Election results pour in from across UK

webfact

Election results pour in from across UK

Results are being declared in local elections in England and the Scottish Parliament with Wales to come later.

BBC analysis of key wards in England suggests Labour's vote is down eight points on 2012 when they were last contested but up three points on last year.

The Tories are holding their 2012 vote share but down on 2015.

The Lib Dems are recovering slightly and UKIP are holding on to the vote share they won at the general election.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2016-36218450

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-05-06

The tories are now the official opposition in the Scottish parliament? I cannot be the only Scot who feels a little unclean at that reality?

You have a collapsed Liberal party that has been going down the pan all over for years. A Labor party heading more left and more PC being soundly rejected because they don't have any real policies that might bring success but plenty of unacceptable PC ideas.

You have the SNP playing games to bring about another referendum, and another and another till they get a vote they like. Forget their vow of once in a generation. They lied. They only meant if the result was the one they wanted.

So people who don't want or trust SNP, don't want another referendum, and do want to be part of the Union have no where else to go but the Conservatives.

The SNP are polarizing Scottish politics by insisting and continually insisting everything is always and will always be about independence referendums. In doing so they have inadvertently strengthened the Conservatives.

Frightening.

The tories are now the official opposition in the Scottish parliament? I cannot be the only Scot who feels a little unclean at that reality?

You have a collapsed Liberal party that has been going down the pan all over for years. A Labor party heading more left and more PC being soundly rejected because they don't have any real policies that might bring success but plenty of unacceptable PC ideas.

You have the SNP playing games to bring about another referendum, and another and another till they get a vote they like. Forget their vow of once in a generation. They lied. They only meant if the result was the one they wanted.

So people who don't want or trust SNP, don't want another referendum, and do want to be part of the Union have no where else to go but the Conservatives.

The SNP are polarizing Scottish politics by insisting and continually insisting everything is always and will always be about independence referendums. In doing so they have inadvertently strengthened the Conservatives.

Frightening.

Scotland has a low key but innate left of centre approach to politics, which would suggest, based on your analysis, that Labour were a shoo-in. Clearly this was not the case.

The SNP are not playing games as far as I can see. They have been returned as the largest overall party for the third successive election - you don't get that sort of approval if you are playing games with politics or people. They are proving themselves to be a competent, responsible and coherent government, albeit of many hues, independence not being solely for the left or solely for the right. As for the indy elephant in the room, I am sure it is as much the journalists constantly bringing it up as any other reason for the topic being on the table constantly. So, no, I don't think that the SNP has caused this resurgence in conservatism, but the collapse of Labour in Scotland and the failure of the leadership to prove that they were a party worth backing.

On the positive side, despite being a nationalist, I am hopeful that a more coherent opposition will ensure that the SNP doesn't become lazy but stays on top of their game. 3 elections victories in a row seem to be about as long as any UK party can manage before imploding.

Frightening.

Scotland has a low key but innate left of centre approach to politics, which would suggest, based on your analysis, that Labour were a shoo-in. Clearly this was not the case.

The SNP are not playing games as far as I can see. They have been returned as the largest overall party for the third successive election - you don't get that sort of approval if you are playing games with politics or people. They are proving themselves to be a competent, responsible and coherent government, albeit of many hues, independence not being solely for the left or solely for the right. As for the indy elephant in the room, I am sure it is as much the journalists constantly bringing it up as any other reason for the topic being on the table constantly. So, no, I don't think that the SNP has caused this resurgence in conservatism, but the collapse of Labour in Scotland and the failure of the leadership to prove that they were a party worth backing.

On the positive side, despite being a nationalist, I am hopeful that a more coherent opposition will ensure that the SNP doesn't become lazy but stays on top of their game. 3 elections victories in a row seem to be about as long as any UK party can manage before imploding.

It's called SNP democracy.

post-78707-0-66260800-1462544413_thumb.j

Frightening.

It's called SNP democracy.

I am not sure what you object to. This wasn't some authoritarian diktat from the party leadership, but a motion passed by majority vote of all SNP members who attended the spring conference in 2015. Surely that is democracy?

Discipline is certainly much preferred over the comedy that is ukip Scotland and their current civil war.