Thai Family member visit to uk

Hi All

New to this so dont know if i'm posting in the correct place but i will through it out there and see what comes back im sure if i'm in the wrong area someone will let me know.

My Wife is Thai we live in the UK and she will receive her residency visa in the next few weeks after being here for 5 years we have twin boys who are 3 and a half years old and she is pregnant with our third which is due in late October.

Because she still does not drive and the boys are a handful we would like to bring a family member over to help for a few months as i don't have family local that can help and i run my own engineering business so its hard for me to take to much time of as we spend a month around xmas in Thailand every year.

The obvious sibling is my wife's younger brother he is 24 she has 4 sisters but they all have children themselves i have searched for an application for and from what i understand I need a VAF1B form for visiting family although the government site only has a VAF1A application form is the B form obsolete ??

Is it possible if he gets a passport in Surin for me to complete all the paperwork for his visa in the uk and act as his sponsor he will live with us and i would support him pay for his tickets etc etc.

He is from the Buriram area and is from a farming background so the paperwork side of things would be hard from his end.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

I will also be posting for advise on a move to Thailand although the plan is around six years from know we will be looking at starting a long term build project on a house i am designing we have the land and would be looking at raising the land up next year.

I'm getting ahead of myself so thanks ahead for any reply on my main subject and any advice on were i should be posting etc.

Kind Regards

Thor

• 2 weeks later...

As no one has replied

Yes you can fill in the form and supply most of the paperwork but he will have to go to Bangkok to submit it.

Your biggest issue is providing convincing evidence of his reason to return to Thailand. I presume he does not have a regular job/family/business/etc. or he would not be able to get months off.

Best of luck

• Like 1

I didn't reply to this at the time, as it was in the difficult pile.

There is a visa category whereby a person can apply to visit the UK as a domestic worker, including looking after children, but I don't think your brother in law qualifies as I believe this visa is designed for people visiting the UK who bring a domestic worker with them, and they must have been in their employ for twelve months.

So that leaves the Standard Visit Visa, this category of visa encompasses many previous visa categories, including family visit visas. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

Visitors to the UK, under this category, cannot do any work, either paid or unpaid, so in the circumstances you describe I suspect a visa wouldn't be granted.

If he were to apply for a standard visit visa, he would need to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that he was a genuine visitor to the UK, that the visit was affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities he would return to Thailand after his holiday. In order to satisfy the ECO of his reasons to return he would need to demonstrate his strong ties to Thailand, again, in the circumstances you describe I'm not sure that he would be able to do that.

I'm not sure that there is a visa category that fits your needs, if you want to explore the option further maybe contact the guys at Thaivisa express, the forum sponsors, they maybe able to suggest another option.

• Like 1