Moving over to Thai time.

berybert

Before I came to live in Thailand I always used to be on time to meet friends when out and about. Same as when going to meetings.

I'd say it took me 6 or 7 months of living in Bangkok to move onto Thai time. First time I noticed it was when a friend came over on holiday. Every day we arranged to meet up at certain times, and not once was I on time.

What I noticed about myself was I always left the house expecting to get where we were due to meet a lot quicker than I ever did.

Not sure I will ever arrive on time again.

An elderly Jamaican chap who used to drink in one of my locals when I was at Uni in London was once bemoaning how 'young people' rushed everywhere these days. He said: 'In my country we have a saying "If you're late, walk slowly". I think that can be applied across the tropics.

OP, so you think it's acceptable to turn up whenever you please, expecting your friend to wait as long as is necessary because you failed to think about how long the journey might take?

Most people would regard this as self centered laziness and would rapidly disassociate themselves from you.

Blaming it on the fact that you're living in Thailand is frankly, ridiculous.

Edited by BaldPlumber

One thing I do of we are picking someone up is tell her to make sure they are ready. Anything above a 5 minute wait is not appreciated. We turned up and they take that as the cue to shower, then pack.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I'd say it took me 6 or 7 months of living in Bangkok to move onto Thai time.

And then again some might see the pace of life in Bangkok extremely fast. Especially if you're in rural Thailand, where time is much more relative and less of a resource.

Edited by Morakot

Tomorrow doesn't actually mean the next sunrise, it could be tomorrows tomorrow wink.png

Wife says last yesterday, meaning the day before yesterday.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I've noticed this is an Asian thing in general and not exclusive to Thailand. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me.

Except for Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and China. Japan is in Asia and they are fanatical about punctuality. Trains schedules run to the exact second. I wouldn't tar all Asian countries with the same brush.