Uber to Ayutthaya

Going to Ayutthaya and thinking of using Uber as the rate even at 1.2x fare is around 5 Baht a kilometer. So the fare should come out to around 500 Baht give or take with tolls and tipping etc. I looked online and many taxi services are offering fares of around 1,500 and up. Is it usual for somebody to take a ride from Uber for trips of this length? If the fare is really that low I can't imagine going to take a mini van to Ayutthaya as for two people plus taxi there and tuk tuk from where ever they drop people off in Ayutthaya would be more than using Uber. Am I missing something?

Going form where to where exactly.

If you are talking about leaving from Bangkok think again about paying 500 baht,not a chance.

Leaving Makkasan and going to Ayutthaya. I thought it seemed a bit optimistic. I just set the pick up point and went through as far as confirm the fare at 1.2 times. I didn't go further because I didn't want an uber to come right now. I was just checking for tomorrow. So I guess I am going to have to go on the street and try and hustle something up. What do people think a normal taxi can be had for without using the internet?

Edited by anotheruser

Heard the train takes a long time and can be unreliable. Thinking of minivan but it also sounds like a hassle going to Victory monument and waiting and then getting dumped off some place in Ayutthaya to be preyed upon by tuk tuks. I guess I will suck it up and just pay the taxi but it seems like a bit for a ride that is just over an hour supposedly.

Makes me wonder what would Thainess do?

Train takes 1.5 - 2 hours. Costs something silly like 20 baht. From Makkasan you could take the MRT up to Bang Sue and shave a chunk off the time, too - it takes longer to rattle its way through the Bangkok suburbs than it does to make its way up to Ayutthaya.

If you are talking about leaving from Bangkok think again about paying 500 baht,not a chance.

Leaving Makkasan and going to Ayutthaya. I thought it seemed a bit optimistic. I just set the pick up point and went through as far as confirm the fare at 1.2 times. I didn't go further because I didn't want an uber to come right now. I was just checking for tomorrow. So I guess I am going to have to go on the street and try and hustle something up. What do people think a normal taxi can be had for without using the internet?

I could give you the number of a very good taxi driver friend.

To give you an idea of his prices I always paid 4000 baht from Suvarnabhumi airport to Lom Sak Phetchabun 390 km.

But I couldn't guarantee he can do it at short notice but it's worth a call he's located in the Don Mueang area.

To give you an idea of his prices I always paid 4000 baht from Suvarnabhumi airport to Lom Sak Phetchabun 390 km.

But I couldn't guarantee he can do it at short notice but it's worth a call he's located in the Don Mueang area.

Sure I will take the number. I am willing to give him the market rate and don't really mind. I just saw a price that seemed like it was too good to be true and turned out it was. I can speak some Thai does he speak any English?

Sure I will take the number. I am willing to give him the market rate and don't really mind. I just saw a price that seemed like it was too good to be true and turned out it was. I can speak some Thai does he speak any English?

He speaks very good English.

PM Sent.

Train takes 1.5 - 2 hours. Costs something silly like 20 baht. From Makkasan you could take the MRT up to Bang Sue and shave a chunk off the time, too - it takes longer to rattle its way through the Bangkok suburbs than it does to make its way up to Ayutthaya.

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at saving money if it was super easy. My friend and I will only have a limited amount of time so I guess I will man up and pay for the door to door service. Thanks to you too stoney chances are if the guy you know works out he can count on a return fair as well.

I live in Ayutthaya (well, right between Ayutthaya/Sena) and have used a taxi several times, though I now usually take the train. I've never paid more than 1200 baht from Bangkok to my doorstep. Usually 1000 baht (plus tolls). Once for 800 baht, but I gave the guy a 200 baht tip. Discuss fare beforehand. None of my drivers used the meter.

I live in Ayutthaya (well, right between Ayutthaya/Sena) and have used a taxi several times, though I now usually take the train. I've never paid more than 1200 baht from Bangkok to my doorstep. Usually 1000 baht (plus tolls). Once for 800 baht, but I gave the guy a 200 baht tip. Discuss fare beforehand. None of my drivers used the meter.

1,200 baht is the official rate from Bangkok to Ayutthaya province. (Tolls extra.) It's printed on the rate card in the back of every taxi. Meters are only used for journeys within Bangkok.

I tried Uber this morning and the car came in 15 minutes and was nice enough. Once we loaded our luggage into the car the driver said he can't take us to Ayutthaya as it is too far. I am not sure if they get info as to where they are going on Uber but with out me saying anything he knew we were going to Ayutthaya. So I jumped out of the car and went to Petchaburi (directly outside the entrance to my condo) road and expected to go through a few taxis and haggle. I asked the first taxi the price and he said it would be 1,000 Baht. I took his offer without trying to negotiate a better price as it seemed fair. I think the tolls came out to be 100 Baht.

So it seems that door to door service from Bangkok to Ayutthaya is easily had for this price. The website offerings of 1,700 or 1,800 are not worth the time.

My Thai is not that good and I assume anybody with half a brain can negotiate this.

I am deleting Uber and thought that part of their service was not to have to face being refused especially after booking the car and waiting.

Took the taxis number and he will have more business from me for sure. He knows where I am now and knows where my house is.

I tried Uber this morning and the car came in 15 minutes and was nice enough. Once we loaded our luggage into the car the driver said he can't take us to Ayutthaya as it is too far. I am not sure if they get info as to where they are going on Uber but with out me saying anything he knew we were going to Ayutthaya. So I jumped out of the car and went to Petchaburi (directly outside the entrance to my condo) road and expected to go through a few taxis and haggle. I asked the first taxi the price and he said it would be 1,000 Baht. I took his offer without trying to negotiate a better price as it seemed fair. I think the tolls came out to be 100 Baht.

So it seems that door to door service from Bangkok to Ayutthaya is easily had for this price. The website offerings of 1,700 or 1,800 are not worth the time.

My Thai is not that good and I assume anybody with half a brain can negotiate this.

I am deleting Uber and thought that part of their service was not to have to face being refused especially after booking the car and waiting.

Took the taxis number and he will have more business from me for sure. He knows where I am now and knows where my house is.

There you go! Have fun in Ayutthaya, it's a great place.

Thanks it has been great so far. All I can say at this point for people thinking of coming up here is that it is hotter than hell. Luckily the hotel has a pool and great view of the ruins. I am just chilling and will probably come back to explore more when it is cooler. Will give a short trip report later. Does anybody know how to attach photos? I could be missing something but I have tried every button when I reply to threads and haven't had success. Thanks

Thanks it has been great so far. All I can say at this point for people thinking of coming up here is that it is hotter than hell. Luckily the hotel has a pool and great view of the ruins. I am just chilling and will probably come back to explore more when it is cooler. Will give a short trip report later. Does anybody know how to attach photos? I could be missing something but I have tried every button when I reply to threads and haven't had success. Thanks

Start new topic --> below left of text box "Attach files" --> Browse. Click the pic you want then "open."

The file name will show. Click "Attach this file"

Repeat for each pic you want.

Then click "add to post." The file name will appear in the text box. You can add text above or below it if desired.

Remember you can use the preview button to check everything is ok before publishing.

This is all on a pc, can't help you with phone/android.

Test photo: post-25117-0-79920600-1462709867_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Okay a small update on Uber. Received an email today from Uber that says I am them 45 Baht for cancellation. Now as I explained before the driver refused to take me to Ayutthaya and knew the destination with out me explaining it. So he knew from the app somehow where I was going. After loading the bags into the car he goes to drive out and then says he is not willing to go to Ayutthaya. So after wasting 20 minutes of my time waiting, being refused the ride and having to find another cab I am being held accountable for a cancellation which was not voluntary?

I went into the app as the email charging me is a no response mail. I found the driver cancelled fare complaint box and had the charges reversed. So it is fine but what a bunch of aggravation and nonsense it was dealing with them. I am used to being refused fares by random taxis in Bangkok, I find it insulting to be refused a fare by Uber and then informed I owe them money, as if it was my fault.

Don't send somebody to my door to make a fiasco out of things. I thought Uber was a company you use to avoid this?

End of rant.

• 3 months later...
On 5 May 2016 at 8:29 PM, anotheruser said:

Hi I'm planning to travel alone to Ayutthaya  from Bangkok.  After reading a bunch of your conversations above, you said that waving to get a random cab is cheaper than uber? Around 1000 baht? Is ayutthaya safe for a girl to travel alone to?  Also, I'm planning to go to the airport from there, what would be the best option to take during nighttime as my flight is at 2am?  

thanks! 

Edited by Dreamchaser5