Cheap Beer?

leonardpeltz

Leo and Chang taste metallic and give you a ringer of a hangover. Sing is just not good tasting beer.

Archa is a bit on the sweet side if you have not had it before. But the OP is about cheap beer, not the Champagne of Bottled Beer.

Cheers...It is cheap, so it fits the brief. I don't like it because I remember not liking the taste and besides, it's not easy to find in large bottles.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>Chang taste metallic and give you a ringer of a hangover.<<..How long since you last had Chang ?.The newish stuff in the Green bottle is an improvement ,although i liked the previous Chang Export also .Nobody has mentioned Federbrau .Not cheap at B71 a large bottle in 7/11 ,but cheap for a German style larger .Brewed in Thailand and they claim to brew in accordance with the German purity law of 1516.I really like it .

According to wiki, Asia Pacific Breweries is the importer of Guinness in Thailand, and you are correct that it is the Irish version. Ironic the Jase has such a disdain for TAPB. BTW, Tiger is exported to more countries than any other Asian beer. TAPB is the second largest brewer of Heineken in Asia, likely behind the one in Hainan, as Heineken sales are increasing by double digit percentages every year in China.

I have no issue with TAPB or Heineken (they pay some of my wages), just the crap they produce, excluding Guinness.

Cheapest beer prices?

any of the shops on NonPrakang Soi 1

5am openings

Nice folk.

better option?

brew your own - eventually you will master the art and never write about this matter on TV again

riskier but truly worth it option?

somehow transport a large amount of "Klang" (silver coloured can - 7%) from Cambodia - awesome brew

"brew your own"? This raises the obvious question, where do you get home brewing supplies in Thailand?

If you can find them, you will then have to determine how you will keep the wort at a temperature that beer yeast like during fermentation--if fermentation temperatures rise much above 20C for ales (lower for lagers) the beer goes off.

Home brewing is great fun for a beer lover, but it's not a great way to save money.

1. Australia, Singapore or Bangkok

2. Buy an external fridge temperature controller

This attitude of all Thai beer is rubbish, reminds me of the people, who claim that all street food is rubbish.....if some of that street food was served to you at many of the sit-down restaurants in CM at simply triple the price; many would come on TV and tout the great restaurant.

Sorry, but my taste buds think most mass produced lager is rubbish and that's what's generally produced here.

Black Tiger was not too bad (long since gone) and, of course, Dark Beer Laos is almost a local brew now. My Beer Friend makes some very good craft beers in Chiang Mai, but they're under the radar.

What a great thread. I managed to save 20 baht on a box of beer after riding my scooter across town to buy it. I bought a bowl of rice with my savings which helped to cushion the blow of drinking 12 bottles of beer after I got back to my room. Thanks Thai visa!

pretty rational statements by Bruce for 3am....yes, homebrewing often ends up costing you a lot per bottle, not even counting your time, and I'm sure no one cares about the calorie content here, as we all get so much exercise sprinting across Moon Mueang twice per day. But I recall my brother looking at my two six packs of Sierra Nevada Stout one time and saying: "if you drink 12 of those a day; you will be as big as a house."

This attitude of all Thai beer is rubbish, reminds me of the people, who claim that all street food is rubbish.....if some of that street food was served to you at many of the sit-down restaurants in CM at simply triple the price; many would come on TV and tout the great restaurant.

The middle of the road is often the best way in Thailand..I think Tiger and Singha are the middle road. No need to spend 6000 per night on a hotel, but no need to spend 200, either....the thread is "cheap beer;" I really don't see the relevance of 200 thb Guiness that has been shaken like a welfare baby during its long journey around the world.

I do not se who say Thai beer its rubbish? GI do not see Thai beer. Its some alcohol drink. But not beer. If some like drink it it UP TO HIM. If you get some flavour + alcohol + sprankling it's not mean its be champagne;)

Skinny cow is not gazelle.

But some buy rubber women.

So why not alcrohol drink look like beer?

Ps

I drink beer for injoy taste. Not for get drunk.

For get drunk can find more cheapest way.

And some i even post in this is topic

;)

Edited by ardokano

Cheapest beer prices?

any of the shops on NonPrakang Soi 1

5am openings

Nice folk.

better option?

brew your own - eventually you will master the art and never write about this matter on TV again

riskier but truly worth it option?

somehow transport a large amount of "Klang" (silver coloured can - 7%) from Cambodia - awesome brew

"brew your own"? This raises the obvious question, where do you get home brewing supplies in Thailand?

If you can find them, you will then have to determine how you will keep the wort at a temperature that beer yeast like during fermentation--if fermentation temperatures rise much above 20C for ales (lower for lagers) the beer goes off.

Home brewing is great fun for a beer lover, but it's not a great way to save money.

1. Australia, Singapore or Bangkok

2. Buy an external fridge temperature controller

1. Factor in the cost of a trip to Bangkok or beyond, along with the cost of equipment and ingredients.

2. If you are talking about one of these http://store.nexternal.com/homebrew/temperature-controller-p1373.aspx , you also have to include the cost of a refrigerator dedicated to brewing.

Still doesn't seem like a cheap beer option.

​Actually the draught Guinness here (at least in the Red Lion Pub ) is pretty good .Its true though that the best Guinness in the World is the one you get in pubs in Ireland .

I must assume you've not had Guinness in Nigeria.

No , but i know 2 facts about Guinness and Nigeria ,and you can correct me if i got it wrong .They have the largest Guinness brewery in the World .Their Guinness is a super strong 8% .Guinness in Europe is 4.5 % .I have had extra strong Guinness in Burma ,and it tasted too sweet . (thats how you make beer and stout stronger ,you use more sugar i have been told .)

Has anyone tried the Philippine Red Horse beer that the sell in Tesco Lotus stores? It's not a bad drop and made by the San Miguel people. Travels better than San Miguel IMO.

Oh and it's only 49 baht for large bottle

Edited by CMKiwi

Has anyone tried the Philippine Red Horse beer that the sell in Tesco Lotus stores? It's not a bad drop and made by the San Miguel people. Travels better than San Miguel IMO.

I have seen it in Tesco/Lotus .I will give it a try .

It is made in Thailand so not far to travel, also at 6 percent alc. it is up there with cheers extra. ok taste. used to see it at Lotus express and family mart but nomo.

Red Horse is the preferred beer for ladyboys in Philippines, almost always served warm. Tried it once and thought it was Fikkin rank.

Go to any village and ask for Sangsomesowbaht, That is a shot in a glass of water for 20 baht, They crack up hearing a fallang say it. Of course if you are really desperate a touch of yeast in carton of juice will do the trick, Cheaper than after shave too.

​Actually the draught Guinness here (at least in the Red Lion Pub ) is pretty good .Its true though that the best Guinness in the World is the one you get in pubs in Ireland .

I must assume you've not had Guinness in Nigeria.

I used to live in Nigeria. Anything which takes away the pain of living in Nigeria tastes great. You'd be absolutely thrilled by the taste of aftershave if you were there long enough and that was the only alcohol you could find.

"Two large, award winning, Tigers from tops for 110 thb per day...or two "Fagenwietzens" from a well known male meet-up place on Nimman at 360 THB? That's a difference of 7500 THB per month....that's more than most pay in rent.....2 beers a day? An alcoholic...better than being diabetic or just a plain axhole."

I would rather drink Buffalo pee than German wheat beer!

Red Horse is awful beer,it's just strong and that's probably the only reason it's drunk at all in the Philippines Gold Eagle is much,much better over there!And Tiger is ok beer only for South-East Asian beer but far too dry for me,the king of SEA beer must be indisputably Beer Lao in large bottles unavailable in Thailand as Thai beer sales would fall off the edge of a cliff! whistling.gif