Order on Amazon

Berty100

This practice of using re-shippers has worked for me in the past but it seems that certain retailers are starting to crack down on this practice due to pressure from the manufacturers. I remember ordering something that was a US only item and my order was eventually rejected saying that my destination address was a re-shipper which was against the manufacturers rules.

I've very rarely had that happen. Remember it happened once with Walmart, and I saw other reshipping customers have the same issue with them, but that was a couple years ago, not sure if that's still the case.

But with Amazon, IME, they're perfectly fine to ship pretty much anywhere in the U.S., regardless of ultimate reshipping status, provided it's a regular address as opposed to a post office box.

I have had good success with ordering from Amazon.

The trick is to filter your search only on items that are available with Amazon Global service.

Amazon Global estimates the import duty for the item, and includes it in price with delivery. The guarantee is that if it turns out to cost more import tax, Amazon pays it out of their own pocket. If it turns out that it costs less import tax, Amazon refunds you the difference.

I've ordered some pretty expensive items, and also some pretty fragile ones (fishing rods), and delivery has been perfect every time. I have also received a refund on import tax for every item as it has been less than Amazon estimated.

just to be clear:

If someone is just ordering one thing or ordering very rarely, then I guess it's fine to use Amazon's Global shipping service. That only gives you access to a portion of Amazon's inventory (the global portion). The shipping rates are going to be expensive (basically DHL/FedEx intl package rates) and for most things you're going to be paying Thai duty.

However, if you're ordering a lot of things or ordering frequently as I do, then it makes vastly more sense to make arrangements with an international re-shipping service based in the U.S. You get access to the entirety of Amazon's inventory, plus Amazon Prime Free (U.S.) shipping if you're a Prime member. The shipping rates to Thailand, depending on the reshipper, could be much less than Amazon's Global rates. And you have the potential to avoid Thai duty, especially on packages valued under 1500b.

• 1 month later...

It's amazing that some people don't realise that the 'free shipping' only applies if the delivery address is located in the country where Amazon is shipping from and that to send it half way around the world actually costs a lot more and is of course charged to you.

If I use Amazon it's for items which are impossible to find locally and then I pay express shipping along with the full duty and tax which is applied to both the ordered items and the shipping cost.

Ordering from the USA is much cheaper than the UK due to shipping charges being much cheaper from the US, we're talking DHL or FedEx here.

Also, it's quite common for the express shipping around the world to cost more than the goods and you will be taxed on the shipping amount as well.

It's not a rip off, you're paying for a high end service here.

No free shipping is not only for shipping within the US, because from the time you just view the item they already know it has to be shipped to Banglamung - Thailand.

It is when you check out, and only at the very last step, that you get informed that you need to order more books to get the free shipping.I forgot the amount but it's something like $50 of books on top of my surge protector.. If I order something from Ebay or any other e-commerce site, and it says free shipping in the listing, that mean the item will ship for free at the check out as well.

And do you think it's normal that on a $15.90 item there will be $13.70 import duties?

Yes it is a rip off, and I don't see anything high end in shipping a surge protector by USPS, and you are clearly their fanboy.

You misunderstand. It's not just an import duty fee. It covers all taxes and it's covers clearance at customs too. They have Amazon clearing agents, just as eBay has clearing agents working with customs here in Thailand. There's a service fee included in the fee. It's takes all the hassles away.

I paid $60 total for an item which cost $20.

For all the whining you do about the costs you'll miss out on stuff you cannot get any other way. I really, really wanted the item. It was not available through any other seller on either eBay or Amazon. I had no choice.

I'm really happy I bought it. It was delivered really quickly too.

Would I pay that kind of money for a surge protector? No I wouldn't as there are many choices available for such items. At the end of the day it's about how badly you want a particular item - add the shipping and customs and call that the price.