Unbelievable

So, I did my research about the holiday schedule for the Thai consulate in Savannakhet. Arrived Monday evening stayed the night in Mukdahan and crossed over into Laos on Tuesday morning, handed in my passport and application, found a guest house. Wednesday afternoon picked up my passport with my fresh visa inside. After I got back to Mukdahan I was sitting in front of my hotel enjoying some cigarettes and beer and I was in complete shock to notice that no less than 5 people arrived at the hotel expecting to do business at the Thai consulate on Thursday. I find in unbelievable that so many people didn't do any research or planning and were completely unaware that there would be no consulate business from 5th to the 9th, resuming business on Tuesday the 10th. I hope those folks enjoy their long holiday in Savannakhet.

• Like 1

So many sources to get informed.

One of them is Thaivisa biggrin.png

One of the advantages of professional visa services is that they won't shuttle you to a closed office.

I have a big DIY wall calendar, steadily updated, color marked.

Keeping track with Thai (extra) holidays is kind of science.

Sometimes on fairly short notice.

The wall calendar also serves the purpose of travel planning/overview.

Never never I want to get into some nice "holiday"/long weekend traffic again bah.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

As my mother used to say!! there are people with brains, and some people without.!!

I am not that harsh and feel some pity for those who hit the wrong day.

It's indeed quite a mess.

This Royal Ploughing Ceremony (May 9) is an absolute no event anywhere out of Bangkok and has no effect on ordinary peoples daily life. But good enough for a government holiday.

And today is a present of Mr. P. to his loyal subordinates tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

As my mother used to say!! there are people with brains, and some people without.!!

This Royal Ploughing Ceremony (May 9) is an absolute no event anywhere out of Bangkok and has no effect on ordinary peoples daily life. But good enough for a government holiday.

I think there are 39 public Holidays this year.

Surely this is a populist policy, and from my experience damaging to the Thai economy.

I am waiting of release of things from Customs, documents from DBD, appointments with Tesabaan, and even the Postman. I am only on the fringe of Thai Society, but Feeling like I am the only one who cares. Is that Thainess? I am fed up.

There are 16 Public Holidays this year (extra holidays included). I don't know where you get 39 days for public holidays.

• Like 1

Surely this is a populist policy, and from my experience damaging to the Thai economy.

Populist for government and bank employees and school children.

The rest work as usual.

One of the advantages of professional visa services is that they won't shuttle you to a closed office.

Never never I want to get into some nice "holiday"/long weekend traffic again bah.gif

"kind of science" cheesy.gif

never heard of a calendar?

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/index.php

This is a lot of nonsense:

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/index.php

I just use the Google calendar app that comes standard with any Android phone to keep track of all my appointments and deadlines. The national holidays of as many countries as you want can be automatically added to the calendar.

Keeping a written wall or desk calendar is so last millennium. ☺

• Like 2

I imagine not all Farangs read this Forum....what's surprising about that? If I was due to sign at Immigration today I would have nipped on down there without a second thought. Why on earth would it enter my head ...."Hang on, I had better check the calendar to make sure today is not a public holiday

Has your life always been complicated by the occurrence of public holidays which are not something which is 'exclusive' to Thailand

• Like 1

I went to Savannakhet after Songkran and the consulate gave themselves an extra holiday for Laos new year