Lots of cops at Hillside 4 right now

hspace

Maybe this will hit the news tomorrow. There's 6-8 cops with surgical masks on the 9th floor, with another 6-8 workers and 2-3 more cops at the lobby. They're milling about and taking turns to enter one of the apartments. Some funky smell in the air, but I don't think smells like a dead body. Wonder what's going on! My Thai is not good enough to ask

>> Some funky smell in the air, but I don't think smells like a dead body.<< You know what a dead body smells like ?..Chances somebody died through natural causes most likely .Probably will not be reported in the media .

'gert arai kap' , what's happening?

Then, if they understand, they will reply in Thai.

Then what?

grunt and nod 3 times.

Always works for me.

Me too until I accidentally agreed to marry a ladyboy.

No news really....an American died in his condo........the smell told the story....been dead a week they think

Just as i thought .Do you know his name ? Its just that i knew an old American living there ,but there is probably many of them .

No news really....an American died in his condo........the smell told the story....been dead a week they think

Just as i thought .Do you know his name ? Its just that i knew an old American living there ,but there is probably many of them .

From The Nation newspaper: Perry Boomershine 66 yo

From The Nation newspaper: Perry Boomershine 66 yo

No not the guy i knew then ,but around the same age .

So sad. This points to the need for people who live alone to develop a social network so that someone will check in on them every day. It can be as simple as if they go to the same place every day for breakfast, they tell the staff to "come to my room if I don't show up by 10 am" or perhaps they have a buddy they call every day by a certain time and if that friend doesn't hear from him, he comes to the condo to see if he's OK.

I don't know the facts here, but perhaps the recent power outages contributed to the problem. Perhaps the aircon wasn't working and poor Perry collapsed and was unable to use his mobile to call for help due to the heat affecting his thinking.

He had worked as an MD in NYC, and worked for USAID and several NGOs. I spoke with a high school classmate of his. Looks like Perry's sister had already been in contact with authorities. RIP, and as Nancy stated, this is another great reason to have a network of people that simply make sure you're alive, at least. Diabetes is a killer.

A lot of elderly diabetics give themselves their evening insulin injections and then sit down and watch television and fall asleep, forgetting to eat their dinner. Then their blood sugar drops to almost nothing and they become fuzzy and pass out. They will eventually die if no one comes to check on them and gets them help. Older diabetics really need a support system.

So sad. This points to the need for people who live alone to develop a social network so that someone will check in on them every day. It can be as simple as if they go to the same place every day for breakfast, they tell the staff to "come to my room if I don't show up by 10 am" or perhaps they have a buddy they call every day by a certain time and if that friend doesn't hear from him, he comes to the condo to see if he's OK.

I don't know the facts here, but perhaps the recent power outages contributed to the problem. Perhaps the aircon wasn't working and poor Perry collapsed and was unable to use his mobile to call for help due to the heat affecting his thinking.

Yes another sad case happening far to regularly in Thailand to our aging expat friends.

We are about to head back to Australia soon and my thai wife is going to complete a cert 3 in aged care and assisted living, her idea is to come back to Thailand and train other thais and start up a home assist business based on an Australian model, which would involve daily visits to the aged and help them with any needs, such as showering ,cooking,cleaning, making sure they are taking their meds etc etc.

I think she is on a good idea, im sure there is a demand, any ideas would be appreciated

Yes another sad case happening far to regularly in Thailand to our aging expat friends.

We are about to head back to Australia soon and my thai wife is going to complete a cert 3 in aged care and assisted living, her idea is to come back to Thailand and train other thais and start up a home assist business based on an Australian model, which would involve daily visits to the aged and help them with any needs, such as showering ,cooking,cleaning, making sure they are taking their meds etc etc.

I think she is on a good idea, im sure there is a demand, any ideas would be appreciated

Yeah! This is definitely needed. There are several facilities in the area where older expats can go to live with they get to the point that they can't care for themselves, but they aren't anywhere close to full because they are out-of-town and there

isn't an easy way for the residents to come into town to enjoy their regular social life.

I receive calls nearly every week from people looking for caregivers to come to their homes and there simply aren't trained people available. There is a huge need for this service. Expats want to stay in their homes, and many struggle and sometimes rely on

unskilled people who begrudging help them with bathing, managing medications, preparing foods,picking up items from the store, yet are more than willing to help them go to the bank to get their monthly pension. Or if they don't want to be a victim of exploitation, then attempt to manage on their own, sometimes with tragic results.

Absolutely agreed that this would be a very viable business.. Thailand is aging and the older social models of parents living communally with multi generations is not going to last.

People need to be careful when they talk about business viability blithely. Over in China, a country with a similar income per capita to Thailand and with a history of elderly parents being cared for by their children, it turns out that industrialization and urbanization has led to parents being abandoned in their old age. China had to pass a law to force people to care for their parents and it will be interesting to see just how enforceable that is in practice.

It is also true that in China the senior care market is undergoing a quiet boom though "the cost per month" the Chinese are able/willing to pay suggests that that care can't be up to much.

Businesses become viable when there are customers willing to pay for what they have and they can make a decent profit. The former is not yet proven here (except for the small section of the retiree community which might be able to afford such a service - many of those seeking care here probably cannot). Many of those who can afford care would be better off moving to the Philippines where there is an excess of highly trained, highly skilled care workers willing to work for peanuts - compared to the low skill market here. The latter part, making profit is an even bigger doubt. Cue endless threads of "why isn't my medicine free when I pay for a home help?" and "why doesn't my Thai nurse's village pay for my wheelchair?".