Jomtien Immigration Office Closed - 5-9 May 2016

The Immigration Office in Jomtien is closed from 5-9 May for Royal holidays.

Silly me, went there yesterday and saw the gate was closed. Taxi guy tells me "closed". I could see a sign on the door (while at the gate) but couldn't read it from there of course. No problem, I'll come back tomorrow !

Went back today and the gate was closed again, but this time there was a notice taped to the gate (in English) announcing the office closure. Here I was thinking I'd gotten lucky and beaten the unwashed masses to the front of the line, only to find that it was the unwashed masses that were having a laugh on me !

I'm going to guess that the 10th is going to be rather busy !

• Like 1

Yeah...Coronation Day this week then Royal Ploughing Ceremony Monday...with all the holidays, it's easy to see why all Thais want to work for the government. With Songkran, Labour Day, and then this week's holidays, it's one of the bad stretches of the yearly calendar, however, after Monday, I don't think there are any holidays for a couple months.

Yeah...Coronation Day this week then Royal Ploughing Ceremony Monday...with all the holidays, it's easy to see why all Thais want to work for the government. With Songkran, Labour Day, and then this week's holidays, it's one of the bad stretches of the yearly calendar, however, after Monday, I don't think there are any holidays for a couple months.

No, there's another bank holiday on Friday 20th May as well.

If two is a couple biggrin.png

Big big Buddha holiday Tuesday July 19 (Asanha Bucha) followed by Khao Pansa (begin of Buddhist lent), July 20.

Includes alcohol ban, bar closure. The whole program.

Expect a five day long weekend starting Sat July 16.

Gridlock to and in Pattaya as usual.

I arrive on 24th biggrin.png

EDIT: and of course May 20th. Didn;t read your post carefully.

Edited by KhunBENQ

One big holiday for immigration offices. They just had 5 days off for songkran. Pathetic

I agree it is pathetic. From what I hear from my Thai friends the decision to have holidays on today and Monday was only made yesterday, namely Thursday.This sudden decision to give themselves more days off will adversely affect a large amount of people who had planned or needed to visit immigration and it will also greatly inconvenience many others who find banks shut again.

So as well as being pathetic, its' selfish too.

Edited by zombie nights
  • Like 1

One big holiday for immigration offices. They just had 5 days off for songkran. Pathetic

I agree it is pathetic. From what I hear from my Thai friends the decision to have holidays on today and Monday was only made yesterday, namely Thursday.This sudden decision to give themselves more days off will adversely affect a large amount of people who had planned or needed to visit immigration and it will also greatly inconvenience many others who find banks shut again.

So as well as being pathetic, its' selfish too.

Today and Monday were announced as holidays since last year so I doubt the information from your friends.

• Like 1

Bad for who?? Not me look forward to holidays.

You forgot Friday the 20th a strict no drinking Buddhist holiday

Jomtien is open for business as per usual and of course the line-up was huge !

I arrived 7 am, an hour before the doors normally open (at 8). There were 6 people already there waiting. By 7:15 there was nearly 30 people in line. They started letting people in early so we could wait inside with the aircon. Some of the desks started calling for people at 8:20. I was #4 for the 90 Day desk and before the first person was called I saw people with numbers in the high 50s walking by (including one guy who looked Thai and was holding a Swiss passport and holding #458 but trying to stand in front of the desk hoping to squeeze in before anyone else - didn't work). They had 2 people on the 90 day desk and I was done by 08:34.

Walked outside and the line up was nearly to the gate at the far end of the parking lot ! One drawback to arriving early was I didn't think about how many people would arrive after me and park their motos behind mine. Must plan better next time and park in a spot where it'll be easier to get out of !

Jomtien is open for business as per usual and of course the line-up was huge !

I arrived 7 am, an hour before the doors normally open (at 8). There were 6 people already there waiting. By 7:15 there was nearly 30 people in line. They started letting people in early so we could wait inside with the aircon. Some of the desks started calling for people at 8:20. I was #4 for the 90 Day desk and before the first person was called I saw people with numbers in the high 50s walking by (including one guy who looked Thai and was holding a Swiss passport and holding #458 but trying to stand in front of the desk hoping to squeeze in before anyone else - didn't work). They had 2 people on the 90 day desk and I was done by 08:34.

Walked outside and the line up was nearly to the gate at the far end of the parking lot ! One drawback to arriving early was I didn't think about how many people would arrive after me and park their motos behind mine. Must plan better next time and park in a spot where it'll be easier to get out of !

Best plan is trying to avoid such busy days..

My goodness, this sounds like a normal day at Chiang Mai Immigration, only Kerryd would have arrived at 4 am to find 6 people already waiting. And that just would have been in the retirement extension queue.