10 Of Chiang Mai Best Restaurants

Tywais

I don't like the whole plus service plus tax routine in restaurants much either; I think it's a fundamentally dishonest way of doing business. Having said that it's not such a deal killer as to prevent me from eating twice in a restaurant that I enjoyed.

If it is mentioned it might be with small font on the bottom or even back of the menu and I don't read them like legal documents, just scan for something that looks good.

But 17% (or 17.7% - good point KKK and by the way nice steak place recommendation - NOT!) can add up on a bill, esp. with my family of 7 and they should be included in the menu price.

I do know that many hotelsarrow-10x10.png and certain kinds of restaurants do this so I'm prepared when I patronize them.

Highly doubt the service staff sees any of that 10% service charge.

I have been charged 10% service at buffets here, WHAT! It's self service, maybe should be called a bussing fee!

The ice charge use to bother me, especially if they serve warm beverages, but now I expect it.

My pet peeve with that is if I'm alone and get a water or a coke and have to buy a whole bucket of ice which not only I don't use 90% of it but it can bring the cost of my beverage up 25% or double that.

When they ask if I want ice I ask if the drink is already cold, this can sometimes puzzle the server.

Kind of like the noodle soup shop give free water with a 40 bht meal and an upscale restaurant charges 40 bht for water with 600 bht meal.

Edited by junglechef