Thaksin Willing To Stand Trial

sriracha john

If it is true, it might be a sign that Thaksin is still confident that he can buy the judiciary here, like he has done so many times previously. :o

I think that is more a case of "I did not give any direct order to....".

Much as centuries ago King Henry 8th (before my time) asked aloud " who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" and a while later the Archbishop was murdered. All he wanted was a divorce as he ruled the country anyway.

All Thaksin has to say is that he didn't order it and then it is up to the prosecution to prove beyond a showow of a doubt that he did.

:D

At the risk of being accused of nit-picking, the line"Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest" was uttered by King Henry II,speaking about Thomas a Becket (The Lion in Winter). :D

The best solution for Takky & Podgy would be for a Robespierre type character to step out from the shadows of the coupe(sic) and offer them a chance to meet Mr.Guillotine in recognition of their lifestyle of excesses. Instant martyrdom. :D

But didn't Henry II get a good whippin' by a Becket's fellow monks at the end? Probably the same with Thaxon. He'll get convicted on something minor & the judge will hand him some outrageous long sentence & penalties for corruption. He'll lose face, pay up then certain persons with "extraconstitutional powers & beguiling charisma" will pardon him on the back-door understanding that he won't take a front & centre role in politics again.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it all the Thaksin stories have become surreal.

its surreal to those who fail to perceive reality.

Thaksin's stories became surreal long long time ago. I think in my very first post in political threads I asked "Is it only me or it really doesn't make any sense?"

For a long time Thaksin lived in his own version of reality where he could say stupidest things on Earth and get away with it. Then finally the real reality stepped in.

The same is about to happen to GW tomorrow (or maybe not).

Oldmanriver, I'm not aware of any charges against Thaksin yet. Do you mean the court of public opinion? He's got lawyers and spokespeople to present his side, the generals don't stop them.

Take excise tax for example - he legally changed the law to benefit his own company. Nothing you can do about it short of declaring the law illegal. Or the Ratchada sale case - I don't know if they can nail Thaksin for that, they will never find a written order to make sure his wife wins the bid. The courts will probably agree that any contract with the state for Potjamarn is illegal, but I have no idea what the punishment could be.

Thaksin is not a target, corruption is. They don't need to link each and every scandal to Thaksin to discredit his government.

How Thaksin can show patriotism

In disgrace and exile, Thaksin Shinawatra continues to be a main focus of attention. To put it another, better way: Mr Thaksin has become a major distraction for the entire country he has so terribly divided. One cannot know the exact motives of the ousted prime minister. But his various trips, proxy press conferences and moves by his relatives are serving no useful purpose. Far from helping the country, as he claims, Mr Thaksin is playing unnecessary and unhelpful games. In his latest phantom appearance, the ex-premier's recently appointed lawyer has been talking to the foreign press. Noppadol Pattama says his client would be willing to stand trial in Thailand. Mr Noppadol suggested such a mythical trial might be on charges of corruption, and of murder, referring to the 2003 ''war on drugs'' which claimed at least 2,598 lives. Mr Noppadol assured the foreign press that Mr Thaksin was completely innocent of any such charges, but was willing to put up with a trial if necessary. This is nothing but a red herring to keep Mr Thaksin's name in front of the public, and quite successfully at that. Mr Noppadol, being a lawyer, knows fully well that Mr Thaksin will neither choose the venue nor itemise the charges which may bring him to a court of justice at some point. Investigators are working to unravel a few of the multi-billion baht deals that Mr Thaksin and his government were involved in. While it is interesting that Mr Noppadol thinks his client is a suspect in graft and violence, he knows that no charges have as yet been discussed, let alone laid. Neither is it relevant that Mr Thaksin may be ''willing'' to stand trial. * sound familiar, Plus? * If eventually charged, Mr Thaksin will be afforded his rights like any other suspect. In the meantime, he has nothing to say about the charges. Mr Noppadol's proxy interviews are merely posturing on the part of the ex-premier. Here is an idea for the ex-prime minister: Get over it. The Sept 19 military coup will not be undone. It is impossible to return to the state of Sept 18. Mr Thaksin, the greatest divider in the recent history of Thailand, is unwelcome in the country and unpleasantly obstructive in trying to run the affairs of the nation.

Excellent article continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/07Nov2006_news23.php

Oldmanriver, I'm not aware of any charges against Thaksin yet. Do you mean the court of public opinion? He's got lawyers and spokespeople to present his side, the generals don't stop them.

Yes, in the truest sense, he is being tried publicly. A day doesn't go by without allegations being made against him. He has to use proxies to present his side, because he is not being allowed to return to face his accusers. He should have this right, even if held under house arrest upon returning. Note, my comments are not in support of what he did or did not do, but rather in support of a basic right he should have, even though if the situation was reversed, I doubt he would see it this way.

Yes, in the truest sense, he is being tried publicly. A day doesn't go by without allegations being made against him. He has to use proxies to present his side, because he is not being allowed to return to face his accusers. He should have this right, even if held under house arrest upon returning. Note, my comments are not in support of what he did or did not do, but rather in support of a basic right he should have, even though if the situation was reversed, I doubt he would see it this way.

He would not, even if he was here. When he was here, he never even accepted a live debate with other party leaders, knowing full well that he'd trip somewhere in the mine field of lies he's laid over the past five years, scared of getting entangled in his own complicated web of lies. The only interview he gave one on one with Sarayud showed him getting off topic when he felt some heat while unusually blinking and making strange gestures.

He would not, even if he was here. When he was here, he never even accepted a live debate with other party leaders, knowing full well that he'd trip somewhere in the mine field of lies he's laid over the past five years, scared of getting entangled in his own complicated web of lies. The only interview he gave one on one with Sarayud showed him getting off topic when he felt some heat while unusually blinking and making strange gestures.

First, he deserves the right to make that decision, not to be second guessed by others as to what decision he would make. Second, he did accept a live debate with other party leaders, although it came late in the game and his terms of not discussing his personal assets was turned down by the PAD. The PAD had already started their 48 hour ultimatum and didn't want to get sidetracked by another delay. The debate was being organized by P-Net, who worked tirelessly to put the parties together.

I do not support Dr. Thaksin for what he has done. I do support his having the same rights that we would expect if it was us.

I believe the debate with other leaders you are refering to was to be held in private.

Thailand under pressure to

resolve political crisis

Thaksin refuses TV debate with opponents

Agence France-Presse . Bangkok

Pressure is mounting for a settlement of Thailand’s political crisis, with observers saying Sunday they are concerned about the prospect of violence, economic damage and electoral gridlock.

An anti-government movement that emerged last year has developed into a major political force in the last month, with a series of mass rallies calling for the prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, to quit.

Thaksin has refused his opponents’ demands for a debate on live television, but is still willing to hold closed-door talks mediated by an academic council, a cabinet minister said Sunday.

‘It is the time for them to talk and jointly find a way out,’ said Council of University presidents of Thailand president Pratya Vesarach.

‘Right now, the country is facing a crisis caused by conflicts of opinion among the Thai people. The situation has intensified day by day and is likely to damage the country in many aspects.’

The anti-government campaign was given fresh impetus in January with the uproar that greeted the tax-free sale by Thaksin’s family of their stake in Shin Corp, the telecoms giant he founded before entering politics.

But with two landslide election victories behind him and the firm support of voters in populous rural provinces, Thaksin has refused to give his opponents any ground and frustrated them by calling a snap poll to defuse the crisis.

Business leaders, commentators, royal advisers and police are now warning that Thailand has much to lose if the two camps do not quickly forge a compromise.

The Federation of Thai Industries, the largest group representing the business community, said the prospect of talks between Thaksin and his opponents was a positive sign.

‘We want to see the conflict ended as soon as possible,’ federation vice chairman Santi Vilassakdanont said Sunday.

Santi said the government must not allow the situation to fester and increase the risk of confrontation at the protests, which have drawn tens of thousands of people.

http://www.newagebd.com/2006/mar/13/inat.html

and here: http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx...D=9490000033975

The prospect of a live TV debate was raised when Thaksin appeared on Channel 9 Friday night and said he was willing to debate either Sondhi or his former political mentor, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang. But on Saturday Thaksin backpedaled, telling reporters: “Who said it would be a debate? It would be fine to have a talk between the three of us.” :o

Once a coward, always a coward. I'm sure he finds it useful to be away from the cuntry for now as it fits his style and tactics.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I believe the debate with other leaders you are refering to was to be held in private.

Thailand under pressure to

resolve political crisis

Thaksin refuses TV debate with opponents

Agence France-Presse . Bangkok

Your full message on TV has now come up on my computer, so disregard my PM. The bottom line is that there was an 11th hour agreement by the former PM and others, to have a public TV debate. This came after the public announcements that there would be no debate, such as you have above. The PAD turned it down for the reasons I mentioned.

Really, none of this should surprise anyone when you think of it, as the former PM would only compromise if he felt his back was up against the wall, and of course only under his terms.

I don't see any new accusations against Thaksin surfacing after the coup. Thaksin has never answered them when there were first aired, why should he be invited for a debate now? I mean why should he be allowed a microphone? He's a leader outsted in a military coup.

What is the world coming to?

Is it just me or have we already been down this road ad nauseum months ago?

the same with PAD rallies/Caravan of Poor gatherings, etc.. and a host of other issues leading up to Thaksin departing from this country and not returning that are in this and other threads.... are we now revising how events unfolded?

I don't recall a single episode of Thaksin agreeing to and was willing to openly debate opposition candidates in public.

If there is some reference that says he did, I'd be happy to read it.

Edited by sriracha john

I don't see any new accusations against Thaksin surfacing after the coup. Thaksin has never answered them when there were first aired, why should he be invited for a debate now? I mean why should he be allowed a microphone? He's a leader outsted in a military coup.

What is the world coming to?

No Plus, I was never advocating a debate. I was simply saying that one had been set up almost a year ago when someone said there was never one set up. That's all. The discussion had nothing to do with a debate now, as this would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Is it just me or have we already been down this road ad nauseum months ago?

the same with PAD rallies/Caravan of Poor gatherings, etc.. and a host of other issues leading up to Thaksin departing from this country and not returning that are in this and other threads.... are we now revising how events unfolded?

I don't recall a single episode of Thaksin agreeing to and was willing to openly debate opposition candidates in public.

If there is some reference that says he did, I'd be happy to read it.

I will PM you.

• 6 months later...
"No direct allegations have been made against the former prime minister or his wife. The matters are being investigated," said Mr. Thaksin's recently appointed lawyer, Noppadol Pattama.

UPDATE

Mr Noppadol might find that direct allegations against him may be forthcoming:

Noppadol probe

Activist Chanapat na Nakhon yesterday asked the Anti-Money Laundering Office to check on the finances of Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser, Noppadol Pattama. Chanapat claims Noppadol's assets increased more than Bt100 million during the time he served as deputy minister for natural resources and the environment in the Thaksin government.

- The Nation / May 10, 2007

===========

In an interesting add-on twist:

Profile of Thaksin's mouthpiece: Noppadon Pattama has a mind of his own

Too polite to divulge how much he earns from defending Mr Thaksin, he reveals only that it is nowhere near the speculated 10 million baht.

- Bangkok Post / http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories.php?id=115952

--------------------

With 100 million baht already skimmed off during his time in Thaksin's Cabinet, there's no need to be paid 10 million baht as Thaksin's Lawyer.

===========

And perhaps with some good luck, we'll be fortunate to see if Thaksin really is "Willing To Stand Trial"

AEC Decides To Prosecute Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra

Thaksin likes only to tell his story. He is not in the slightest bit interested in actually having a debate let alone defending himself.

He views himself as unquestionable and has shown that many times over his term. He will not be defending himself but paying somone else to do that. After all why should he? he's mega rich so that proves he can do what he wants right? :o

"No direct allegations have been made against the former prime minister or his wife. The matters are being investigated," said Mr. Thaksin's recently appointed lawyer, Noppadol Pattama.

UPDATE

Noppadol probe

Activist Chanapat na Nakhon yesterday asked the Anti-Money Laundering Office to check on the finances of Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser, Noppadol Pattama. Chanapat claims Noppadol's assets increased more than Bt100 million during the time he served as deputy minister for natural resources and the environment in the Thaksin government.

===========

Too polite to divulge how much he earns from defending Mr Thaksin, he reveals only that it is nowhere near the speculated 10 million baht.

--------------------

With 100 million baht already skimmed off during his time in Thaksin's Cabinet, there's no need to be paid 10 million baht as Thaksin's Lawyer.

===========

And perhaps with some good luck, we'll be fortunate to see if Thaksin really is "Willing To Stand Trial"

I usually take pleasure in editing pictures with Photoshop but Noppadon beat me to it by exposing this one himself to the world through his website..

head1.gif

Noppdon to file libel suit against activist

Noppadon Pattama, legal adviser to ousted premier, said Thursday he would file a libel suit against activist Chanapat na Nakhon for accusing him of being involved in deforestation when he was deputy minister for natural resources and the environment in the last government.

The legal adviser to deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Chanapat's claim was untrue.

On Wednesday, Chanapat accused Noppadon of being involved in deforestation in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat. He also asked the AntiMoney Laundering Office (AMLO) to check Noppadon's financial affairs, claiming his assets increased by more than Bt100 million.

"If the AMLO calls me to give testimony, I will bring all the evidence to prove that I was innocent," said Noppadon.

(Funny, when his clients testify, they never have evidence on hand...)

He said Chanapat was part of a movement to discredit Thaksin, including him as Thaksin's legal adviser.

As well as the libel action, Noppadon is also preparing a civil lawsuit against the activist demanding Bt10 million in compensation.

"If I win the lawsuit, I will donate the money to a foundation caring for the mentally retarded," he said. :o

The Nation

From his website

THAI TAKES BY PHILIP GOLINGAI

AFTER lawyer Noppadon Pattama received the intelligence report from a

reliable source in a Thai government security agency, his client provided

him with three bodyguards and a bullet-proof car.

The source told Noppadon on Jan 7 that unless he quit as ousted prime

minister Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser, his life would be in danger.

Since becoming Thaksin's legal adviser in October, the 45-year-old lawyer

found instant fame in Thailand, speaking on behalf of his client "to

provide explanations and facts."

Verbal abuses and death threats came along with fame.

However, he ignored them, thinking they came from people with mental

problems or who disliked Thaksin.

Nevertheless, in December, he changed his handphone number as the threats

got to him.

"I was depressed around that time," he disclosed. "I couldn't understand

why in a civilised world when you disagree with someone, you couldn't

debate it, instead of making death threats." Or launch yet another lawsuit?

Then, early this month, he received a warning about an attempt on his life.

This time he took the death threat seriously as it came from someone well

connected.

"And around that time the situation regarding the ex-PM was getting

intense," he explained, referring to the accusation that Thaksin was

behind the New Year's Eve co-ordinated bombings that ripped Bangkok,

killing three Thais.

Concerned, Thaksin advised his lawyer to take the intimidation gravely,

and facilitated security measures for him.

It is not unusual to receive death threats in Thailand.

"Sometimes the killing occurs, sometimes it doesn't. You never know,"

Noppadon said. "Somchai disappeared and we don't know what happened to

him." :o

He was referring to prominent Muslim lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit who went

missing on March 12, 2004, after disclosing that police had tortured his

clients.

On Thursday, in an interview in a Starbucks cafe along Rachadapisek Road

in Bangkok, a jovial Noppadon revealed that he was feeling safe now. But

it was not because of his security personnel.

"I can sense that national reconciliation is on the way. :D And the top

generals are no longer hostile to the idea of Thaksin returning home

subject to certain conditions," he explained, as his inconspicuous

bodyguards lurked in the shadow.

The British-educated divorc??? peppered the interview with his funny

remarks; for example, "Seriously, I do have a bullet-proof car. But I

hope it is also bomb proof" and "Now I change the place where I sleep but

I still retain the same sleeping partner."

He can sleep better now. For the last two weeks he has not received any

death threat.

Threat or not, Noppadon does not regret taking the job, which he

described as an honour and a "once in a lifetime experience." :D = $$$

He accepted it to repay a debt of gratitude to Thaksin who appointed him

natural resources and environment vice-minister shortly after the Bangkok

MP switched from the Democrat Party to Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (TRT).

"I never abandon my friends during hard times," said the prot???g??? of Thai

former prime minister Chuan Leekpai, who is the Democrat Party adviser.

Probably Thaksin has no regrets hiring Noppadon as a Thai newspaper

described him as "smart enough to comment on Thaksin-related issues to

ensure the continuation of the former premier's news shelf life."

On Jan 10, the Council for National Security (the official name of the

coup makers) ordered broadcast media to cease airing views defending

Thaksin and the TRT party.

"It is unfair. When the government makes an allegation against my client,

I don't have the same tool to counter it," protested the lawyer.

Asked how Thaksin was doing, Noppadon, with a cheeky grin, said,

"unemployed but happy."

"Thaksin is in Tokyo. Last night (Wednesday) he had sushi and Kobe beef.

And he is flying to Beijing tomorrow (yesterday),'' he revealed.

On why Thaksin visited Thailand's neighbours China, Hong Kong,

Indonesia and Singapore he said: "Now that he is unemployed, he wants

to take the opportunity to travel, play golf, shop and meet up with old

friends."

Noppadon is not aware of any plan by Thaksin to visit his good friend

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad in Malaysia.

"You should develop a good golf course, and he will visit Malaysia," he

quipped.

Are we starting to get into the frivolous legal action again? Amazingly enough, his client ran his mouth everyday he was in office insulting people and putting them down.

I don’t want to pick on Noppadon as Thaksin has done enough to ruin him for the rest of his life. He is in a bit of a predicament, if he does anything else other than the path he is one he will suffer a loss of face and perhaps loss of life. If he drops Thaksin as a client there will be tremendous fallout. For a lawyer needing to have his number private and bodyguards certainly says a lot. Saying he is in the eye of the storm is an understatement. After this Thaksin saga is all over he will have a lot to think about.

Now with pojaman walking away from giving testimony he look to be completely representing a bunch of arrogant self serving greedy people. Guilt by association will stick with him probably for the rest of his life. No wonder there is an investigation on him that was just launched.

UPDATE

Noppadol probe

===========

--------------------

===========

I usually take pleasure in editing pictures with Photoshop but Noppadon beat me to it by exposing this one himself to the world through his website..

How cheesy it is that he has an American bald eagle feature so prominately in the header of his website??

:o and his motto sounds like something from a cartoon super-hero. All that's missing are some photoshopped bulging biceps on his picture.

noppadope.gif

head1.gif

Noppdon to file libel suit against activist

Noppadon Pattama, legal adviser to ousted premier, said Thursday he would file a libel suit against activist Chanapat na Nakhon for accusing him of being involved in deforestation when he was deputy minister for natural resources and the environment in the last government.

The legal adviser to deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Chanapat's claim was untrue.

On Wednesday, Chanapat accused Noppadon of being involved in deforestation in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat. He also asked the AntiMoney Laundering Office (AMLO) to check Noppadon's financial affairs, claiming his assets increased by more than Bt100 million.

"If the AMLO calls me to give testimony, I will bring all the evidence to prove that I was innocent," said Noppadon.

(Funny, when his clients testify, they never have evidence on hand...)

He said Chanapat was part of a movement to discredit Thaksin, including him as Thaksin's legal adviser.

As well as the libel action, Noppadon is also preparing a civil lawsuit against the activist demanding Bt10 million in compensation.

"If I win the lawsuit, I will donate the money to a foundation caring for the mentally retarded," he said. :D

Too bad he didn't say he'd give it to the criminally insane... then he could keep it in his own bank account.

The Nation

Noppadope...

Edited by sriracha john

Are we starting to get into the frivolous legal action again? Amazingly enough, his client ran his mouth everyday he was in office insulting people and putting them down.

I don’t want to pick on Noppadon as Thaksin has done enough to ruin him for the rest of his life. He is in a bit of a predicament, if he does anything else other than the path he is one he will suffer a loss of face and perhaps loss of life. If he drops Thaksin as a client there will be tremendous fallout. For a lawyer needing to have his number private and bodyguards certainly says a lot. Saying he is in the eye of the storm is an understatement. After this Thaksin saga is all over he will have a lot to think about.

Now with pojaman walking away from giving testimony he look to be completely representing a bunch of arrogant self serving greedy people. Guilt by association will stick with him probably for the rest of his life. No wonder there is an investigation on him that was just launched.

Would you prefer a system where some people were denied legal representation? Or where lawyers only defend the popular or the 'innocent'? Or lawyers who do not, as lawyers constantly do in the west, defend their clients outside the courtroom?

Like him or not, Noppadom is doing what lawyers do.

And among most people who recognize the role of lawyers in the legal system, guilt by association is not a problem- (lawyers make their name representing unpopular clients- and not just in Thailand).

After this, if Noppadol performs reasonably well- he will be the most highly sought lawyer in the land- even among those who despised his previous clients.

Would you prefer a system where some people were denied legal representation? Or where lawyers only defend the popular or the 'innocent'? Or lawyers who do not, as lawyers constantly do in the west, defend their clients outside the courtroom?

Like him or not, Noppadom is doing what lawyers do.

And among most people who recognize the role of lawyers in the legal system, guilt by association is not a problem- (lawyers make their name representing unpopular clients- and not just in Thailand).

After this, if Noppadol performs reasonably well- he will be the most highly sought lawyer in the land- even among those who despised his previous clients.

Yes I agree with you 100%, but I am not so sure if the Thais can see past that. Silvester Stallone will forever be “Rocky.” Many may not be able to separate on a subconscious level to see past that he is only a hired mouthpiece for Thaksin. I feel this investigation supports that. If Thaksin loses in court, Thaksin may be able to successfully cry foul because his legal representation is distracted by his own legal issues and not at 100%.

However I can’t help but wonder if what he says in public is exactly what Thaksin says word for word, or is it more selective as a good lawyer should do. If it is more selective then I would love to hear the raw unedited conversations he has with Thaksin.

:D:o:D

Edited by John K

Whatever his future is.... he's just GOTTA learn how to find a suitable tailor that can properly measure the length of his arms:

greattailoring.jpg

Naewna newspaper's coverage of his protestations today.

*not sure what the peculiar appearance of his mouth indicates.. but perhaps he just came from a "meeting" with Thaksin's son to discuss various issues.*

Whatever his future is.... he's just GOTTA learn how to find a suitable tailor that can properly measure the length of his arms:

greattailoring.jpg

Naewna newspaper's coverage of his protestations today.

*not sure what the peculiar appearance of his mouth indicates.. but perhaps he just came from a "meeting" with Thaksin's son to discuss various issues.*

:o

No need to drag a trial out - just have Thaksin give the Generals 10 billion baht and everyone who counts is happy! They'll put their guns down to count their money...

taksin will never come to thailand to stand trial ,as for the pay off i bet hes already tried and failed :o

Taksin says he wants to come to stand trial, but does anybody really think the present military dictatorship ruling Thailand at the moment really want him to? I would think absolutely not. They do not want him to stand trial. They do not even want him back in Thailand. The reason is because they know they have no credible case against him and their own status is illegal anyway.

No need to drag a trial out - just have Thaksin give the Generals 10 billion baht and everyone who counts is happy! They'll put their guns down to count their money...

taksin will never come to thailand to stand trial ,as for the pay off i bet hes already tried and failed :o

Good point on the payoff. There is a lot of face to be gained by doing the right thing this time, and loss of face at the very top if people are bought. I think if Thaksin feels there is any chance he can successfully manipulate things he will come back, other wise not.