Mine company sues Loei villagers for THB 320 mn

webfact

Mine company sues Loei villagers for THB 320 mn

LOEI, 10 May 2016 (NNT) - Lawyers and human right activists in Loei are fighting against a company which sues the local people for 320 million baht for building a wall between their village and the entrance of the company’s mine.

Lawyer from the Legal Center for Human Rights Center Suthikiat Khachaso said a group of local people in Wang Saphung district faced dozens of civil and criminal charges after they constructed the wall on a public property. Lawyer from the Foundation for Community Information Thiraphan Phankhiri added that the company did not expect to win the case but they wanted to destroy the local people’s morale by suing them for a lot of money.

Meanwhile, representative of the local people Suraphan Ruchichaiyawat said the people did not want a mine in their village due to its health and environmental impacts. The company had never allowed the people to take part in a public hearing for the mine as required by the laws, he said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-10 footer_n.gif

Such a sad digging in heels situation,

when communication from the outset

could have eleveated all these problems

MONEY vs community

when it should have been

COMMUNITY vs money as the first steps to a good

working relationship,

I am not sure what all this wall thing is about , but the mining company has a moral obligation to the surrounding villagers to negotiate and work through any problems that may arise in their mine life , this old fashion blustering their way to get what they want is a thing of the past , If this mining company requires a negotiator , I am av during the month of June , of course blocking off a road , if that road has public access is illegal also ........................................coffee1.gif .

Is this the so called Australian company? If so it makes me sick that these pieces of excrement is what people will associate Australia with. Embarressed to be an Aussie if this is the case. Boot their asses out of their. Coming over here and trying the strong arm tactics associated with these mining company scum bags. Make a hell of a mess of the enviroment by raping it then pack up and leave it to others to clean up.

Our Tambon (Wang Phlong) has the displeasure of having to deal with a bastard mining company that want to rip up the hill above Ban Kao Kieaw in their greedy desire to get the yellow metal. The good people of Loei have been helpful to our village people with numerous discussions and meeting.

The current squatter government is "streamlining" planning regulations which prevent corporate giants from treading local protesters into the dust. Whose side are they really on?

The company had never allowed the people to take part in a public hearing for the mine as required by the laws

And that's perfectly okay for the junta who decides what laws are relevant to its own needs. If its needs are to secure corporate loyalty. It will take the side of corporations over villagers.

T.P.P. IMPLICATIONS

This is typical of the type of problems which will proliferate in countries which were stupid enough to sign Obama's T.P.P. Agreement.

Bloodsucking US corporations will be empowered to sue protesters (AND governments) for lost profits, caused by their legitimate protests.

Worse still, the case will not be heard in the country's Courts, but will be decided by a corporate backed Tribunal.

A complete travesty of justice, and national sovereignty !

Is this the so called Australian company? If so it makes me sick that these pieces of excrement is what people will associate Australia with. Embarressed to be an Aussie if this is the case. Boot their asses out of their. Coming over here and trying the strong arm tactics associated with these mining company scum bags. Make a hell of a mess of the enviroment by raping it then pack up and leave it to others to clean up.

Yes, it's dreadful but it no longer has any direct Australian connection. It was originally funded from Australia and Penang as Tongkah Harbour Tin Dredging but there hasn't been any direct ownership since the the 1950s or even before.

The company had never allowed the people to take part in a public hearing for the mine as required by the laws

And that's perfectly okay for the junta who decides what laws are relevant to its own needs. If its needs are to secure corporate loyalty. It will take the side of corporations over villagers.

So if the company is suing the villagers over "the wall" blocking access to the site.....then the villagers need to sue the company for blocking access to the villagers to express their views/thoughts in meetings.