Parents pay more for new school term opening next week

webfact

Parents pay more for new school term opening next week

new-school-term-wpcf_728x409.png

BANGKOK: -- The new school term is to start next week and this means parents will need to spend more money to pay for new school fees, textbooks, stationary, new school uniforms, and etc.

This year, school expenditures will be the highest in three years, a leading private research centre revealed after a recent survey among parents.

The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) estimated that parents would spend over 49 billion baht ahead of the new school term, an increase of about 2.3 per cent, the highest figure in over 3 years.

However, it said around 51.3 per cent of the parents have said their earnings would not be enough to meet the family’s spending, and that they have to go for borrowing to spend.

In the same survey, the centre said 42.3 per cent said goods prices remained unchanged from last year, while 33.4 per cent said that goods are more expensive, and around 24.3 per cent said good prices have lowered.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162835

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-11

Paid 26.000 THB and 1600 for books and 2600 for uniforms. They called it English program, think it should been called Phillippine program.

Majority of english programs are a joke. Kids would be better using youtube to learn an hour a day.

I also dont get why 1 of my Gf's daughter (M2) broke up from school nearly a full month before her sister (M1) for the recent break??? Yet we have to pay identical amounts in fees.

I not give my son learn English at school ,I teach him at home ,some of his friends learn English but not learn right. ,the teacher can't speak English,and 4 uniforms for 5 days ,unbelievable

I hope you teach your son better English than what you write.

And about the 4 uniforms, man that is ritch.

My son has vacation now too and you know what? He is playing everyday outside with his friends and uses atleast 3 sets of clothes a day.

A clean school uniform a day only means that the kids are dresed clean.

Edited by dutchisaan

I not give my son learn English at school ,I teach him at home ,some of his friends learn English but not learn right. ,the teacher can't speak English,and 4 uniforms for 5 days ,unbelievable

My son has vacation now too and you know what? He is playing everyday outside with his friends and uses atleast 3 sets of clothes a day.

Maybe English is the posters second language? Give people a break, geesh. At least he is teaching his son rather than ignoring the need of it.

LOL a Dutchman telling off someone for bad English! The pot calling the kettle black.

ritch, dresed, is playing(should be 'plays')

Oh the irony.

Paid 26.000 THB and 1600 for books and 2600 for uniforms. They called it English program, think it should been called Phillippine program.

Majority of english programs are a joke. Kids would be better using youtube to learn an hour a day.

I tried teaching Chemistry to upper level kids in an English program section of a school once.

The kids were coming in at M4 level but supposed to be tested for English ability before being allowed on the course. We did test in what was a pointless exercise , as they were allowed in anyway.

The levels of English were atrocious but the kids were allowed on the courses as the parents would have to pay more money, as no other school would have most of them, as their grades would have been low.

So it was a two choice option for the parents, pay more money, we know they cannot/ will not be fails , or take the kids out of school at M3 level, with little or no education to speak of and hanging around the house all day or doing worse if they're not in school.

Needless to say the classes became useless to teach as the kids just got bored listening to a teacher who they could largely not understand. This resulted in all the kids who could speak and understand English, also being distracted by kids fooling around in class.

Maybe English is the posters second language? Give people a break, geesh. At least he is teaching his son rather than ignoring the need of it.

I would say there is a big clue in the guy's name to be honest "DUTCHISAAN ", Kind of gives it away doesn't it? And his English is certainly more understandable than many of the Thai English teachers he is talking about . So there is a bonus for his kid straight away!!!

Well.....if they don't spend it on the kids education paraphernalia, they would spend it on booze instead, or if they can, they do both of course.

My wife and I don't drink at all so shut the **** up and take your racist views elsewhere.

Look at your username for Christ sakes.

The whole Thai educational system is a screw up.

And yet I have friends who went to state school and in to do their masters and earning 100K PM.

Agree the system is flawed in lots of places but many falangs seem to think their countries education is better.

Look at the UK, kids doing drugs Carrington knives no respect for their teachers a reducing police force and the softly softly approach by all governments , not saying this doesn't happen in Thailand.

At the end of the day it's all down to the kid if they want to better themselves they can.

I just shelled out 8000 baht for the son going to college

Interesting the secretary here on site just shelled out 40,000 Baht a semester each for two U studeent kids and one more coming down the Pike next year. 40,000 Baht is the monthly manager salary of her husband so down the rat hole the next two months salary, they'll have to make it on her skimpy secretary monthly salary for the next 3-months. Warned her about that was laying in wait for them a couple decades ago, her answer Mai Pin Rai. Well Mai Pin Rai is my answer to her now when complaining to me now. I have no sympathy with people who give me irresponsible answers when warned about disaster laying in waiting. After basic education I paid all my advanced (University 3-Ph.D) education my self by working fulltime starting at age 17 to earn money, not sitting on a lazy ass at 20 waiting for parents to shell out as the case is here in Thailand. Still wonder why there ls no hope for Thai people and the country??? LOL to them.

Edited by swerver

I live in Pattaya, the baby is 1 year old so what are the basic costs for education for a child and what age does it start ?

I have 4 children and the eldest is studying for a Master's in the UK. That alone costs me 13,000 GBP per year. University was about 500,000 a year in Bangkok. Secondary school was about 100,000 baht a year. Primary (Catholic private) was 25k a year. Kindergarden(aged 3-6) was 3000 a month. Nursery at 1 1/2 years old was 2000 a month.

Get out of Pattaya! Not a good place to raise a child.