how to disable unwanted administrator account for Windows 10

fvw53

Upgraded to windows 10 and it sort of created a duplicate account for an administrator, and now instead of just booting up the desktop PC, it logs in on default to that new empty administrator account, then i have to manually switch to my own account.

(my own account has administrator status and I am the only one with access to my PC)

On the internet there are all kind of confusing suggestions to get disable (one cannot delete or uninstall it) the unwanted and delaying administrator account : if a TVF member has succeed to disable it I would be glad to learn about his or her way of doing it.

Thanks Chicog

I right clicked This PC but when clicking on Manage nothing happened and one time I was instructed to go to Control Panel and User Accounts where my Local Account is shown as well as the unwanted new Administrator Account. There is no option to modify this new Administrator Account.

Are you using Windows 10?

Yes, but are you on Windows 10 Home?

I'm on Pro.

Can you look at Properties on your Local Account? Is it a member of the administrators group?

If not then you probably don't want to disable Administrator as you may need it later.

Just set a very complex password and write it down somewhere safe.

Edited by Chicog

Make sure you are selecting "Sign out" rather than "Switch user" when going from the newly created Administrator account (that you want to delete) to your own account (that you want to keep).

You can't delete an account if that account is signed in. It can be confusing because it is possible for the machine to be signed in to multiple accounts at the same time without that being obvious.

Then go to (the old style) Control Panel/User Accounts/Manage another account. Select the account that you want to delete then click "Delete the account", Delete Files, and then Delete Account.

If those options are not available you need to check whether your own account really has Admin status.

My own Local Account has administrator status

The new and unwanted Administrator account can according to many internet information not be deleted and only disable ...but in my Win 10 the option to able is not offered.

Seems like I have to install W10 to keep up with new problems blink.png

From old experience.

Windows always has a built in administrator account.

This can not be deleted.

AND: it is normally disabled (not visible, not interactively usable).

From what OS did you upgrade?

Has there been a special hack been used (in the past) to enable the built-in administrator account.

To get a clearer picture.

After starting up the PC to the "unwanted" account:

Open a cmd prompt:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/open-a-command-prompt-window

Enter the following command:

whoami /user

What number do you see at the end of the response line?

Is it "500"?

Is it "1000"?

It it "1001"?

or what else?

Repeat this with your wanted account.

500 is the built-in administrator which should never appear as a desktop user.

SID: S-1-5-21domain-500
Name: Administrator
Description: A user account for the system administrator. By default, it is the only user account that is given full control over the system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243330

(I hope and bet that these commands still work in W10)

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm on Pro.

Can you look at Properties on your Local Account? Is it a member of the administrators group?

If not then you probably don't want to disable Administrator as you may need it later.

Madame, this could really cause huge problems. I had the same problem on one of the school's PC's. No way to sign in again. Of course did i have a back up.

I'm the only ADMINISTRATOR of my machines and i do not want a Microsoft take over account.

OP, if you can't solve this problem, r e s e t the bit.. and keep all your files. Doesn't take too long.

Edited by lostinisaan

I'm on Pro.

Madame, this could really cause huge problems. I had the same problem on one of the school's PC's. No way to sign in again. Of course did i have a back up.

I'm the only ADMINISTRATOR of my machines and i do not want a Microsoft take over account.

OP, if you can't solve this problem, r e s e t the bit.. and keep all your files. Doesn't take too long.

Firstly, you should not use an Admin account for day to day use, elevated privileges are a hackers dream.

Secondly, I said "write it down and put it somewhere safe".

"reset the bit" what on earth are you on about?

My own Local Account has administrator status

The new and unwanted Administrator account can according to many internet information not be deleted and only disable ...but in my Win 10 the option to able is not offered.

Isn't it nice that good old command prompt is still the way to go, so I am prepared for W10 now biggrin.png

See also my post #8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYQUxQROCY

Edited by KhunBENQ

https://askleo.com/how-do-i-switch-back-to-a-local-account-sign-in-for-windows-10/

After rebooting with the guidelines of above link I entered once more with the old unwanted Administrator account

Now I am going to try to solution proposed by KhunBENQ and I will keep the kind TVF members updated

Allelujah ...the video proposed by KhunBenq provided the right solution

My mistake was that I had to disable from the unwanted Administrator account and not from my own Local Account (which had administrator status)