Syrian and Russian military deny conducting air strike on refugee camp

rooster59

Syrian and Russian military deny conducting air strike on refugee camp

post-247607-0-20011200-1462593248_thumb.

The Syrian military has denied it conducted deadly air strikes on a refugee camp near the Turkish border. It comes after the Russian Defence Ministry said no aircraft flew over the camp that day, and suggested rebel group, al-Nusra could have been responsible.

The UN has called for an inquiry into what they said could be a war crime and added that initial reports, which remain to be verified, suggested Syrian forces were behind the attacks. Rupert Colville, the UN Human Rights chief spokesperson said:

“At least 30 people killed, we understand possibly more, and really, I mean, it seems impossible that this could be an accident. I mean, if you flying an aircraft you can see a camp like this very clearly, you can see what it is. So it looks, it looks awfully like this was deliberate, and if so it would be a war crime.”

The strike took place in Idlib province 30 kms to the west of Aleppo which has been subject to a temporary ceasefire since Thursday.

As the US and Russia attempt to calm hostilities, activists report that opposition groups are gaining ground around the city.

Multiple rebel sources say that Khan Touman, located on the highway to Aleppo, had been captured. A Syrian army source denied the village had fallen.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-07

It comes after the Russian Defence Ministry said no aircraft flew over the camp that day, and suggested rebel group, al-Nusra could have been responsible.

al-Nusra doesn't have planes! cheesy.gif Lost a bit of credibility there. tongue.png

Major-General Igor Konashenkov, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman, said on Friday:

"Considering the fracture pattern, seen in the pictures and videos taken at the site, the camp could have been shelled, either intentionally or by mistake, by rocket artillery, which is in active use in the area by militants from the terror group Al-Nusra Front,"

It comes after the Russian Defence Ministry said no aircraft flew over the camp that day, and suggested rebel group, al-Nusra could have been responsible.

al-Nusra doesn't have planes! cheesy.gif Lost a bit of credibility there. tongue.png

must have been the turks then.

The US has an "eye in the sky" in the area. They've probably got a good idea of who it was. Can't be Turks as Russia said they'd shoot their planes down if they entered Syrian airspace. Tit for tat? LOL

It may have been an artillery strike. I don't see any reference to aircraft in that article, other than Russia and Syria denying airstrikes. When it's proven that aircraft were involved, only then can al-Nusra be taken out of the equation.

It may have been an artillery strike. I don't see any reference to aircraft in that article, other than Russia and Syria denying airstrikes. When it's proven that aircraft were involved, only then can al-Nusra be taken out of the equation.

It's been confirmed as an airstrike. So down to Syria or Russia as the culprits. Both are actively bombing any group opposed to Assad. Many times using crude barrel bombs that kill any and all that are nearby and aren't very accurate.

The US has an "eye in the sky" in the area. They've probably got a good idea of who it was. Can't be Turks as Russia said they'd shoot their planes down if they entered Syrian airspace. Tit for tat? LOL

Then why don't they tell us?

It has nothing to do with security. It has to do with public relations. Syria is killing, or permitting to be killed, it's own citizens. If I were Syrian, whether an Assad supporter or not, I would be very nervous about now.

It's been confirmed as an airstrike. So down to Syria or Russia as the culprits. Both are actively bombing any group opposed to Assad. Many times using crude barrel bombs that kill any and all that are nearby and aren't very accurate.

Not in thr OP it wasn't. Perhaps elsewhere that I've not read?

Not in thr OP it wasn't. Perhaps elsewhere that I've not read?

The OP does say airstrike, just doesn't say who did it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36218997

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/05/deadly-air-strike-hits-syrian-refugee-camp-idlib-160505171436082.html