Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

, all I can say is don't shoot the messenger your club has become a bit of a joke;

Runner up in the Carling Cup

Semi-finalists in the FA Cup

2nd in the Premiership

Runner up in the Champions league

So we're a joke, what does that make Arsenal,Liverpool,Man C, A. Villa, Bolton,Blackburn,Middlesborough,Wigan, Derby( ok they were a joke) Fulham,Birmingham, Newcasle, Sunderland,Spurs,Everton, Portsmouth,Reading. I guess then if you think that ALL THESE TEAMS ARE MERE JOKES, THEN THE PREMIERSHIP IS WORTHLESS. OH, TALKING OF JOKES, I FORGOT west ham ON THAT LIST.

I have checked results from all round the World, and just happen to find that Chelsea, along with Manchester United are are joint #1 in the whole world based on results last season. If you take the results of three seasons (which really is much fairer) you will find Chelsea way out on their own ( Barcelona are in 2nd place)

Wow, what a great joke

Edited by lampard10

2nd in the Premiership

So we're a joke, what does that make Arsenal,Liverpool,Man C, A. Villa, Bolton,Blackburn,Middlesborough,Wigan, Derby( ok they were a joke) Fulham,Birmingham, Newcasle, Sunderland,Spurs,Everton, Portsmouth,Reading. I guess then if you think that ALL THESE TEAMS ARE MERE JOKES, THEN THE PREMIERSHIP IS WORTHLESS. OH, TALKING OF JOKES, I FORGOT west ham ON THAT LIST.

I have checked results from all round the World, and just happen to find that Chelsea, along with Manchester United are are joint #1 in the whole world based on results last season. If you take the results of three seasons (which really is much fairer) you will find Chelsea way out on their own ( Barcelona are in 2nd place)

Wow, what a great joke

They just don't get it do they ?? :o

Hey Mr Lamapard10, my Dad is bigger than your Dad, trust me... :D

2nd in the Premiership

Wow, what a great joke

I'll let you decide that.......I never met mine

2nd in the Premiership

Wow, what a great joke

I'll let you decide that.......I never met mine

Sorry, i obviously didn't know so don't take it to heart..

Anyway, you're from Ramsgate, why do you support Chelsea ???

What's wrong with the Gills & having 10 Hessenthaler on the back of your Shirt instead of 10 Lumpalard???

[sorry, i obviously didn't know so don't take it to heart..

What's wrong with the Gills & having 10 Hessenthaler on the back of your Shirt instead of 10 Lumpalard???

No offence taken :o Actually I do support The Gills as well. Don't forget that's where Steve Bruce originated. And a lot of others. By the way, is that your name M. Singh? I think I might know you

No offence taken :D Actually I do support The Gills as well. Don't forget that's where Steve Bruce originated. And a lot of others. By the way, is that your name M. Singh? I think I might know you

:o If you are from Kent, everyone knows there is only one team worth supporting, and thats Charlton.

No offence taken :D Actually I do support The Gills as well. Don't forget that's where Steve Bruce originated. And a lot of others. By the way, is that your name M. Singh? I think I might know you

I'll have 20 Baht with you that you don't Mate but i am intrigued how you think you could ?? :o

:o If you are from Kent, everyone knows there is only one team worth supporting, and thats Charlton.

Good point Harry, certainly a better option than supporting the Millwally's... :D

I grew(or was dragged)up being able to watch 1960's Chelsea 'stars' from my bedroom window. Many players used to have 'digs' down my road and I met them all.

All long before Romans influences, so I hope you don't mind if I continue to support The Blues.

Dave

I'll have 20 Baht with you that you don't Mate but i am intrigued how you think you could ?? :o

Used to do a lot of shopping around Southall and I thought I recognised the name :D

Mourinho keen to renew old ties

New Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho feels the majority of his former players at Chelsea would want to link up with him again at the San Siro.

"It's normal that almost all of them want to work with me in the future - it's the same with me," Mourinho said.

Blues midfielder Frank Lampard and striker Didier Drogba have been linked with moves to the Serie A champions.

But Mourinho said any transfer dealings between the two clubs would depend "if Chelsea wants to sell".

Mourinho has signed a three-year deal with Inter and the 45-year-old succeeds Roberto Mancini, who was sacked after leading the club to a third consecutive Serie A title last season.

I have arrived to a special club and I believe I am a great coach but I don't want to be special

Jose Mourinho

Paraded at a news conference on Tuesday, the Portuguese said "one or two" new signings would be made in a bid to strengthen the squad for Champions League football, a competition which Mourinho has been drafted in to win.

England midfielder Lampard, 29, who has 12 months remaining on his current Chelsea contract, prospered under Mourinho while Drogba, 30, has made no secret of his desire to work with his old boss again.

"I want to start a cycle with the same team from last year, plus one, or two, maximum three new players," added Mourinho.

"The team will be more or less the same as last year, but I think differently to Roberto.

"This is far from being a criticism, because if Roberto were to go to Chelsea, things would change there. It's normal."

The Mourinho who presented himself to the Italian media appeared a more reserved version of the man who made such a spectacular entrance at Stamford Bridge.

At his unveiling in Milan, he said he was a "great coach" but insisted he no longer wanted to be special.

Mourinho, who gave himself the tag as the "Special One" during his first news conference at Chelsea, said: "I have arrived to a special club and I believe I am a great coach but I don't want to be special.

"I am Mourinho - period. I don't change. I'm the same person as before.

"I have always believed that I would like to work in Italy and at a great club.

"I want to thank (Inter president) Massimo Moratti and (sporting director) Marco Branca that have given me this opportunity."

A reported "falling out" with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich resulted in his Stamford Bridge exit last September.

But his new boss Moratti is also known to have a hands-on approach.

Will Mourinho be a success at Inter Milan? Mourinho still however gave a glimpse of the old self, saying: "For me this is a very important challenge but I believe that it could be very enjoyable also for you (the media)."

When asked how he had become fluent in Italian so quickly, he replied "I am very intelligent," adding that he had been learning the language since the club first approached him three months ago.

"I think the truth is important and the truth is that the first time Inter spoke to me was the day after they lost the second match against Liverpool (on March 11)," he said in almost flawless Italian.

"I started to learn Italian then, but it is easy - I only have problems with the temporal verbs, but the words come easy."

I grew(or was dragged)up being able to watch 1960's Chelsea 'stars' from my bedroom window. Many players used to have 'digs' down my road and I met them all.

All long before Romans influences, so I hope you don't mind if I continue to support The Blues.

I don't blame you for supporting Birmingham City mate. :o

I used to go to away games at Stamford Bridge in the 60's too. There were some great ones. At least your crowd was large, passionate and mostly working class. But what have you got now ? Plastic supporters, a manufactured atmosphere at best and a lot of the old and genuine supporters now going to lower or non-league clubs. I even talked to one steward there who told me that the only way that he could afford to go to matches was by working there. But maybe that's a trend repeated in lots of Clubs nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I was never a great lover of Chelsea even before you had your soul ripped out. But at least you earned a begruding respect, like your support when you where relegated to the old division two. As yobbish as some of them were.

When it's in your blood , it's in your blood you cant help that.

I've supported the Hammers since even before Bobby Moore, Trevor Brooking and Peters, etc. And believe me we've taken some sh*it dished up over the years as well. But if we ever became another Chelsea I could see me at least trying to distance myself and swopping alliegances to a lower league or non league Club. The West Ham I once loved and followed everywhere would effectively have ceased to exist. The Club means more than just trying winning trophies for obscenely rich investors to bank the money made made on my emotional investment and to be replaced by a load of middle-class mockney so called fans.

Blues agree Ancelotti deal

Sky Sports News understands Chelsea have agreed a deal with Carlo Ancelotti following talks with the Milan coach's representatives.

Chelsea are homing in on their new manager after sacking Avram Grant less than two weeks ago after just eight months in charge.

The Premier League runners-up are understood to have narrowed down their short list for the job to two names.

Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes, who is also interesting Manchester City, is one of the Blues' targets to replace Grant.

The other contender is an overseas coach and Chelsea have made a renewed attempt to prise Ancelotti away from the San Siro.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani revealed at the weekend that the club had turned down Chelsea's request to hold talks with Ancelotti.

However, Sky Sports News understands that the Blues have met with the Italian's representatives and agreed terms over taking charge at Stamford Bridge.

A deal with Milan is still to be reached and the concerted push to appoint Ancelotti looks likely to lead to Hughes joining City.

Sven Goran Eriksson, Frank Rijkaard, Guus Hiddink, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Roberto Mancini are among the names to have been linked with the Chelsea position, but it now appears owner Roman Abramovich has settled on Ancelotti.

So much for Breaking Sky News! :o

Ancelotti - I stay at Milan

Carlo Ancelotti says he is staying at Milan after Chelsea confirmed no one has been approached regarding the vacant manager's position.

Sky Sports News understands that the Premier League club had agreed terms with Ancelotti's advisors over a deal to replace Avram Grant at Stamford Bridge.

But, speaking to reporters outside Milan's club headquarters, Ancelotti confirmed he is not planning to leave the San Siro.

"There haven't been any contacts with Roman Abramovich's club," Ancelotti told the Italian media

"These rumours are the usual speculations that are repeated each year.

"I stay at Milan 150%"

Chelsea have also now confirmed that they are yet to make an approach to an individual, or another club, but are happy with the progress being made in the quest to appoint Grant's successor.

A club statement read: "Contrary to reports Chelsea Football Club has not reached agreement with any individual to become manager, nor have we sought permission from any organisation to talk to their manager.

"We are extremely happy with how our search is progressing."

A clutch of names have been linked with the Chelsea job since Grant was dismissed last month after failing to win a trophy during his eight months in charge.

Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes, who is in talks with Manchester City, has been mooted as a leading candidate for the role.

Former Internazionale coach Roberto Mancini, who has been succeeded at Giuseppe Meazza by ex-Blues boss Jose Mourinho, is another name in the frame.

Guus Hiddink, Frank Rijkaard, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Didier Deschamps and Sven Goran Eriksson are other managers to have been linked with the position.

Good point Harry, certainly a better option than supporting the Millwally's... :D

Hey, you know you can't swear on this forum, M*llwall is totally against the rules! ;-)

Essien rejects Inter talk

Michael Essien is not to be reunited with former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho at Internazionale, according to his agent.

The Portuguese tactician's appointment as Roberto Mancini's successor at the Italian giants has seen the rumour mill go into overdrive.

Inevitable talk of a Stamford Bridge raid has been manifest, with Essien, Ricardo Carvalho, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba, also a target of Milan, linked with possible moves to Inter.

Essien has proved to be one of Mourinho's most astute purchases of his tenure in West London, and has been mooted to be at the top of his former taskmaster's summer wish-list.

Chelsea would be loath to lose the powerful Ghanaian midfielder and have been boosted by a statement released by the player's agent, Fabien Piveteau.

Essien's existing contract is not due to expire until 2012 and Piveteau can see no reason why the player would move before that date.

"Michael is very happy at Chelsea and that is where he will be playing next season. His current contract runs until 2012. There has been no approach from Inter," Piveteau informed Chelsea's official website.

Essien rejects Inter talk

Michael Essien is not to be reunited with former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho at Internazionale, according to his agent.

The Portuguese tactician's appointment as Roberto Mancini's successor at the Italian giants has seen the rumour mill go into overdrive.

Inevitable talk of a Stamford Bridge raid has been manifest, with Essien, Ricardo Carvalho, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba, also a target of Milan, linked with possible moves to Inter.

Essien has proved to be one of Mourinho's most astute purchases of his tenure in West London, and has been mooted to be at the top of his former taskmaster's summer wish-list.

Chelsea would be loath to lose the powerful Ghanaian midfielder and have been boosted by a statement released by the player's agent, Fabien Piveteau.

Essien's existing contract is not due to expire until 2012 and Piveteau can see no reason why the player would move before that date.

"Michael is very happy at Chelsea and that is where he will be playing next season. His current contract runs until 2012. There has been no approach from Inter," Piveteau informed Chelsea's official website.

Of course he is happy: just as many other players are, with a contract until 2012. :o

Mutu to pay Blues £9.6m

Romania striker Adrian Mutu has been ordered by Fifa to pay €12 million to Chelsea for testing positive for cocaine in 2004, according to his lawyer.

Chelsea bought Mutu from Parma in 2003 for £15million and let him go in October 2004 after he tested positive for cocaine. He was suspended from all football for the next seven months.

The English Premier League also ruled that Mutu's misconduct was a unilateral breach of contract without just cause. In December 2005, an appeal filed by Mutu against the Premier League's decision was dismissed.

Fifa made the decision after the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled in May 2007 that the world football body would decide what fine Mutu should pay.

Chelsea had asked for £8million (€10 million) in compensation, a claim that was based on the transfer value of Mutu, but Fifa have now ruled Mutu must pay Chelsea €12million (£9.6million).

Mutu's lawyer, Cristian Sarbu, said the player would contest the fine in a civil court. Sarbu added that the decision was not final and Mutu would not pay any compensation until all legal avenues had been exhausted.

"People should understand that this is a decision taken by a sporting tribunal," Sarbu said. "After this is final, this decision can be taken to a civil court.

I'm becoming a bit fed up with this pursuit of Ancellotti.Is he THAT good and,more importantly,will he be able to hack it in the Premiership?Anybody would think he's the only decent manager available the way the clubs executives are scurrying back and forth across Eurpope.Judging by the number of players over 30 in his AC Milan squad( 19 out of 28),his football edict seems to be old is good,so we can look forward to a squad of geriatrics if he takes over.He might be able to get away with it in the leisurely pace of Serie A but,most certainly not in the Premiership.

I know he's won a couple of Champions Leagues with AC Milan and thats obviously his forte but,to get into that competition,you've got to qualify in your domestic league first.

I'm becoming a bit fed up with this pursuit of Ancellotti.Is he THAT good and,more importantly,will he be able to hack it in the Premiership?Anybody would think he's the only decent manager available the way the clubs executives are scurrying back and forth across Eurpope.Judging by the number of players over 30 in his AC Milan squad( 19 out of 28),his football edict seems to be old is good,so we can look forward to a squad of geriatrics if he takes over.He might be able to get away with it in the leisurely pace of Serie A but,most certainly not in the Premiership.

I know he's won a couple of Champions Leagues with AC Milan and thats obviously his forte but,to get into that competition,you've got to qualify in your domestic league first.

Well seeings as you can't seem to muster it at all, he might just be that good.. :o

Oldgit, a question to answer if you'd be so kind, do you miss the " old Chelsea " ??

I just find your post pretty confuing assuming that you are an old git ( no offence but you named youself it :D ) & many Chelsea old gits i speak to are pretty disheartened with the way the Club has gone & the " Clientele " it has attracted to it's Fanbase over the last 2/3 years ??

Well seeings as you can't seem to muster it at all, he might just be that good.. :o

Oldgit, a question to answer if you'd be so kind, do you miss the " old Chelsea " ??

I just find your post pretty confuing assuming that you are an old git ( no offence but you named youself it :D ) & many Chelsea old gits i speak to are pretty disheartened with the way the Club has gone & the " Clientele " it has attracted to it's Fanbase over the last 2/3 years ??

Oldgit by name,oldgit by nature :D

In answer to your question,2/3 years is a bit premature.In the 50's,I can remember my dad complaining about the"big time charlies" coming to the games."What's Diana Dors and Victor Mature doing here?They're not REAL supporters like us!"So,as far as Chelsea is concerned,nothing has changed.The bar keeps getting raised,thats all.

In the 60s and 70's,when I was going to the all the matches,the film and T.V.stars kept coming and the 'real' supporters kept complaining.They were violent times on the terraces but,according to my old man,the 40's and 50's were also violent except they bashed each other with rattles and cloth caps,not concrete blocks and cricket bats.

I stopped going to Chelsea,not because of the 'big time charlies' moving in but because of the sickening violence.

Then along came Rupert Murdoch with his millions and the Premiership became a global market.If you want to blame anyone for the present situation, blame him and the F.A. for brokering the deal.

Now we see that Q.P.R. have been bought by one of the richest men on the planet but do we hear any of their supporters wringing their hands and bleating about the good old days?No,because, in this day and age and like it or not,you need a rich benefactor to compete at the HIGHEST level.Isn't that what we all want for our respective clubs?

Oldgit by name,oldgit by nature :D

In answer to your question,2/3 years is a bit premature.In the 50's,I can remember my dad complaining about the"big time charlies" coming to the games."What's Diana Dors and Victor Mature doing here?They're not REAL supporters like us!"So,as far as Chelsea is concerned,nothing has changed.The bar keeps getting raised,thats all.

In the 60s and 70's,when I was going to the all the matches,the film and T.V.stars kept coming and the 'real' supporters kept complaining.They were violent times on the terraces but,according to my old man,the 40's and 50's were also violent except they bashed each other with rattles and cloth caps,not concrete blocks and cricket bats.

I stopped going to Chelsea,not because of the 'big time charlies' moving in but because of the sickening violence.

Then along came Rupert Murdoch with his millions and the Premiership became a global market.If you want to blame anyone for the present situation, blame him and the F.A. for brokering the deal.

Now we see that Q.P.R. have been bought by one of the richest men on the planet but do we hear any of their supporters wringing their hands and bleating about the good old days?No,because, in this day and age and like it or not,you need a rich benefactor to compete at the HIGHEST level.Isn't that what we all want for our respective clubs?

Appreciate you giving your time for answering Mate.. :D

Of course i'd like my Club ( West Ham ) to compete at the highest level but at the cost of losing the identitry & morals of the Club ??

No offence but maybe at Chels that's acceptable, it isn't for me though & i think i'd speak for the majority of ( Non " new generation " Supporters ) West Ham in saying it..For me personally & A LOT of West Ham i know, my best moment of last year was when a 17 year old came off the bench to score the winner against B'Burn, not beating Man Ure or Liverpool & i think that says a lot about the Club & mentality of our Supporters..

That's only my personal opinion though of course.. :D

Appreciate you giving your time for answering Mate.. :o

Of course i'd like my Club ( West Ham ) to compete at the highest level but at the cost of losing the identitry & morals of the Club ??

No offence but maybe at Chels that's acceptable, it isn't for me though & i think i'd speak for the majority of ( Non " new generation " Supporters ) West Ham in saying it..For me personally & A LOT of West Ham i know, my best moment of last year was when a 17 year old came off the bench to score the winner against B'Burn, not beating Man Ure or Liverpool & i think that says a lot about the Club & mentality of our Supporters..

That's only my personal opinion though of course.. :D

I do find it rather pathetic the whinging of all the so called supporters of other clubs that are jealeous of the way Chelsea have risen to fame. Every one of you out there would have done the same. If you want a new house built, you hire the best man to do the job, you don't train a builder yourself. If you want a top of the range car, you go out and buy one, you don't put a bit of tin in ground and hope one grows. It's the same the World over and has been since the beginning of time, if you want something, you go out and buy it. Of course I see your point though I would be the same, and was when United were flinging money around like it's gone out of fashion. The only team I didn't think were over the top were Blackburn when they " bought' the title. Don't worry though, as I said it's been going on for ever. Since in fact a caveman procured 7 buffalo hides, and bought 4 of the most gorgeous women in the village with them to come and live with him. Of course the other men were green with envy. And as I said to someone else, if you have seen the film ' Rise of the Footsoldier' it shows West Ham supporters to be the most violent,vile and murderous animals to inhabit the planet. Goodnight.

I do find it rather pathetic the whinging of all the so called supporters of other clubs that are jealeous of the way Chelsea have risen to fame. Every one of you out there would have done the same. If you want a new house built, you hire the best man to do the job, you don't train a builder yourself. If you want a top of the range car, you go out and buy one, you don't put a bit of tin in ground and hope one grows. It's the same the World over and has been since the beginning of time, if you want something, you go out and buy it. Of course I see your point though I would be the same, and was when United were flinging money around like it's gone out of fashion. The only team I didn't think were over the top were Blackburn when they " bought' the title. Don't worry though, as I said it's been going on for ever. Since in fact a caveman procured 7 buffalo hides, and bought 4 of the most gorgeous women in the village with them to come and live with him. Of course the other men were green with envy. And as I said to someone else, if you have seen the film ' Rise of the Footsoldier' it shows West Ham supporters to be the most violent,vile and murderous animals to inhabit the planet. Goodnight.

:o

Firstly, i'm not sure what part of " in my personal opinion " you didn't understand from my post ??

Secondly, the underlined bit in bold that i highlighted, please tell me you said that jokingly cos i'm not sure if you did or didn't as i failed to see a :D at the end of it ???

If you didn't, i'll start the guessing game off of guessing your age & i'll go for 14 at a push ??? :D

Good night to you too little Fella/Sweetheart, don't be late for School in the morning..

Scolari named as Chelsea manager

Chelsea have named Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager in succession to Avram Grant.

Scolari, who is currently in charge of the Portuguese side at Euro 2008, will take over at Stamford Bridge on 1 July.

"He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level," read a Chelsea statement.

Scolari won the 2002 World Cup with Brazil and led Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, and has also won nine domestic trophies in Brazil.

He becomes the fourth manager during owner Roman Abramovich's reign following the departures of Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho and Grant.

The latter only lasted eight months, despite guiding Chelsea to second place in the Premier League and to their first Champions League final last season.

AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti, new Manchester City boss Mark Hughes and former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini had been in the running for the job but the appointment ends weeks of speculation after Grant was sacked towards the end of May.

The Chelsea statement continued: "Scolari gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours. He was the outstanding choice.

"Out of respect for his current role and to ensure minimum disruption to this work there will be no further comment from Chelsea nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."

Scolari has long been the nemesis of English football as he was in charge of both Brazil and Portugal when they ended England's chances in the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 respectively.

His reputation led him to be considered for the England manager's job in 2006 but he was reportedly put off the role because of fears of media intrusion.

However, with his contract with the Portuguese Football Federation set to expire on 29 June - the date of the Euro 2008 final - he has taken the opportunity to try his hand at management in the Premier League.

The former defender has never managed a European club but has won the Copa Libertadores - South America's equivalent of the Champions League - with Brazilian clubs Gremio and Palmeiras.

He has also won a Brazilian championship (Gremio) in 1996, three Brazilian cups and three South Rio Grande championships.

LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI FACTFILE

1948: Born Passo Fundo, Rio Grande do Sul, November 9

2001: June - Replaces Emerson Leco as Brazil coach

2002: May/June - Brazil win the World Cup for a fifth time

2002: December - Takes over as Portugal manager

2004: Portugal lose to Greece in final of Euro 2004

2006: Pulls out of the running to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager

2006: Leads Portugal to World Cup semi-finals

2007: Linked with England job for a second time but again vows to see out Portugal contract

2008: June - Confirmed as new manager of Chelsea, taking over on 1 July

And former Chelsea player Gavin Peacock believes Scolari, known as 'Big Phil' because of his authoritarian management style, could be the man to take the Blues to the next level.

"You can't argue with his record," Peacock told BBC Sport. "If you're looking for someone with charisma and presence in the dressing room, then he is your man.

"His teams play with flair so it fits in with what Chelsea say they have been looking for but the everyday involvement, getting into the players' minds, will take time.

"I suspected he might be lined up when Chelsea signed Jose Bosingwa last month and there was talk of Deco coming to the club."

However, he warned that Scolari's lack of English could make things difficult for the Brazilian.

"My only question mark would be about his level of English. Does he speak it?" asked Peacock.

"Someone like the England manager Fabio Capello didn't speak it but he had time to learn and he has time between each England gathering but Scolari will need to get his ideas across every day. It will be a challenge.

"For example, Mourinho, on his first trip away with the team for a pre-season friendly in the United States, sat on the plane with Joe Cole for two hours just getting to know him. Scolari will not be able to do that sort of thing."

"Does he stay in England or go to Spain? I know what Scolari's advice to him might be now!"

Alan Hansen added: "I think its a very good choice. If you're going into that dressing room you've got to have one, a presence - he's got that and two, a great track record and he's got that as well.

"He's got the right credentials and he's done fantastically well with Portugal. The big players will find you out in a minute and a half, so it's a great choice."

Scolari's first competitive game as Chelsea manager will be the first Premier League match of the 2008-09 season on the weekend of 16-17 August.

Carvalho welcomes Big Phil

Ricardo Carvalho has backed Luiz Felipe Scolari to be a success in his new post as Chelsea manager.

The Portugal boss was named as the new Stamford Bridge chief on Wednesday, and will officially take charge of the Blues from 1st July.

Despite being widely accepted as one of the names in the frame to replace Avram Grant at the Premier League club, the timing of his appointment has come as a surprise as no decision was expected to be made until after Euro 2008.

The Brazilian's pedigree is beyond question, having led the country of his birth to World Cup glory in 2002 and guiding Portugal to the final of Euro 2004 and the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The Blues have pulled off a major coup by luring the experienced coach away from his current post, especially as England failed so spectacularly to do so in 2006.

Scolari will be hoping to sign off from Portugal with a Euro 2008 winners' medal, while one of his international stars that he will be getting reacquainted with at a domestic level this summer feels that Chelsea have recruited the ideal candidate to take the club forward.

"We were all shocked by the news," Carvalho said in the aftermath of Portugal's 3-1 victory over Czech Republic on Wednesday.

"We heard the rumours but didn't guess he would be going to Chelsea after the Euros.

"He is a great manager and a big personality. He's the kind of guy that players respond to and I think we can go forward with him."

Ballack 'forgives' Scolari

Michael Ballack has welcomed the appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari as Chelsea manager despite his memories of the 2002 World Cup final.

Scolari was in charge of Brazil when they defeated Germany in Japan, a game which Ballack sat out through suspension.

Ballack admits it was a painful experience but insists there can be no hard feelings towards Scolari as the experienced tactician prepares to take the reins at Stamford Bridge after Euro 2008.

The Germany midfielder has nothing but respect for Scolari and feels he should be able to lead the Blues to glory.

"Even though I didn't play, the World Cup final was one of the worst times of my career," Ballack recalled.

"But, of course, I forgive Scolari now he is my Chelsea manager.

"I don't know him yet apart from the odd 'hello', but he has done very well and he has all the credentials.

"He has won a lot of titles, was in the last European Championship final with Portugal and won the World Cup with Brazil, so he is very successful.

"He is definitely a man to be respected by all the players."

Germany appear likely to face Scolari's Portugal in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 after their surprise defeat to Croatia left them second in Group B.

However, Ballack is not looking too far ahead and is focusing solely on Germany's final group game against spirited co-hosts Austria.

Ballack accepts that Germany were totally outplayed by Croatia and has called on his team-mates to improve considerably.

He explained: "Now we have to think about the Austria game, which is difficult enough, and then we can think about maybe playing Portugal.

"The Austria game will be different to Croatia, but it will still be tricky.

"We were very disappointed with our performance (against Croatia) because we were not really in the game from the beginning.

"They were a little bit quicker in their minds and very compact in midfield, which meant we could not open the game and create chances."

Its a miracle...we have a new manager and nobody seems to want Drogba so he suddenly wants to stay a Chelsea player! :o

Drogba rules out Blues exit

Didier Drogba insists that he has no intention of heading for the Stamford Bridge exit this summer.

The powerful Chelsea forward has been strongly linked with Milan and their city rivals Internazionale, but has reiterated his desire to remain in England.

The former Marseille man has been with the Blues since 2004, establishing himself as one of Europe's deadliest front-men during his time in the Premier League.

He became unsettled in London following the shock departure of Jose Mourinho in September 2007, but appears to have rediscovered his passion for the Blues.

With his former mentor recently taking the hot-seat at Serie A giants Inter it had been rumoured that the Ivorian hit-man would welcome the opportunity to renew his partnership with the Portuguese coach.

However, Drogba has quashed the speculation by committing his future to his current employers.

"I have a contract with Chelsea until 2010, so I am still a Chelsea player," the striker told skysports.com during a promotional campaign for his autobiography back in Ivory Coast.

"Mourinho is my friend and I am happy for him because he was missing coaching.

"He is a top coach but, like I said, my contract here runs until 2010."

Drogba, who was sent-off late on during the UEFA Champions League final with Manchester United for slapping Nemanja Vidic, also spoke of his disappointment at ending the 2007/08 season empty-handed.

"I am really disappointed with myself (for getting sent-off)," he added.

"I lost my head completely and I let the team down. I should not have reacted in that way.

"I let myself down, the Chelsea fans, my homeland - but that is life.

"I have now lost three finals. One Uefa Cup (with Marseille), an African Nations Cup and now the Champions League, but that is football.

"Hopefully I will win the next one."

Carvalho welcomes Big Phil

Ricardo Carvalho has backed Luiz Felipe Scolari to be a success in his new post as Chelsea manager.

The Portugal boss was named as the new Stamford Bridge chief on Wednesday, and will officially take charge of the Blues from 1st July.

Despite being widely accepted as one of the names in the frame to replace Avram Grant at the Premier League club, the timing of his appointment has come as a surprise as no decision was expected to be made until after Euro 2008.

The Brazilian's pedigree is beyond question, having led the country of his birth to World Cup glory in 2002 and guiding Portugal to the final of Euro 2004 and the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The Blues have pulled off a major coup by luring the experienced coach away from his current post, especially as England failed so spectacularly to do so in 2006.

Scolari will be hoping to sign off from Portugal with a Euro 2008 winners' medal, while one of his international stars that he will be getting reacquainted with at a domestic level this summer feels that Chelsea have recruited the ideal candidate to take the club forward.

"We were all shocked by the news," Carvalho said in the aftermath of Portugal's 3-1 victory over Czech Republic on Wednesday.

"We heard the rumours but didn't guess he would be going to Chelsea after the Euros.

"He is a great manager and a big personality. He's the kind of guy that players respond to and I think we can go forward with him."

And then he goes on to say.......................... "CARVALHO QUESTIONS GRANT SACKING

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho has cast doubt on his future at Stamford Bridge by criticising the club's treatment of former boss Avram Grant...............

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/

Seems a pretty sure way to team up with his old boss!

Villa agree Sidwell fee

Aston Villa have agreed a £5.5million deal for Chelsea midfielder Steve Sidwell.

The former Reading star only moved to Stamford Bridge last summer on a free transfer, but he was unable to force a regular place in Chelsea's first XI.

And after only seven Premier League starts for the Blues, Sidwell has been offered a move to Villa Park.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to bolster his small squad as he attempts to build a side capable of a top-six Premier League finish next season.

But, Sidwell, 25, could also be viewed as a possible replacement for Villa captain Gareth Barry, who is a transfer target of Liverpool.