Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Oh brilliant...Barca just thrashed Madrid 6-2....Bring on Wednesday night! :)

Hiddink wary of mistakes

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink was careful not to overlook the errors that his side made during the 3-1 win over neighbours Fulham.

The Blues were in control of the game for long periods of time, but were exposed on several occasions as the Fulham attack succeeded in slipping in behind the home side's defensive line.

And with one of Europe's premier attacking teams set to visit Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, Hiddink admits that there is still work to do in all areas of the pitch.

"The win is okay, but I have to be very open and aware of the errors we have made in this game," the Dutchman told Sky Sports.

"Today we saw a rather attacking game and on the other hand we had some sloppy moments, not just in our defence but in our midfield and the attacking part as well.

"I cannot shut my eyes for some things I did not like. We must be more careful and not make these errors as we did today, if we do so then we will get punished."

Many eyebrows were raised at Hiddink's team selection against Fulham as only Michael Ballack was dropped to the bench.

However, the Chelsea boss insists that keeping up the pressure on the Liverpool in second place is just as important as preparing for Europe.

"If we can go into second place then we will be happy, so we don't give up in the league and we showed that today in the victory over Fulham," Hiddink remarked.

Meanwhile, the Blues boss took time to back his team's chances of victory against Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League semi-final - so long as the Stamford Bridge support gets behind his side.

He added: "They are a very high level team and we have to be very concentrated, but we have the confidence to it, and if we have the support of many people here in the stadium then we can make things come true."

Chelsea matched their resolute, dogged display in the week, with a show of beautiful football, seeing off Fulham at the Bridge 3-1. It should have been more. Drogba had a good goal disallowed, and an almost certain penalty denied. I get the feeling that if the goalie came at Drogba with a chain saw and chopped his legs off, the ref would wave play on.

Nicholas Anelka showed the crowd just why he is the Worlds costliest player with a performance so sublime, deft and full of magic, you might have though you were watching Lionel Messi. Although even Messi's not that good. Drogba was also on top form and the two strikers are a problem for any defence. Lampard started slow, but got better and better as the game progressed. In the end Chelsea were showing off their football skills to the adoring crowd. Let's have some more of this on wednesday.

Martin Knapp

Farang Connection.

2 great goals... Some awful decisions by the ref against both sides bookings, a sending off and Chelsea should of got a penalty. Chelsea had their chances but Barca kept going and to come back with 10 men surprised me.

Cruel game is football.

Wonder what will happen to Drogba and few other Chelsea players after their reaction to the ref at the end, thought they went over the line a bit.

2 great goals... Some awful decisions by the ref against both sides bookings, a sending off and Chelsea should of got a penalty. Chelsea had their chances but Barca kept going and to come back with 10 men surprised me.

Cruel game is football.

Wonder what will happen to Drogba and few other Chelsea players after their reaction to the ref at the end, thought they went over the line a bit.

Agree 100% with you Devil. As a Barca supporter, I am glad we won and kept going, even 7 minutes after full time, with 10 men, and the majority of possesion but chelsea were unlucky , should have had a penalty with Drogba first half and the hand ball second half with Pique. The scenes at the end were stupid and idiotic and he (Drogba) should be banned. we were unlucky with bookings as well

Let's have some more of this on wednesday.
Some awful decisions by the ref against both sides bookings, a sending off and Chelsea should of got a penalty

to lose like that must be very painful.

signed,

a leeds fan.

Let's have some more of this on wednesday.
Some awful decisions by the ref against both sides bookings, a sending off and Chelsea should of got a penalty

to lose like that must be very painful.

signed,

a leeds fan.

I also am a Leeds supporter from way bac, we know what it's like to lose, but hopefully we are on the road back!!!

Cruel game is football.

a bit? drogba shouting 'it's a disgrace' into a tv camera? he should perhaps take a look in a mirror.

sad thing is i can't see barca beating united minus three of their first choice defensive four.

lets hope so, but in the meantime , in a show of good spirit that has long characterised the generosity and sense of fair play of the leeds fan, lets have a group hug and say to all those chelsea fans as they sink into the chasm of despair and disappointment.

we feel your pain.

:):D:D

Amid the cries of " Conspiricy theory" Barcelona secured a place in the Champions League final. Barca just passed around in the center of the park for most of the game, with the decicive strike coming in the 93rd minute, and their only shot on target.

Well, what went wrong. Chelsea had all the chances, their defense was supurb. How did they lose?

The main reason was a man called Tom Henning Ovrebro,who must have been plucked from the anoniminity of the Lappland under 12's, ( 5th division), and placed in charge of a crucial match. He did his job well though, UEFA were over the moon with him. Imagine the implications of yet another all English final. It would have destroyed reputations, especially that of all the non English that run the show.

To refuse one or two penalties is normal these days, but seven, three of them absolute clear cut penalties, and the other four borderline, says it all. This man should never referee in anger again.

Sour grapes? Bad loser? Can't take defeat? Full of excuses?

Too bloody right. All of those.

Martin Knapp

Farang Connection

seven? give over lad. one of chelsea's claims last night was probably valid, as was the one on henry in the first leg. barcelona had 66% possession at stamford bridge last night and chelsea deserved to go through?

seven? give over lad. one of chelsea's claims last night was probably valid, as was the one on henry in the first leg. barcelona had 66% possession at stamford bridge last night and chelsea deserved to go through?

i agree, despite what many of us might think of Platini and crew, and what appears to be a poor night for the ref, calling them racist names doesn't change the result - only places you right alongside people like Drogba.

The ref was bent, UEFA had it rigged, blah, blah, blah.

Drogba has earned god knows how many points for Chelsea over the years with his cheating , so it's a bit rich of them to be moaning just because they get turned over.

Besides, most of those so-called penalties were close range 'ball-to-hand' affairs rather than deliberate hand ball so I reckon the ref was bang on.

The ref was bent, UEFA had it rigged, blah, blah, blah.

Drogba has earned god knows how many points for Chelsea over the years with his cheating , so it's a bit rich of them to be moaning just because they get turned over.

Besides, most of those so-called penalties were close range 'ball-to-hand' affairs rather than deliberate hand ball so I reckon the ref was bang on.

to quote half man half biscuit, 'h is for handball, which has to be intentional and very rarely is. if only people would study the rules more'.

i don’t accept that there were 4 clear cut penalty claims. utter nonsense. there was only one, the handball by pique. maybe the ref failed to spot it as he was directly behind him, the linesman definitely missed it big time. stop harping on about conspiracy to deny chelsea the final. the ref made bad decision all night long for both teams.

i remember clearly an incident after abidal was sent off for what you might call “a clear cut foul” on anelka…… messi was slaloming past few of your defenders and right at the edge of the penalty area he was tripped, clear cut free kick and a booking for a chelsea player, neither given.

there is no such thing as “deserve” in football. you play till the end and try to beat your opponents. statistics are there to just sugarcoat your victory and defeat to make you look good and emphasize your performance. chelsea were not better than barca on the night. both teams had their positives and negatives, pretty even imo.

for once drogba and co came up against solid players like pique, yaya, alves etc who stood up toe to toe and outmuscle them and all that chelsea forwards could do is to roll around hoping for a penalty. against 10 man barca you shud have killed the game off, but still pissed around defending and let messi and co come at you. whose fault is that?

getting emotional after a loss is understandable, see how lampard or terry reacted, but drogba was just obnoxious! no excuse !!!

chelsea fans and the team should stop blaming the referee and take note of their own discrepancies and improve and come back stronger next year. behaving as the few players did after the match only tarnishes the image of the club.

Amid the cries of " Conspiricy theory" Barcelona secured a place in the Champions League final. Barca just passed around in the center of the park for most of the game, with the decicive strike coming in the 93rd minute, and their only shot on target.

Well, what went wrong. Chelsea had all the chances, their defense was supurb. How did they lose?

The main reason was a man called Tom Henning Ovrebro,who must have been plucked from the anoniminity of the Lappland under 12's, ( 5th division), and placed in charge of a crucial match. He did his job well though, UEFA were over the moon with him. Imagine the implications of yet another all English final. It would have destroyed reputations, especially that of all the \non English that run the show.

To refuse one or two penalties is normal these days, but seven, three of them absolute clear cut penalties, and the other four borderline, says it all. This man should never referee in anger again.

Martin Knapp

Farang Connection

Nice....

i don't accept that there were 4 clear cut penalty claims. utter nonsense. there was only one, the handball by pique. maybe the ref failed to spot it as he was directly behind him, the linesman definitely missed it big time. stop harping on about conspiracy to deny chelsea the final. the ref made bad decision all night long for both teams.

i remember clearly an incident after abidal was sent off for what you might call "a clear cut foul" on anelka…… messi was slaloming past few of your defenders and right at the edge of the penalty area he was tripped, clear cut free kick and a booking for a chelsea player, neither given.

there is no such thing as "deserve" in football. you play till the end and try to beat your opponents. statistics are there to just sugarcoat your victory and defeat to make you look good and emphasize your performance. chelsea were not better than barca on the night. both teams had their positives and negatives, pretty even imo.

for once drogba and co came up against solid players like pique, yaya, alves etc who stood up toe to toe and outmuscle them and all that chelsea forwards could do is to roll around hoping for a penalty. against 10 man barca you shud have killed the game off, but still pissed around defending and let messi and co come at you. whose fault is that?

getting emotional after a loss is understandable, see how lampard or terry reacted, but drogba was just obnoxious! no excuse !!!

chelsea fans and the team should stop blaming the referee and take note of their own discrepancies and improve and come back stronger next year. behaving as the few players did after the match only tarnishes the image of the club.

Yep it was Bosingwa who done it & although Messi wasn't through on Goal, it was a more delibrate " clash of ankles " than the Abidal/Anelka one & a blatant Free Kick which, for Barcelona, is probably on a Par with a Penalty for them from that range.....

The main reason was a man called Tom Henning Ovrebro,who must have been plucked from the anoniminity of the Lappland under 12's, ( 5th division), and placed in charge of a crucial match. He did his job well though, UEFA were over the moon with him. Imagine the implications of yet another all English final. It would have destroyed reputations, especially that of all the non English that run the show.

Martin Knapp

Farang Connection

:)

Hammers fans went too far - Terry

Chelsea skipper John Terry believes a section of West Ham fans went too far with abuse aimed towards himself and team-mate Frank Lampard at Upton Park.

"Walking home with three points and them walking home with nothing, you can't buy that and they can't buy that," he said.

:)

post-55211-1241670592_thumb.jpg

The ref was dreadful and despite despising Chelsea thought they got the worst of the decisions, there was something about that ref that just made me want to slap him.

As for Barca have 66% of play Chelsea were by far the better team throughout the game apart from the last 10 minutes, every chance Chelsea (more often then not Drogba) seemed to get the ball was just that but in front of him or behind him, there would be some tiny little thing every time making it difficult to score.

But as a neutral i think it adds a little spice to the final having 2 teams from opposing countries playing.

As for Drogba and the German all that will happen is theyll get a ban and bad losers will be able to continue as they have done in the last 10-15 years or so.

John Terry lies, again, & shows that he hasn't got a classy bone in his body...

You can take the Boy out of Barking, but you can't take the Barkling out of the Boy... :)

Chelsea v Barcelona: Norwegian referee not the novice John Terry claims

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... laims.html

Tom Henning Ovrebo, the Norwegian referee who sparked huge controversy by denying Chelsea a series of penalty appeals against Barcelona, has become one of Uefa's most trusted officials since making his European debut in 2001.

And though Ovrebo clearly made serious mistakes - against both sides - at Stamford Bridge, John Terry's assertion about the referee's experience are inaccurate.

"Why did we get a referee who has officiated in 10 games in the Champions League in his career?" said Terry after angrily confronting Ovrebo. But in fact, last night's game was the official's 22nd in the Champions League.

He has also refereed at Euro 2008, and is on the list for next summer's Fifa World Cup. A pshychologist by profession, Uefa's website describes him as a "fan of motorcycling and boating".

Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp claimed Ovrebo's nationality meant he should not have been selected for such a high-profile match.

"How many big games has he reffed in Norway?" asked Redknapp. "I don't know why we can't have the best ref from Germany or Italy."

It is not unusual, however, for elite referees to come from countries with weaker domestic leagues.

Lubos Michel, from Slovakia, was in charge of last season's Champions League final, while Massimo Busacca, of Switzerland officiated in the semi-final second-leg between Barcelona and Chelsea.

Michael Ballack and Didier Drogba were both cautioned for berating Ovrebo on the pitch, but captain Terry defended the actions of his team-mates.

"We did exactly what we needed to do," Terry said. "Not one player made one mistake in the two legs. The referee has made big errors and now we're out. It's a big game with big players and he simply wasn't good enough.

"The word conspiracy is maybe the wrong one," he added. "It's difficult when players are so high on emotion after a game.

"However, people are saying we shouldn't have reacted the way we did.

"But the fact is, six decisions went against us in front of 40,000 people. And for the ref to not give one of them is unusual.

"So it's not surprising for us to come off the field and show that emotion."

Champions League games refereed by Tom Henning Ovrebo

Nantes 0 - 1 Galatasaray 26-09-2001

Feyenoord 0 - 0 Dynamo Kiev 01-10-2002

Arsenal 0 - 0 PSV Eindhoven 12-11-2002

Milan 0 - 1 FC Bruges 22-10-2003

Everton 1 - 2 Villarreal 09-08-2005

B Munich 1 - 0 FC Bruges 27-09-2005

Porto 0 - 0 CSKA Moscow 13-09-2006

Bordeaux 0 - 1 Liverpool 18-10-2006

Lille 2 - 2 Anderlecht 21-11-2006

PSV Eindhoven 1 - 0 Arsenal 20-02-2007

Lyon 0 - 3 Rangers 02-10-2007

Real Madrid 4 - 2 Olympiakos 24-10-2007

Milan 1 - 0 Celtic 04-12-2007

Inter 0 - 1 Liverpool 11-03-2008

Man Utd 1 - 0 Roma 09-04-2008

Standard Liege 0 - 0 Liverpool 13-08-2008

Atl Madrid 2 - 1 Marseille 01-10-2008

Celtic 1 - 1 Man Utd 05-11-2008

Inter 0 - 1 Panathinaikos 26-11-2008

Barcelona 5 - 2 Lyon 11-03-2009

Villarreal 1 - 1 Arsenal 07-04-2009

Chelsea 1 - 1 Barcelona 06-05-2009

Edited by MSingh

Ballack Hill.... :)

RE Redknapp, <deleted> Idiot, he said they needed a Ref from a better Country who had Ref's more CL Games ( that Ref had Ref'd 22 Game sin total ) & said " They should have had a Ref from Italy or Sp........well he couldn't have been from Spain but you know what i mean " !!!

Typical Redknapp, like Father like Son in the Brains department...

Laughed as Drogba was pointing in the face of the ref and couldn't be restrained, then he takes his ire out on the cameraman, clearly heard him say "fuc_k you, man," (please don't censor as I saw it live on broadcast TV and we are all adults, here) to the camera, as he didn't want his antics on TV???? Uh, Drogba, you're on the pitch and you're a football player and you're throwing an entertaining hissy fit, and you expect there to be no cameras? I wonder what his punishment will be? I also thought Ballack was going to bodyslam the ref. :)

As for the penalty shouts, I do think Pique's was hand to ball, and should have been a penalty. The ball was moving slow and he had plenty of time to move his arm. Eto's would have been harsh, as he was so close to Ballack and the ball moving at such pace and his back turned, but I could have seen it given as why was his arm up there, anyway? But 7 clear penalties? Not in a million years, you never see most of those shouts in the first half given in the Premier League. I thought he was right to give none in the first half as they would have been weak penalties, and you can't have that in a game of this magnitude. I'll give Chelsea one, though, and they should feel hard done by. But what can they do? Instead of taking it out on the referee, which Terry and co. love to do, why not take it out on themselves for failing to score more? Valdes had three miracle saves, so, sorry, you were just unlucky Chelsea.

And those blaming the ref, what about the red card to Abidal? Utter nonsense. Even if he did touch him, which I didn't see, wasn't intentional in the least.

So, I think Chelsea were hard done by, yes, but as a neutral am glad not to see the same exact final as last year, and glad not to see two English teams in the final, we can see that in the FA Cup. Would have been too boring for me to have Chelsea vs. Man U in the final again.

Where Barcalona had the flair,the skill & most of the possession, Chelsea won on tactics. Wave after wave of Blue & Red shirts amassed on the Yellow's defense, but just like The Enterprise, their sheilds were up. On the few occasions when they faltered there was James T.Kirk, aka Petr Cech to save the day. Chelsea were hard as nails, but mostly fair. Dogged in their approach, but full of heart. They could even have gone in at half time one goal to the good. When they finally got the ball after 40 minutes, a lazy back pass let Drogba in. He could have placed his shot or gone for power. He went for power , and brought a fine save. It rebounded back to him. Same again, and once more he tried the wrong option. A deft flick over Valdes, but somehow the keeper got his hand to it.

0-0 at half time. What would the second half bring? The second half Chelsea saw more of the ball. But not much more. Again, not a lot got passed the yellow defences. Again Cech was there when it did. Terry & Alex were immense, and grew in stature as the game went on. Bosinger did his job, albeit sometimes clumsily. Guus was coming out on top. He'd fooled everybody. Bojan and ex-Aresenal player Hleb both had good chances late on. Still it ended 0-0

The Bridge next week. See you there.

Martin Knapp.

Farang Connection.

Is this a good result for Chelsea ? I am in 2 minds. Chelsea's previously wonderful home record is just a memory and there lack of creativity to put themselves in scoring positions could open the door for Barca.One goal for them could be enough. Barcelonas biggest problem could be suspension of their captain and injuries,There doesnt seem to be too much on the bench.I would humbly suggest Chelsea trade a couple of old heads in the summer and buy some wingers the attack seems very ponderous and predictable.

As I said last week some people were estatic over Chelseas defensive performance in the first leg. For me it was a huge gamble by Hiddink to think that over 3 hours of football Barcelona could not score. This season , albeit against weaker opposition, Barcelona have proved time and time again they have the firepower.

Over the 2 legs they dominated possession even when they were down to 10 men it made no difference. Chelsea scoring first also made no difference in fact it led them to believe they had done enough. There is a huge lack of creativity in the Chelsea set up which they will have to address. Ballack is great at passing the ball sideways and a making a nuiscance of himself. But you can count on one hand the number of telling passes that split the opposition. The Barcelona back four was the weakest they have fielded all season but apart from Essiens blinder all other attempts were counter attacks which came to nothing.Hiddink has to take a share of the blame and one thing we can be sure of Roman is not a happy chappy right now.

I'm surprised to see people saying that a 0-0 away was a good result in the first leg..

For startes i'd be amazed if Barca don't score in the 2 Games ( imagine the odds for it & the Bookies don't normally get things wrong ) & if they do score, the pressure is SO on Chelsea as they have to score 2, even if they've already scored 1, within the 90 mins & if they do have to gamble & leave gaps, you will get punished & we'll be on to Man United V Barca in Rome..

Barca favourites for me..

COME ON BARCA.. :)

:D

Chelsea were robbed last night...........................................................................

.................................................................................

.................. but John Terry's mum said she had nothing to do with it. :D

just tried to find Chelsea on the SatNav....

...it said two minutes from Rome :)

Chelsea were robbed last night...........................................................................

................................................................................

.................. but John Terry's mum said she had nothing to do with it. :D

:):D:D

I noptice a certain Mr Seapok has been hovering Online in the last 5 mins but hasn't showed up on the thread yet !! :D

Come on Brother, you know we love you really, be brave, make an appearance, sh*t happens... :D