paradise......

In Thailand also big worldwide brands like Hafele, Tefal, New Balance sell inferior quality products. They are not fakes but just cheaper quality especially for Thailand or Asia. In Europe those brands sell A-quality though.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainment-us-thailand-usa-ladygaga-idUSBRE84T0LJ20120530

Thailand's government is up in arms over a tweet by pop sensation Lady Gaga about buying a fake designer watch in a Bangkok street market and has complained to the United States.

Gaga's contentious tweet to her 24 million followers said: "I just landed in Bangkok baby! Ready for 50,000 screaming Thai monsters. I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy a fake rolex."

She was believed to be referring to the popular Ladies' Market in Hong Kong.

It just reflects the lack of creativity and innovation in this country. China is no different. Great at passing an entrance exam but absolutely no idea how to use that knowledge for anything productive.

It just reflects the lack of creativity and innovation in this country. China is no different. Great at passing an entrance exam but absolutely no idea how to use that knowledge for anything productive.

Making money is the only goal. That's why HISO kids ALWAYS study business adminstration at university and NEVER science or engineering. (also the workload)

Not only fake goods, fake food products and medicine, fake policemen, fake soldiers, fake

government official, fake girls, fake ' I lobe you Daaling, " fake credentials, and so on and so

on... you get the point, but yet, still, here we are living in this fake paradise......

Or are preparing to leave.....

Before taking the country to the cleaners, please read Alan Dawson's article in the BKK Post over the weekend to get a new perspective on IP and Thailand's rating. They say money let the world go around, in this case it is not the money that the Thai's are making but the money big pharma are losing, because the Thai government enacted a provision under the WTO agreement which enabled it to produce generic medicine.

Singapore is third? Singapore, the world's least corrupt country and one of it's most prosperous? How can that be?

As for Thailand, well, the department of investigation along with relevant agencies have been trying to put a dent in the fake goods trade by shutting down traders who sell fake wares in Aranyaprathet, but what did that result in? A huge riot sparked by angry Cambodians not happy to have their goods seized. Although some vendors have now been forced across the border (which is where they should be) some fake goods are likely still being sold.

​So it's not always the case that Thailand is the bad guy. I think maybe the lack of a proper police response (and army response, given the country is now under military rule) contributed to that failure, which occurred a couple of months ago. This is especially true in a country where nobody seems to fear any consequences, even Cambodians who are foreigners in Thailand think they can do what they want here if they don't get their way. Says a lot doesn't it, when even foreigners think it's OK to riot to protest something that the authorities have every right to do, which is to seize their illegal goods. What this country needs is more effective law enforcement.