Need New Computer - Recommendations (and story)

ykatz0

To make a long story short, the last computer I bought was to get my music and personal studies away from my business computer and possibly serve as a backup in an emergency. That computer was a small Asus i7 and is completely useless, I believe it is a lemon. It is very hot and very very slow. I tried to complain after 4-5 days of purchasing it but the store lead would not hear it, though it was not the first computer I purchased at Banana IT. My work horse, which I purchased at Sinthanee a few years before that is just fine, however, it will break soon, I can feel it. And now we are at a monumental phase in computing (especially for notebooks) where everything I complained about 2 years ago has been solved:

1. Need at least 16GB Ram

2. Why no DDR4 yet?

3. Must be able to swap hard drive for standard size SSD drive.

4. Must be light enough (anything below 4.3Kg seems to work)

5. Screen must be 15" or better and good resolution.

All these have been answered today (but not last year at this time)!

Now there are Lenovo and Asus machines that fit that bill. But only Banana IT in Chiang Rai has stock and I don't want to buy it from them.

I went to Sinthanee and the model I want (Asus ROG GL552VW-DM010D) is a tick about the standard stock model. Standard stock has 4gb

ram and GeForce 950 as opposed to 8gb and GeForce 960, I don't do any gaming but I cannot help to think when I view the other very slight

spec changes between the two models (The lower model is Asus ROG GL552VX-DM151D) that it points to recent improvements in the line, I don't

want to be stuck with something I cannot live with for 4-5 years.

On the other hand I was thinking that perhaps the GeForce 950 would pull a bit less power than the GeForce 960, though the reality could be

opposite and mostly wishful thinking.

If anyone has any experience with either of these models or comparable I would be most appreciative to hear anything you have to say. This is

a good thread to wail and moan and go on and on about unrelated stuff or just flame the OP 'cause you feel like it (it is quite hot today, so go for

it!).

Try Technocom, they have a shop in Central but I usually go to the main store and service department behind the market, they have off road parking as well.

I bought a decent HP desktop there that has been relatively problem free.

Yes, I have been in discussions with Technocom, however, they don't seem to be able to understand when the machine will arrive if I order it and what model/spec it will be. They said a certain model may arrive in the next few days, they don't know the rahat (id) but the specs are close to what I am asking. So I told him please call me when it comes in so I can see for myself...so I was thinking I should ask the J.I.B. guys, I have always done well when buying (mostly parts) from them.

There's a place behind the main hospital, the street with the animal/pet hospital.

I usually only buy gadgets and cables there but they have a service department as well.

I'll need to look the name and address up if you don't know it.

Edit: Sangkhongluang Road.

There's a place behind the main hospital, the street with the animal/pet hospital.

I usually only buy gadgets and cables there but they have a service department as well.

I'll need to look the name and address up if you don't know it.

Edit: Sangkhongluang Road.

This is KVC Computer, they are good for service and knick knack items (cables, headsets, etc...) but not for leading edge systems. I spoke with them yesterday just to make sure, I would gladly buy the computer from a place that does the service right there, just like back home!

For warranty claims, always go to the manufacturers warranty center, even if its in CM, and even if it is a week old. Power fluctuations can wreak havok on systems here, let alone grounding issues. Heatwaves cause a lot of problems, too. I've seen refurbished desktops with 8 gb of ram for 39 usd on newegg....might be a good place to go to get a feel for how much you need to pay here (30% more seems typical)...and HP seems very expensive here.

Keep your lemon, and use a live linux distro on a usb thumb drive (like Tahr Puppy). It will load very quick and you can still use it for the internet.

as for a new one...

Just wondered.

I do not play games, so the more laptops with faster gaming capabilities (higher quality graphic cards)...are not mandatory.

As far as storage, I would much rather spend money on an external hard drive (can use with all my computers), than to have huge storage on an internal hard drive (as the laptop may, very soon, be damaged or grow obsolete. External drives are very small now.

Operating systems can be backed up on external drives and reloaded.... Just partition your external drive and make it bootable. With all your data on another partition of that external, you can live free and easy, when something goes wrong.

Don't worry about the screen of the laptop so much...you can use the HDMI and connect it to a large lcd/plasma TV.

Botttom line....

Get the latest CPU with an above average speed

Read the reviews...and make sure it does not overheat easily

Make sure their are no issues with the hinges from closing and opening. (I have a broken one on my hp)

Don't get the most expensive (in 3 to 5 years you will be replacing it)

4 gigabyte ram (if you multi task or open many tabs in your web browser)

If you spend more that 15,000 and are not gaming, you overspent. Plenty good ones out there. Lenovo might have some models for you.

Sometimes it's the software installed, and services running (not to mention bloatware, adware, malware and viruses) that slow you up. Also defragmentation is often overlooked.

Never get those old atom processors 1.6 or worse............ you should have cpu speeds over 2.4 mhz. and quadcore/or the latest.

It's usually whats under the hood that makes your laptop work faster. cpu speed and high ram. Storage and grapics (unless your gaming) are optional.

too many models have all that. I just google top ten for productivity/speed (at your price range)

if all else is the same...look for the one that cools off the best, after you make sure you got the speed and ram you want.

Yeah,

I plan to get that machine serviced, have already used Linux on an SSD in the CD bay, it works, however, the machine has a heat

problem that needs to be solved, afraid it might fry itself if I use it for any length of time (new machine, hehe). I will send both that

and my old workhorse to the service center as soon as I replace my workhorse.

My issue with your statement about 15,000, and I hope you refute my new machine mentality, is that I really need at least 16GB

RAM, and would like fast RAM (DDR4). I am having issues on my workhorse and from what I can tell it is not due to the CPU speed

which is an i5 but due to either RAM speed or the bus itself, so that is why I am ending up with one of those gamey time machines,

definitely not for the graphics card though I find it quite impressive they even run on a notebook computer, these graphics cards

seem so powerful, it brings back visions of those huge video graphics adapters with the banks of memory that ran oh so hot back

in the day (a few months ago...or so it seems).

I am doing some development and sometimes run multiple virtual machines, that is the reason I need the RAM, otherwise I could

probably get away with one of those tiny computers with a screen and keyboard attached. At that point an Atom processor would

be fine for what I do (browse, email, spreadsheet, ssh to remove servers), but there are these (Quicken, Virtual Machines) that

force me to be a bit more modern (darn Intuit!).

At any rate I really really appreciated reading your insights, one of these days!

Keep your lemon, and use a live linux distro on a usb thumb drive (like Tahr Puppy). It will load very quick and you can still use it for the internet.

as for a new one...

Just wondered.

I do not play games, so the more laptops with faster gaming capabilities (higher quality graphic cards)...are not mandatory.

As far as storage, I would much rather spend money on an external hard drive (can use with all my computers), than to have huge storage on an internal hard drive (as the laptop may, very soon, be damaged or grow obsolete. External drives are very small now.

Operating systems can be backed up on external drives and reloaded.... Just partition your external drive and make it bootable. With all your data on another partition of that external, you can live free and easy, when something goes wrong.

Don't worry about the screen of the laptop so much...you can use the HDMI and connect it to a large lcd/plasma TV.

Botttom line....

Get the latest CPU with an above average speed

Read the reviews...and make sure it does not overheat easily

Make sure their are no issues with the hinges from closing and opening. (I have a broken one on my hp)

Don't get the most expensive (in 3 to 5 years you will be replacing it)

4 gigabyte ram (if you multi task or open many tabs in your web browser)

If you spend more that 15,000 and are not gaming, you overspent. Plenty good ones out there. Lenovo might have some models for you.

Sometimes it's the software installed, and services running (not to mention bloatware, adware, malware and viruses) that slow you up. Also defragmentation is often overlooked.

Never get those old atom processors 1.6 or worse............ you should have cpu speeds over 2.4 mhz. and quadcore/or the latest.

It's usually whats under the hood that makes your laptop work faster. cpu speed and high ram. Storage and grapics (unless your gaming) are optional.

too many models have all that. I just google top ten for productivity/speed (at your price range)

if all else is the same...look for the one that cools off the best, after you make sure you got the speed and ram you want.

Ideally you want an ultrabook - something along the lines of the new Dell XPS 15. They're very slimline and powerful, but quite pricey.

These Zenbooks are supposed to have very nice build quality, but you do pay for it.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/19842/2/NOTEBOOK-ASUS-ZENBOOK-UX303UB-R4051T-Smoky-Brown

This hp is another ultrabook, and comes with a 256Gig SSD too:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/19117/2/NOTEBOOK-HP-ENVY-13-D029TU

I'm really struggling to find any laptop with more than 8 gigs of RAM, but it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to add a couple of 8 gig sticks if you find that 8 just isn't cutting it.

I realise that these are both 13 inch laptops - if they're too small, I'd look into an XPS 15 from Dell. I can't find any on JIB and the like, but maybe you can order it direct from Dell?

http://www.dell.com/th/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd

According to that site, there are a couple of authorized resellers here in Chiang Rai which should be able to get one for you.

Boonthapanich
2420 M.1 T.Muangpan, A.Pan, Chiangrai 57120
Tel: 053-722-779

Chiangrai Technocom Ltd.,Part.

25 Ruangnakorn Road, T.Viang, A.Muang, Chiangrai 57000
Tel: 053-745-121

Thaweeyont Marketing Co., Ltd.

608/3 Pahonyotin Road T.Viang A.Muang, Chiangrai 57000
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 053-711-040

It's hard to keep laptops cool this time of the year, mine lives next to the TV to run video via an HDMI cable and I have it on one of those stands with a built in fan.

It also runs about 24/7 seeding my book downloads and at about 4 years old is starting to feel it's age.

The cost of the Dell XPS 15's spec for spec seems to be around 40-50% higher than similar specs on Asus, does anyone feel they are worth it?

The 2 Asus's I have gone through have been real solid, I had a Dell before, years ago, a clunker, from which I felt liberated once off it, but I doubt

the XPS 15's are anything like that!

My first laptop was an Asus, a great piece of kit but the battery died and it took me a year to get a new one, some sort of factory problem.

Let us know how you go anyway, I'll be interested to hear what you get and where.

I ordered this from InvadeIT. No one could tell me when it would be delivered locally. I have ordered from InvadeIT before I know it will just be a matter of them submitting the order to Asus Bangkok and having it shipped, they don't waste time, the site says 2-3 days, I will give an update as to the delivery time and whether it solves my immediate speed issues (or not). It costs about 300 baht more from InvadeIT plus shipping so we'll see.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/asus/gl552vw-dm010d-intel-core-i7-6700hq-8gb-ddr4-1tb-15-6inch-fhd-geforce-gtx960m-no-os-p025715/

I ordered this from InvadeIT. No one could tell me when it would be delivered locally. I have ordered from InvadeIT before I know it will just be a matter of them submitting the order to Asus Bangkok and having it shipped, they don't waste time, the site says 2-3 days, I will give an update as to the delivery time and whether it solves my immediate speed issues (or not). It costs about 300 baht more from InvadeIT plus shipping so we'll see.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/asus/gl552vw-dm010d-intel-core-i7-6700hq-8gb-ddr4-1tb-15-6inch-fhd-geforce-gtx960m-no-os-p025715/

I have a Dell with the exact same specifications, and it's a nice quick computer. Stick an SSD in there, and I doubt you'll be disappointed. I'm not sure if there'll be space to keep the HDD and add the SSD, or if you'll have to choose one or the other (the SSD!) but I know that there is space for two in my Dell which looks to be a very similar form factor.

I have a Dell with the exact same specifications, and it's a nice quick computer. Stick an SSD in there, and I doubt you'll be disappointed. I'm not sure if there'll be space to keep the HDD and add the SSD, or if you'll have to choose one or the other (the SSD!) but I know that there is space for two in my Dell which looks to be a very similar form factor.

Man I didn't even think of that, if I could add my 512GB SSD rather than swap out the 1TB that would be ideal, thanks!

If anyone is looking at the Asus ROG GL552VW be careful. There is one with a plastic case and one with a metal case. I saw a review that says the plastic case is very flimsy and he would be afraid it would be damaged soon over not too much time. It seems like in Thailand there are two major models, the first (which I ordered and just upgraded before they sent it to Asus) which is plastic and the other which is metal:

Asus GL552VW-DM010D Intel Core i7-6700HQ/8GB DDR4/1TB/15.6" FHD/GeForce GTX960M/No OS Asus GL552VW-CN174D Intel Core i7-6700HQ/8GB DDR4/128GB SSD+1TB/15.6" FHD/GeForce GTX960M/No OS

Price difference under 3000 baht.

16 gig ram is good if you know what to do with it all.

4 is enough for everything I do. I could see 8 gig possibilities for a virtual machine...or assigning lots of virtual drives, and loading them up with data (for quick access).

I do use vsti instruments and sound effects (vst) with a DAW (Reaper).

Lots of Ram would sure be helpful for me....as I could load more Tracks...but I usually just need 3 or 4 Tracks. (I play along on my guitar).

Honestly...I just surf the web and do videos 90 percent of the time...and 15 thousand baht does it for me.

4 is enough for everything I do. I could see 8 gig possibilities for a virtual machine...or assigning lots of virtual drives, and loading them up with data (for quick access).

I do use vsti instruments and sound effects (vst) with a DAW (Reaper).

Lots of Ram would sure be helpful for me....as I could load more Tracks...but I usually just need 3 or 4 Tracks. (I play along on my guitar).

I love Reaper.fm, just sayin' ... I use all of 8GB RAM now and will use at least 12 of the 16, if I didn't use VMs I wouldn't need more than 4gb either.

It's hard to keep laptops cool this time of the year, mine lives next to the TV to run video via an HDMI cable and I have it on one of those stands with a built in fan.

It also runs about 24/7 seeding my book downloads and at about 4 years old is starting to feel it's age.

I am doing the same. Two large tv screens ..hdmi and vga. My laptop is under the aircon....in the bedroom. I want to move everything into the main room, when it starts to cool down.

My thoughts are just to get an old fashioned tower desktop....so it cools easier, cleans easier, and can be upgraded easier.

No more use for a laptop, as i have phones and ipads for travel.

Most will never use more than 4gb now unless gaming and 8gb plenty.

Like the previous poster (was it op?) I also run multiple virtual machines, dual screens and 32gb ram, currently in 60% swap after a few weeks, can use it if you really do!

But if you can use 16gb in ram chances are you do know your computers so can sift through the advice and know what's actually good and what's not, why ask!?

Agree that 15k plenty for normal use, including HD screen. Built plenty like that last few years for staff, all very fast with SSD.

But avoid my latest mistake, case with USB3 front ports while mobo has USB2 expansion pins!

Well I received the Asus ROG gl552vw-dm010d yesterday. Pulled out my main SSD drive from my workhorse, replaced the 1TB drive in the new machine, booted Windows 10 and got the Activate Windows on the right. Went through activation and it would not accept the Product Key from the Boxed set I thought I was so smart buying, Windows 8.1 Pro Boxed Set, at Banana IT a year or so ago. So then ended up going to a chat session with a Windows person who could not understand English so ended up not letting them log into my computer to do the remote license fix and ended up 2 levels up with another Windows support person who spoke English well enough for me to trust so I let her in, she removed my existing license, generated a new one and forced the system to take it, so now that is the new key that my new system is registered with, the description says can only run on 1 computer and is not transferable, don't believe everything you read. But I have to say that that Windows License process is grueling...so much so they must be making more sales because of it!

Now all I need is one of these, has anyone seen something like this in Thailand yet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147513&cm_re=portable_1tb_solid_state-_-20-147-513-_-Product

I just don't have room on my 512GB SSD plus the 128GB SSD that came with the machine for all my Virtual Machines, regular software, and Music stuff, though at home I won't use the music stuff on that machine. PS I just had to load up a VM that runs a Java app that requires at least 10GB RAM (we can hate Java for this all we want but there are a lot of legacy systems running it), worked like a charm.

Thanks for the report.

An external SSD drive... wow... sounds fantastic.

I've not seen them locally though.

Now I need to sabotage my Mac loving neighbour's internet connection so he cannot read your Windows problem story.

Bad Windows.. Bad!!!

I did note that it was fixed relatively quickly though. cool.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it's been over a week and I promised to follow up. The computer I bought seems like a keeper, very quiet and not hot. I don't use A/C so it must function in that environment. I pulled out the 1TB internal and replaced it with a Samsung EVO 850 1TB, so now I have enough space for things. I have opted out of using the external 1TB ssd as a) They are not shipping to Thailand yet and B) I have enough space now with my current setup and c) They are a bit more expensive. I am using a 1TB Seagate Backup drive regular speed for compressed backups (the ones that don't go on the internet) and it is over 30% free and will not need to be replaced with a 2TB for quite some time, perhaps never. So I am good on my workhorse and done shelling out cash. Hopefully the next time I need a new machine I will be able to use the 15,000Baht machine, whatever is available.

Also, I feel it is my duty to share this post I made to 2 of my sons. If someone doesn't need a lot of computing power it is possible to do everything in the $300

range, this one with Windows 10 (32-bit) and a 500GB hard drive, I am sure the Chromebooks are coming of age though I have not looked as well:

oh my, they are coming close to perfecting the $300 notebook computer: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspireswitch10e
I actually wish I could use one of those, seems so novel to me. I hope my mother gets one!

Archived