Hanoi

oxo1947

I did do a search but the last info was from a few years ago----& things can change fast in Asia.

Live in Thailand---taking the wife to Hanoi for about a week. Want to do a few tours but at 70 although active...relaxing taking in the different culture also good. I have done the south Vietnam (but not for some time & was single---so different priorities then)

1/ Is it to long just in Hanoi ?----should I think of splitting up with another location

2/ Any where special that I shouldn't miss.....Been told that the water puppets are a must.

3/ Been told the older part of Hanoi city is the better place to be------is that correct.

4/ Any recommendations on Hotels-----we like smaller ones

5/ Is it still better to carry USA $$

Thanks...............................

Just been Vietnam to get away from Sonkran we had 2 weeks,3 to 4 days was enough in Hanoi,we took a trip to Halong Bay

http://halongfantaseacruise.com/itineraries-rates

been twice now with this company very nice both times,and a choice of itineraries.

You will have no trouble changing US $ or Thai Baht or £ sterling to VN Dong,you get a better rate at the Bank.I found it better to pay in V Dong.If you hold a uk spanish french german or italian passport you can go for 15 days Visa free,I think untill the end of June or July this year,asian passport holders get 30days on arrival.

1. Yes old city (sometimes called ancient city by locals) is the best area to stay and to explore, lots of wonderful old architecture etc.

2. Book better (budget) hotels in that area. Many hotels in Hanoi, on agoda etc., listings are far from any western food. Old city seems to be better for food, can even find a few NY deli type cafes' with good food, fresh real bread, great local coffee etc. Note: Tourist (and 5 star) hotels tend to be a bit more expensive in Vietnam compared to Thailand, also tour costs.

3. One or two days tour to Halong Bay is a must, some listings rate it amongst the best / most beautiful bay areas in the world, good hotels (every price), good friendly service etc. Most hotels can help with tour arrangements to get to Halong Bay.

- By bus about 4 hours.

- Also many day and overnight cruises, basic to full luxury.

Halong Bay definitely worth considering.

4. Many places in Vietnam do accept US dollars but it's not compulsory they have to accept dollars.

Change to Dong is easy, many hotels have a service for the hotel staff to take your dollar notes, disappear for 20 minutes, then be back to the hotel with Dong at a pretty good rate.

Good luck.

Concur with "Old Quarter" accommodations, "Water Puppet" show and especially "Ha Long Bay" I did the one day Hanoi-Ha Long-Hanoi tour but it was to much bus traveling for one day and took away from the experience. Some people I've talked to loved the overnight boat experience there and some hated it...very much depends on the tour operator so do some research before going.

I really liked "The Paramount Hotel", in a small alley off a small alley..very quiet with a very helpful staff, breakfast served daily. Check both Agoda.com & Booking.com for rates. Nicely furnished rooms with comfortable beds and very high standards of cleanliness. If you do chose to stay there, make sure you have their phone number handy for your driver to call. They will send a person out to wait for you. They will arrange airport pick-up for a few dollars more than the normal taxi fare...about $20.

Great city to just walk around..every corner seems to have something interesting going on. Crossing streets is an adventure with motorbikes swarming everywhere.

I've been on the Halong Bay 3 day/2 night cruise twice in the last 4 months. Of the two companies I used, Auco was the better. The 3.5 hr coach journey is tedious (especially as the road runs alongside a railway! Stayed at the Elegance on Lo-su about 200 metres from the lake/puppet show (which was OK.) Their sister hotel - Hanoi La Siesta Trendy Hotel is set in the Old Quarter & very new. The service is incredible - they almost read your mind to anticipate your wishes.

I went to Hanoi for 12 days to avoid songkran. I visited one museum, garden or art gallery everyday and went drinking and eating at night in the old quarter. I went on a two night trip to halon bay - I recommend 3 nights. I also did a day trip to tam coc which I suggest you do first. I also suggest a food on foot tour of Hanoi old town restaurants. Taxis use metres, service is good and people friendly. I will be returning to go trekking in Sapan. I stayed in the Nova Hotel in the Old Town.

Hanoi is great. My wife and I went in early 2015. We stayed at 'Camel City' (where do they find these names?) hotel in the old quarter. Basic, but comfortable, cheap, friendly English speaking staff and right in the middle of the old part of the city. We went to see the water puppets, me somewhat reluctantly, thinking I'd be bored stupid. How wrong can you be! It was absolutely brilliant! I was captivated by the whole show. Definitely a must-see.

And if you like beer, get out in the old quarter in the evening and find a Bia Hoi (fresh beer) seller. There are plenty around. The beer is just that - fresh, and (very) cheap. I used to go to one that appeared on a street corner in the evening, a few plastic stools and tables, and the beer from a tap in the barrel. Yum! Also, if you like coffee, Vietnamese coffee is fantastic. Thick, black and strong. They also sell 'Weasel' coffee - the most expensive coffee in the world, which is also great, but doesn't, to my mind, justify the exorbitant price tag.

Also check out the war museum. Lots of interesting stuff from the Vietnamese perspective, which I found quite fascinating, having only heard the American side of things. (I'm a Brit, by the way, but was very aware of the Vietnam war in the 60s).

The one thing that struck me was how pleasant and friendly everyone was. Which I found quite surprising, given their recent history.

Traffic is amazing. I was mesmerised by the way the total chaos on the roads just seemed to flow in a weirdly organic fashion.

Hanoi is somewhere I would definitely go again.

• 2 months later...

HI Guys

can you help me-----has anyone been to Vietnam on a British passport under the exempt policy ??

Could you contact me.

They have extended the exempt policy for British passports only until 2017---I got this from the Vietnam office, however the man's accent was so bad and the background noise so much I was trying ask questions like is there anything else I need etc........ doing this on Skype also which wasn't great so really no further -----do you just fly in and that's it if you have a Brit passport.

I know there is an office in BKK however they will just not answer there phone....they have 4 numbers and rang all of them so many times this morning.

Any help.......would be really good................thanks

Guys (my) Panic over----they answered their phone at last---- no visa, no paper work, no photo's-- nothing needed if you have a British Passport and are staying for under 15 days----this will be in affect until 2017....but no one is sure of the month.

Oh must have ticket for leaving Vietnam

Guys (my) Panic over----they answered their phone at last---- no visa, no paper work, no photo's-- nothing needed if you have a British Passport and are staying for under 15 days----this will be in affect until 2017....but no one is sure of the month.

I'm sure? until 30.06.2017.

We always stay at the Hotel Tirant.. absolutely amazing.. they have a roof top pool (small) but the restaurant on the roof has a 360 degree view of the city. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. They have staff in the lobby that can organize all your itineraries.

Kurt

The missus will need a round trip ticket as well or she won't be allowed to board.

Kurt

I highly recommend Hanoi and it's great city to get around.

For a week ...I would recommend :

- Halong Bay Overnight option

- Watch the Water Puppet Show ...it's great cultural experience even if you don't understand what they are saying

- Head to inroads to Tam Coc...which is like Halong Bay inland and some like ti better

- Head up to Mountain areas of Sapa using the overnight sleeper trains...the trains are very clean, price reasonable and at the Sapa region is stunning to visit.

- Stay in the Old City / Quarters ....the Essence Hotel chain are a amazing local brand and they really bring value to the stay

- Hoan Kiem Lake is very very nice at night and very local /...lots of local walking around....the prices at the cafes have gone up as there are more tourists but still a great place to loop around at night for a walk / stroll.

- The fancy mall next to the Lake has a Singapore restaurant...if you love your chilli crabs...go there !

USD / Vietnamese Dong all accepted there...at the street markets bargain and have some fun

I stayed in the Old City. During the day I explored other parts of the town by walking each day to Art Galleries, parks or Museums - there are about 20 including the Ho Chi Min Museums. One or two require a rickshaw or taxi - your hotel can arrange a cheap/honest one. The Museum of Women is great as is the Army Museum and The Fine Art Gallery and the also The Museum of Literature. The museum of Anthropology need a taxi. The Nova Hotel has a good list of all the galleries and museums etc but I did not take their day tour I went by my self about one or two a day. would recommend a couple of nights wandering the old city - Bia Hoi Corner at night and the weekend night market. But firstly I would book a 'food on foot tour' - checking out about 10 restaurants for 25 dollars to acquaint yourself with local foods and restaurants. An easy day out is to Hoa Lu and Tam Coc featuring caves, rice paddies and rivers and splendid mountains and a temple area on route en route. Then after a another day in Hanoi I would go to Halong Bay and do three nights at sea and 4 days. Book through a good tour company. If you cannot stay three nights then definitely stay two night at sea. You wont regret it.

The video at the link below shows the busy Hanoi traffic and includes list of all the major cultural attractions. PM me if you want.

Archived