Applied for a new passport but need to extend non imm-o

Hi to all,

I'm confused about my situation here. I stay here in Thailand on a 1 year non immigrant o multiple entry visa based on marriage.

My passport is valid for another 10 months and I applied for a new passport that will arrive within 4 week in the mail.

I am still holding my old passport so I can extend my visa.

My visa will expire within a week and I plan to renew in Savannakhet before expiration.

After I have my visa renewed I have to bring in my old passport to the embassy so it will be made invalid and will be returned together with my new passport.

I've googled and looked around about my situation but find it hard to distill something that matches what I'm looking for, apologies if this has been posted about before.

My questions are:

Will they renew my non immigrant o visa on a passport that is valid for 10 months?

If not, what to do?

Is there a better maybe more efficient way than I plan to do?

OP

What do you mean by "extend my visa" ?

Visas cannot be extended.

If you obtain a new multiple entry visa in the "old" passport you will have to use both passports when you leave and reenter the country.

Hi Johnatong.

I understand I frased it wrong, the question is "Can I obtain a new multiple entry visa on a passport that will expire in about 10 months from now.

My new passport will arrive one month from now, so I will only have my old passport when I apply for my new multiple entry visa.

So I am not the only one confused.

Savannakhet sounds indeed like you want to apply for a new Non O visa.

Extensions are a completely different matter and done at the Thai immigration office for your place of stay.

And what does actually expire?

I guess the visa has already expired (ENTER BEFORE date) and you refer to the ADMITTED UNTIL stamp from your last entry to Thailand.

Please clarify.

There are different possibilities depending on your answer.

One probably being an extension (!) of your current stay for 60 days based on marriage.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Extensions are a completely different matter and done at the Thai immigration office for your place of stay.

I guess the visa has already expired (ENTER BEFORE date) and you refer to the ADMITTED UNTIL stamp from your last entry to Thailand.

Please clarify.

One probably being an extension (!) of your current stay for 60 days based on marriage.

Indeed, you are right, the visa has expired and I refer to the Admitted until.

I have not made an extension because I am not aware this is possible on this type of visa.

All I know is that I need to apply for a new 1 year multiple entry non imm-o visa but my passport expires 10 months from now.

Edited by Rimbuman

If your paspoort is sill valid for 10 months, than you can make a trip to savannaket and apply for a new multiple entry visa, they will issue the visa till your expire date of your paspoort.

Please clarify.

I have not made an extension because I am not aware this is possible on this type of visa.

All I know is that I need to apply for a new 1 year multiple entry non imm-o visa but my passport expires 10 months from now.

You can extend your type of "Visa" at Immigration in Thailand.

60 days with no financials. That might give you time until your new passport arrives.

You can also extend by 12 months if you have 400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

With your current passport you would only get 10 months.

Edited by Eclipse

Please clarify.

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit her at an immigration office.

Please clarify.

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit her at an immigration office.

Thank you for all the info, I'm going to be OK now. :-)

Please clarify.

You can extend your type of "Visa" at Immigration in Thailand.

60 days with no financials. That might give you time until your new passport arrives.

You can also extend by 12 months if you have 400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

With your current passport you would only get 10 months.

Once you have your new visa in your old passport, you take your old and new passports back to immigration and apply to transfer your visa to your new passport.

vivasamui

Valid VISAS cannot be and never are,'transferred'

If a valid visa is in an expired or cancelled passport it is necessary for both passports to be used when entering/departing the country.

This I was aware of, but thank you of mentioning it.