2nd hand book shop

JaiLai

Very good one is Dasa books.

http://www.dasabookcafe.com/

I would NEVER call that Dasa Bookshop "Very Good" . ..... The Dasa Book Shop is THE BEST BOOK SHOP IN THE WORLD ! ! ! I am an avid reader of books and I have never encountered a 2nd-Hand Book Shop who:

1. Have an On-Line & Instant Data-Base of ALL of their Books in Stock

2. Have the "proven-ability" to take your order by e-mail; [you transfer the funds via ATM to them; send them a picture of the slip] and often < 2 days your books arrive at YOUR DOOR-STEP ! ! !

I don't call that "VERY GOOD"

I call that:

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ! ! !

clap2.gif

Dasa is a tiny shop selling mainly dry 'classics', very little contemporary stuff, which sort of reflects it's custom base. The best books, for variety and non-airport kind, are to be found in the Rattanakosin and Banglamphu areas. Sod all in Sathorn/Silom and trek to Dasa disappointing waste of time and money.

There is a well stocked second hand buy and sell book shop about 100 metres west up Sukhumvit from the Robin Hood pub near Phrom Pong BTS.

That used to be called Elite Used Books, not sure if it still is. I much preferred it to Dasa. Dasa always seemed a bit pretentious to me and selection was not as varied, particularly with cheap popular easy read thrillers.

Haven't been there in years (7+) since I got a Kindle and especially since I was given a memory stick with some 3,000 ebooks. Amazon has tons of books for same price as used ones.

TH

Dasa is a tiny shop selling mainly dry 'classics', very little contemporary stuff, which sort of reflects it's custom base. The best books, for variety and non-airport kind, are to be found in the Rattanakosin and Banglamphu areas. Sod all in Sathorn/Silom and trek to Dasa disappointing waste of time and money.

Very true. Shaman books in khaosan (and a few others round there) often boast a great selection of unusual and rare titles, philosophical and literary, old and new. Same story with Chiang Mai with some of the city centre bookshops, some of the best selections in South East Asia.

To be fair though, Dasa probably is the best in lower Sukhumvit area.

Edited by lamyai3

There is a well stocked second hand buy and sell book shop about 100 metres west up Sukhumvit from the Robin Hood pub near Phrom Pong BTS.

They are easy to find and not very expensive, but sadly the books are in no order and its impossible to search for anything, you can only browse...

It used to be called the Elite bookshop many years ago and was run by a Thai lady and her son.

It was packed solid with books and awkward to get around inside but it was a wonderful place.

It was bought out a few years ago, then primped and tidied out of recognition. The old owners used to love books but the staff there now are on their smart phones and just sell the books with no interest in them.

Sad really.

Very true. Shaman books in khaosan (and a few others round there) often boast a great selection of unusual and rare titles, philosophical and literary, old and new. Same story with Chiang Mai with some of the city centre bookshops, some of the best selections in South East Asia.

To be fair though, Dasa probably is the best in lower Sukhumvit area.

Shaman has moved OUT of hi-priced KSR a year or 2 ago by now. Its now on Chakrapongse, opposite side of police and much, much smaller as before. I think there is not any shop still dealing in printed books remaining on KSR.

There is just 1 other shop remaining near KSR: on SOI Rambuttree, beside temple, a littel further as Rambutri-INn, has all western languages.

IN this area are only remaining a few stands, all run by Indo-Burmese, mainly in hi-priced 2nd hand LPs etc.

You might also want to take a look at the dump-deprmt. of AsiaBOOks, which used to be in Erawan centre, but has moved to Chamchuree plaza, lower cellar floor.

I indeed found the ChiangMai shops all much larger, cheaper (partly) but most seemed stuck in time-seemingly having nothing from after 2005. half of them were doing grand-scale sell-outs, giving up bisnis (visit in jan '16)

Dasa is good and the owner friendly, lots more books upstairs, online list of books

Prior to getting my kindle, I had been doing the used bookstore exchange for many years in several countries. Dasa was the first time a store refused a book simply because he had one already. Never went back.

TH