Brutal Hua Hin attack: Bashed British couple fly home on Tuesday

webfact

Bashed British couple fly home on Tuesday

0305001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The elderly British couple badly beaten up by four Thai men in Hua Hin on Songkran day left Thailand for home in Britain on Tuesday.

Before the couple’s departure, Mrs Rosemary Owen said her family would like to thank all who took good care of them while they were being treated at the Bangkok hospital in Hua Hin.

However, she admitted that it was difficult for her to forget the incident. She said that she was afraid and felt stressed during her encounter with the four suspected assailants at the Hua Hin provincial court on Monday.

The couple and their son were badly beaten up until they went unconscious in a lane thronged by hundreds of locals and foreign tourists after their son accidentally bumped on one of the alleged assailants.

Mrs Lisa Oengheng, president of Tourism Business Association of Hua Hin and Cha-am, bid farewell to the couple at the Suvarnabhumi international airport.

She admitted that the Hua Hin incident had badly affected Thailand’s image in the eyes of foreign tourists.

Mrs Lisa said that the couple would like to thank a lei-selling boy who launched a campaign to raise fund to pay for the medical bills for the couple by selling his leis. But so far the boy has not been located, she added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162004

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-04

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are having to pick up there medical bills that's a crime on its own... The authorities should have picked the bill up if only as a goodwill gesture... Regardless of who did what and when there is no justification for the level of violence shown in this attack.. And once again the big issue being the damage to Thai tourism and the country...The General could have done himself some big favours by coming out and deploring this incident! and insisting the perps are punished correctly.

Case Closed... under the carpet it goes.... SOS

YEP... and now all CCTV cameras are said to be switched off...(off the record) so that it would not get that much attention and face loosing competition on instantly with no warning..... Aaaah.....my brain hurts.....

I find it disgusting to hear that the family had to also pay for their hospital bill after being beaten up by Thai drunken thugs.

I feel that the Thai government - tourism authority who are so worried about the damage to their tourism trade should pay their hospital bills, where is the compensation bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif.

When Thai people do things of this nature then the Thai government should be held responsible for any expenses and damages done by their own people or is this expecting too much from this country cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by Hooliganzone

....they were stuck with the medical bill...???

....they should sue.....

...for everything......

....and their government should help/support/back them...

....all we hear about is 'how safe Thailand is for tourists'.....etc....

...this is another travesty.....

....they were stuck with the medical bill...???

....they should sue.....

...for everything......

....and their government should help/support/back them...

....all we hear about is 'how safe Thailand is for tourists'.....etc....

...this is another travesty.....

Allcapsman is not a big fan of los I guess? ?

The medical bills for the three Brits would have been rather high, but I doubt that the criminal court will impose any restitution fine against the Thai thugs. They most likely haven't got two baht to rub together, and you can't get blood out of a stone.

As with most street assaults anywhere in the world, the selfish perpetrators don't consider (or don't care about) the long-term injuries to the victims or the financial consequences of their actions.

If they are having to pick up there medical bills that's a crime on its own... The authorities should have picked the bill up if only as a goodwill gesture... Regardless of who did what and when there is no justification for the level of violence shown in this attack.. And once again the big issue being the damage to Thai tourism and the country...The General could have done himself some big favours by coming out and deploring this incident! and insisting the perps are punished correctly.

It always surprises me when I read some think the Thai people/government will anything good as goodwill gestures. Get over it this is Thailand

What was the purpose of the court visit on Monday? I was under the impression that a trial had started but obviously not.

They gave evidence to the court pre-trial, which will be held at a later date. Perhaps, if not brushed under the carpet.

I do hope the media and social media will continue to track such stories - just like they did with the Koh Tao Case. We need to know what punishment these people eventually receive. Anything less than substantial jail sentences would just serve to make a double travesty. If the media spotlight continues to focus on such cases, then we might actually contribute to making a difference here. This country cannot hide away all of its' inadequacies any more because social media helps to bring these stories out. When the Courts start to issue punishments that bear some correlation to the crimes committed - on a consistent basis, then maybe we will some some improvements. However, no progress can ever be expected to be made whilst ever the Police / Courts accept apologies and remorse on the grounds of being intoxicated with some sort of substance and issuing 500 Bht Fines as some sort of closure. Accepting apologies with 10 year prison sentences would be a reasonable starting position for most of these particular perps, - with an attempted murder charge for the piece of trash that delivered the knock out kick to the old lady whilst she was already on the floor. This hard line approach should be led from the top for Thailand - and applicable to anyone and everyone who commits crime here - all treated equally, natives or foreigners !!

YEP... and now all CCTV cameras are said to be switched off...(off the record) so that it would not get that much attention and face loosing competition on instantly with no warning..... Aaaah.....my brain hurts.....

Apparently the big 'man' has ordered the police to hunt down and arrest the person releasing the footage of the attack as it damages Thailand's reputation!

"face loosing competition on instantly with no warning..... Aaaah.....my brain hurts....."

After reading that I'm experiencing a little cerebral discomfort myself.

I do hope the media and social media will continue to track such stories - just like they did with the Koh Tao Case. We need to know what punishment these people eventually receive. Anything less than substantial jail sentences would just serve to make a double travesty. If the media spotlight continues to focus on such cases, then we might actually contribute to making a difference here. This country cannot hide away all of its' inadequacies any more because social media helps to bring these stories out. When the Courts start to issue punishments that bear some correlation to the crimes committed - on a consistent basis, then maybe we will some some improvements. However, no progress can ever be expected to be made whilst ever the Police / Courts accept apologies and remorse on the grounds of being intoxicated with some sort of substance and issuing 500 Bht Fines as some sort of closure. Accepting apologies with 10 year prison sentences would be a reasonable starting position for most of these particular perps, - with an attempted murder charge for the piece of trash that delivered the knock out kick to the old lady whilst she was already on the floor. This hard line approach should be led from the top for Thailand - and applicable to anyone and everyone who commits crime here - all treated equally, natives or foreigners !!

Has anyone pickedup on her comment,"a lei-selling boy who launched a campaign to raise fund to pay for the medical bills for the couple by selling his leis. But so far the boy has not been located, she added". Clearly another scam sadly!wai2.gif

Edited by wavemanwww

hardly been brushed under the carpet has it, its been on the news and media around the world, they looked for the guys, they arrested them and went to court... I'm pretty sure thats how things go with this type of thing anywhere.

what more do you think should happen?

only thing thats been brushed under the carpet is that they were the ones that escalated the whole thing.

i expect they well sell their story to the uk tabloids and it will be front page of the trusted and truthful SUN.

Off they go. Great stories will be told in their local pub. Aye!

Why is it you appear to find the savage beating of an elderly couple amusing? No matter what the circumstances this was a terrible attack and not something they would want to dwell on.

Yes it was a disgusting event, but surely they had travel medical insurance? Woman was 65 and her husband 68. They still qualified for travel medical insurance. The son is 43 and employed in Singapore. He either had the coverage from his employer's group health plan or could have purchased the coverage himself for minimal cost.

What do you think victims of crime in the UK can do? Well, they can apply for compensation from the UK government fund. A quick look at the UK tariffs of payment chart suggest that injuries like those sustained by the couple are good for 5,000-10,000 pounds.

Nothing is stopping these victims of crime from applying to the Thailand compensation fund set up under the .Victim Compensation Act of 2001. (2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act)

If any of you folks is truly are concerned, please contact

Rights and Liberties Protection Department, Ministry of Justice

Government Complex, Rajaburi Direkriddhi Bldg., 3/F, Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok.

Thai nationals can contact the call centre on 1111 ext. 77 while foreigners can call 02 141 2751

Flowers for the family doesn't cut it. As posted, the family's medical bills should be paid,plus flight remuneration and a future vacation for them to another resort destination not in Thailand!

Plus the brave falang that intervened and needs dental cosmetic surgery, his bills should be paid.

The authorities are laughable to the extreme ! These criminals were not going to be even charged by the police due to there racist approach. Religion has 0 to do with it.

As for Thai tourism thats been abused by the authorities and poor management long ago. The Chinese have become the replacements. They did not even cover there medical bills what a joke. The regime dug one extra hole in the pit of darkness.

What was the outcome in court ?

I will guess a warning and 500 baht lol.

Reform is on track

It looks like Thailand has amassed enough through tourism and now wants to discourage foreigners entering into this country - as visible in the lack of interest from the part of authorities. However there are many people naturally developed relations with Thai families and otherwise who have compulsions to continue the relations in Thailand - maybe it is hardships awaiting them.

It always surprises me when I read some think the Thai people/government will anything good as goodwill gestures. Get over it this is Thailand

Agreed. It's not the government's responsibility to pay the health care bills of every person injured in a violence or in accidents for that matter.

By the logic of the majority of posters on this thread, anytime someone gets their ass kicked the government should pick up the doctors' bills.

This is Thailand, land of low taxes and few functioning public services because it's a developing country. They can't even keep sidewalks without loose pavement stones and holes.

What was the purpose of the court visit on Monday? I was under the impression that a trial had started but obviously not.

They didn't get their pictures taken pointing at the accused is probably why

Off they go. Great stories will be told in their local pub. Aye!

Why is it you appear to find the savage beating of an elderly couple amusing? No matter what the circumstances this was a terrible attack and not something they would want to dwell on.

Sure. Vicious attack. Low. Still great story in the local pub.

hardly been brushed under the carpet has it, its been on the news and media around the world, they looked for the guys, they arrested them and went to court... I'm pretty sure thats how things go with this type of thing anywhere.

what more do you think should happen?

only thing thats been brushed under the carpet is that they were the ones that escalated the whole thing.

i expect they well sell their story to the uk tabloids and it will be front page of the trusted and truthful SUN.

Or better still, the Daily Mail , " Tell us in your own words the true events of that night and we will re write it for you "