Anyone had their Degree Certificate verified in the UK Embassy?

Hello All

I'm renewing my teaching visa and need to get my certificates verified by the uk embassy. I've been told I can just walk in with my documents and get the verification paper there and then. Is this true?

thanks in advance and regards to all on here

LL

Make a certified copy of a document

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of

• British passports: By appointment only

UK degree certificates: By postal application or appointment

British driving licenses: By appointment only

The fee is determined by the number of pages requiring certification

Certified Copies of UK degree certificates

Degree certificates have to be issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed Legalisation Office website

This service can be provided in person or via postal application.

By Post: further details on how to make a certified copy by post can be found onPostage application for certified copies (PDF, 261KB, 2 pages) and Credit card authorisation form (PDF, 303KB, 1 page)

No, it's not true. You have to make an appointment on line or send it by post to be done. I have just sent mine by post because the next avalible appointment is ont for a week or more. They don't 'verify' your degree, they simply copy it and certify that it is a genuine copy of the certificate presented to them, which in itself could be a fake! To get a degree 'verified' you do it through a government agency in the UK and it costs £60 per document pluse postage by courier. It's a total nonsense but I guess its TiT!

The UK Embassy is not there to provide you with any convenient and reasonably priced service, or to be sure, any service whatsoever.

Indeed I have the feeling that they positively detest any members of the hoi palloi who dare to approach the building.

Their sole aim is to cavort around the social gatherings of the rich, spouting about the "Great British Empire" and some vague nonsense of "developing business relationships", which, as far as I know, has not had much of a result.

Even the issuance of that coveted emblem of UK Citizenship has been hived off to, I believe, some Indian based company. Clearly way too much trouble. Must have caused no end of problems.

"Oh, so sorry, muss orf now, have to deal with some bloody passport applications. Pity about that bottle of gin. See you next week."

Edited by 12DrinkMore

The procedure for US degrees is to have the university send your transcripts in a sealed envelope to your prospective employer. Not sure about today, but I had my doctoral transcripts sent to Mahidol university years ago and that is what they wanted.

Has this become a 'normal' part of the process of starting a new teaching job? Or is it something that is only required sometimes?

Only sometimes. Depends on the mood of the people or even one person. No set rules or requirements. Just think about urine on a wall and you've got the context.

• 3 months later...