Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Chelsea main rivals - Giggs

Ryan Giggs believes Chelsea pose the biggest title threat to Manchester United, not Manchester City.

The huge spending by billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour has propelled City into the title race, after years in the shadow of their near neighbours.

The Red Devils are only above their city rivals at the summit of the Premier League on goal difference after a flying start to the season by both teams.

However, while Giggs acknowledges City have some world-class stars, he feels Chelsea represent the biggest challenge as a team.

"It is strange to see Manchester City, especially if you think about the last 20 years where Manchester United have won numerous trophies," said the 37-year-old.

"But the situation has changed. They have plenty of money so they have some outstanding players. But I think Chelsea are more dangerous as a team."

Welshman Giggs also stated his belief that the club are capable of beating their Champions League tormentors Barcelona, while admitting he would like to stay in the game when he does eventually retire.

"I don't think Barcelona are unbeatable," added Giggs.

"They have a really strong team but it's not impossible to beat them. But I don't argue that Barcelona are the best team in the world at the moment. It is a challenge for us to reach their level.

"My next aim? To win the next game and then the following one. That's all. I don't like too far targets.

"I'm sure I'll stay in football [after retiring] because this has been my world since I was 15 years old. I enjoy football as much as I enjoyed it 15 or 20 years ago."

You just keep on dreaming mate....rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Lets just hope he doesn't bang a few goals in to prove a point! :-)

De Bruyne still keen on Blues

Genk ace Kevin de Bruyne will be out to impress against Chelsea on Wednesday night after seeing a move to Stamford Bridge fall through in the summer.

The 20-year-old winger was poised to follow former team-mate Thibaut Courtois to West London until Genk reportedly refused the Blues' offer in August.

De Bruyne admits it is still a sore point that the deal collapsed but will not let that distract him when he visits Chelsea with the Belgian side in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

He told The Sun: "I was disappointed when the move never happened. I thought there was a deal in place but I still had four years left on my contract and Genk wanted too much money for me.

"Still, maybe next year I can progress to Chelsea or another team. "I don't feel I have to prove everything in this one game. Chelsea will look at me 20 or maybe 30 times.

"But I do find it annoying that everyone in Belgium is watching me.

"At Genk I'll become maybe 10 per cent better this year. But Romelu Lukaku (left), my Belgium team-mate, will improve 30 per cent just by training at Chelsea."

De Bruyne, who has relatives in England, will be supported by his family at Stamford Bridge as Genk look to upset Chelsea's Champions League aspirations.

"There are a dozen family members and 10 friends coming to watch this game," he added.

"I come to England all the time and spend every Christmas with my mother's family in Ealing. It's like my second home.

"My grandfather has been to see me play in Genk but, for the rest of my English family, this will be the first time they will have seen me play."

AVB praises 'focused' win

Chelsea boss Andre Villa-Boas was delighted with his team's 'focused' approach in their 5-0 Champions League win over Genk.

Although Chelsea were expected to win they romped home in style, going two goals up in the space of 11 minutes before grabbing two more before the break.

Salomon Kalou rounded off a perfect evening late in the second half but for Villas-Boas it was the professional way his side opened the game that was crucial.

"I think it was a very, very good display by the team, very focused as we spoke before and this is decisive when you play a game like this," the 34-year-old told Sky Sports.

"We felt confident from the beginning but we needed to stay focused and get the result straight away and this happened in the first 25 minutes.

"This gave us a bit more stability and eventually we managed to play good football to bring a good result.

"They kept going through the first half fantastically well, keeping the rhythm high.

"It was a good result and puts us in a good position going into the Genk game away. If we get 10 points it will be very, very good."

Spain striker Torres scored his first Champions League goals for Chelsea and showed signs of looking back to his best.

The striker could have grabbed a hat-trick in the second half, but Villas-Boas stressed that he was more concerned with the team rather than individuals.

"This isn't about individual objectives but team objectives and the most important thing was to win" added Villas-Boas.

"Every player wants to play when he is out for a long period, it was important for him [Torres] to play for the Spain national team so he has been keeping his form well and he eventually returned to the team today and got into goal scoring positions."

Sendings off justified. Drogba lucky not to have a broken bone on his conscience. Late penalty for Chelsea - should have been given.

I've noticed that Sky commentators seem be giving the refs downers for trying to stop all the pushing and pulling in the box. I'm not sure where they want to draw the line - its supposed to be football, not rugby. Try writing a rule to accommodate more physical contact. Shoulder to shoulder in the vicinity of the ball ok/pushing pulling tugging not ok; simple.

Sendings off justified. Drogba lucky not to have a broken bone on his conscience. Late penalty for Chelsea - should have been given.

I've noticed that Sky commentators seem be giving the refs downers for trying to stop all the pushing and pulling in the box. I'm not sure where they want to draw the line - its supposed to be football, not rugby. Try writing a rule to accommodate more physical contact. Shoulder to shoulder in the vicinity of the ball ok/pushing pulling tugging not ok; simple.

I thought we played well and dominated the second half considering, it seems like a bit of the old Mourinho siege mentality is kicking in again, I'm looking forward to the home game against QPR already, might even have to get a ticket for that one :D

Great result for us last night, very determined and committed performance :D

AVB hails Blues' desire

Andre Villas-Boas was full of praise for his largely second-string Chelsea side after they progressed at Everton's expensive in the Carling Cup.

The Blues squandered the chance to open the scoring from the penalty spot when Nicolas Anelka fired wide only for Salomon Kalou to break the deadlock.

Chelsea then had Ross Turnbull dismissed, however, Petr Cech saved Leighton Baines' resulting spot-kick to retain their advantage.

Louis Saha levelled matters before the full-time whistle, but Chelsea clinched the hard-fought win in extra-time when Daniel Sturridge pounced after Royston Drenthe was sent off.

Villas-Boas knew it would be a hard game as Everton were a side in form and the Portuguese tactician could not fault his side's commitment and desire.

"We went down to 10 men, unfortunately, once again and made things even more difficult but we were able to triumph in difficulty and these are good signs for us," commented Villas-Boas.

"We got one of the most difficult draws, Everton away with one of their strongest sides.

"They showed they wanted to go through this phase but we were able, not only to play good football, but show good commitment and desire.

"Everton had the desire and motivation, they were on top and we had to hold on until extra time arrived.

"What satisfies more is the talent came out in this situation and when the numbers got even they found better spaces and we got the goal we wanted."

Great result for us last night, very determined and committed performance :D

AVB hails Blues' desire

Andre Villas-Boas was full of praise for his largely second-string Chelsea side after they progressed ......

....... Nicolas Anelka fired wide ........however, Petr Cech saved Leighton Baines' resulting spot-kick ...... when Daniel Sturridge pounced

hardly largely second string?

Chelsea lose Bridge battle

Chelsea have failed with their bid to buy back the freehold of Stamford Bridge.

The Chelsea Pitch Owners, who own the freehold and naming rights to Stamford Bridge, voted in favour to accept the club's offer for their shares.

But only 61.6 voted in favour, and the club needed 75 per cent to push through a deal which would have seen them regain control of the freehold which was secured by the CPO in 1997.

The club confirmed that they had failed with their bid and they were naturally disappointed, insisting the result could 'hinder' the club's progress.

A Chelsea statement read: "At today's (Thursday's) general meeting of Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO), 61.6 per cent of votes cast on Chelsea Football Club's proposals to buy the freehold land on which the Stamford Bridge stadium sits were for the proposal.

"However as 75 per cent of votes were needed, the proposals fail to pass. Chelsea FC is naturally disappointed with the result. A large number of fans supported our proposals but it was always going to be difficult when we had to have a 75 per cent majority of voting shareholders accepting them.

"We approached this process with transparency and the will to do what is best for Chelsea Football Club and while we will remain as ambitious as ever, this decision could slow down our progress.

"Despite the vote, the facts remain that the current structure could hinder the club."

Chelsea want the freehold back in order to help finance their move to a new purpose-built stadium.

Chelsea Cup win for John Terry - Andre Villas-Boas

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has dedicated the club's Carling Cup win over Everton to captain John Terry.

Terry, who was not in the squad for the 2-1 extra-time victory, faces a Football Association investigation into allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand in Sunday's defeat at QPR.

"I think all the players would like to dedicate it to John Terry," he said. Meanwhile, QPR have denied reports Paddy Kenny, Clint Hill and Shaun Derry have been called to give evidence.

Terry has referred to the incident with Ferdinand as a "misunderstanding".

Some viewers claimed video replays from Sunday's match between the sides showed Terry using racist language in the 1-0 defeat, while the FA says it has received a complaint.

The Metropolitan Police has also announced it is assessing evidence from the incident after receiving a complaint.

But in a statement, the 30-year-old said his accusers "have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying".

"I would never say such a thing - and I'm saddened that people would think so," he added.

England captain Terry, who said he welcomed the FA investigation believing it would clear his name, sat out the match against Everton as a booking would have ruled him out Saturday's Premier League clash with Arsenal.

In his absence, Daniel Sturridge's injury time winner ensured Chelsea's passage to the quarter-finals after Everton's Louis Saha had equalised after Salomon Kalou's opener.

After the game, Villas-Boas would not answer questions about the allegations for fear it could prejudice the FA investigation.

On Tuesday, the Portuguese gave his backing to Terry and declared the matter to be closed.

The FA has no plans to suspend Terry as England captain pending the outcome of their inquiry.

Chelsea lose Bridge battle

Chelsea have failed with their bid to buy back the freehold of Stamford Bridge.

The Chelsea Pitch Owners, who own the freehold and naming rights to Stamford Bridge, voted in favour to accept the club's offer for their shares.

But only 61.6 voted in favour, and the club needed 75 per cent to push through a deal which would have seen them regain control of the freehold which was secured by the CPO in 1997.

The club confirmed that they had failed with their bid and they were naturally disappointed, insisting the result could 'hinder' the club's progress.

A Chelsea statement read: "At today's (Thursday's) general meeting of Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO), 61.6 per cent of votes cast on Chelsea Football Club's proposals to buy the freehold land on which the Stamford Bridge stadium sits were for the proposal.

"However as 75 per cent of votes were needed, the proposals fail to pass. Chelsea FC is naturally disappointed with the result. A large number of fans supported our proposals but it was always going to be difficult when we had to have a 75 per cent majority of voting shareholders accepting them.

"We approached this process with transparency and the will to do what is best for Chelsea Football Club and while we will remain as ambitious as ever, this decision could slow down our progress.

"Despite the vote, the facts remain that the current structure could hinder the club."

Chelsea want the freehold back in order to help finance their move to a new purpose-built stadium.

That's a victory for your small rabble so I'll raise a toast....I suppose you are football fans after all. Just this once mind.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has dedicated the club's Carling Cup win over Everton to captain John Terry.

Terry, who was not in the squad for the 2-1 extra-time victory, faces a Football Association investigation into allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand in Sunday's defeat at QPR.

"I think all the players would like to dedicate it to John Terry," he said. Meanwhile, QPR have denied reports Paddy Kenny, Clint Hill and Shaun Derry have been called to give evidence.

Some viewers claimed video replays from Sunday's match between the sides showed Terry using racist language in the 1-0 defeat, while the FA says it has received a complaint.

The Metropolitan Police has also announced it is assessing evidence from the incident after receiving a complaint.

But in a statement, the 30-year-old said his accusers "have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying".

"I would never say such a thing - and I'm saddened that people would think so," he added.

England captain Terry, who said he welcomed the FA investigation believing it would clear his name, sat out the match against Everton as a booking would have ruled him out Saturday's Premier League clash with Arsenal.

In his absence, Daniel Sturridge's injury time winner ensured Chelsea's passage to the quarter-finals after Everton's Louis Saha had equalised after Salomon Kalou's opener.

After the game, Villas-Boas would not answer questions about the allegations for fear it could prejudice the FA investigation.

On Tuesday, the Portuguese gave his backing to Terry and declared the matter to be closed.

The FA has no plans to suspend Terry as England captain pending the outcome of their inquiry.

Yet in almost the same breath you remind me of this......he'll be hung out to dry this time I reckon.....bah.gif

Villas Boas might be a talented coach but he's not much of a judge of character is he.

So have any of the football threads been able to print what words the lip readers have attributed to him?

I see that the Beeb reports that the Chelsea ground owners ( a group of fans) have blocked the proposal to sell Stamford Bridge to the club so it can be redeveloped - presu,me that menas sold and relocation to big new stadium. Have sympathies with fans wanting to stay in the same historic location but they can hardly moan if Chelsea drop down a notch with the reduced revenues that will imply long-term.

So have any of the football threads been able to print what words the lip readers have attributed to him?

I see that the Beeb reports that the Chelsea ground owners ( a group of fans) have blocked the proposal to sell Stamford Bridge to the club so it can be redeveloped - presu,me that menas sold and relocation to big new stadium. Have sympathies with fans wanting to stay in the same historic location but they can hardly moan if Chelsea drop down a notch with the reduced revenues that will imply long-term.

I saw the clip when it first appeared, you can clearly see JT saying....."oi Anton, I didn't call you a black c**t, you f*cking knohead"

As far as the relocation goes, as much as I would love to stay at Stamford Bridge but we need a bigger stadium and what will all the legalities surrounding the Bridge its not possible, Earls Court for me please.

I saw the clip when it first appeared, you can clearly see JT saying....."oi Anton, I didn't call you a black c**t, you f*cking knohead"

As far as the relocation goes, as much as I would love to stay at Stamford Bridge but we need a bigger stadium and what will all the legalities surrounding the Bridge its not possible, Earls Court for me please.

Seapok, your ground is already too big for you. New ground talk must be for better facilities because stamford bridge is a dump as well you know. The other reason might be to improve rail links for your fanbase around croydon and the surrey area.

'Bout the same level as we get on these football threads then. Nothing to write home about. Wonder how many times Bale has been called a Welsh <deleted> on the pitch - just as racialist but nobody would be calling up PC plod. It's about time some media editors stood up for common sense instead of inciting sensationalism to sell attention - they are the real fuc_kers in the piece.

'Bout the same level as we get on these football threads then. Nothing to write home about. Wonder how many times Bale has been called a Welsh <deleted> on the pitch - just as racialist but nobody would be calling up PC plod. It's about time some media editors stood up for common sense instead of inciting sensationalism to sell attention - they are the real fuc_kers in the piece.

What a pair of apologists. I played a lot of football in my time but never resorted to racist abuse on or off the pitch. You'd think someone being paid over £100k a week would have more sense too.

OK so you had high personal standards in that regard and Terry has low personal standards. I just don't think what he seems to have done qualifies for criminal or civil retribution and I think he is unfairly witch-hunted by the media. I could see the problem with him shagging the estranged wife of an ex-colleague, given they would have to play on the same team - but even that didn't justify the maniacal over-reaction.

I don't require national stars to have higher standards than me. I don't personally shout references to racial abuse (it's not clear he actually shouted racial abuse), I don't shag wives of people I've worked with and I don't run bars where working girls ply their trade as some expats do here, but I have done stuff that is not that far off on the moral plane and I don't heap shit on those who do.

Edited by SantiSuk

OK so you had high personal standards in that regard and Terry has low personal standards. I just don't think what he seems to have done qualifies for criminal or civil retribution and I think he is unfairly witch-hunted by the media. I could see the problem with him shagging the estranged wife of an ex-colleague, given they would have to play on the same team - but even that didn't justify the maniacal over-reaction.

I don't require national stars to have higher standards than me. I don't personally shout references to racial abuse (it's not clear he actually shouted racial abuse), I don't shag wives of people I've worked with and I don't run bars where working girls ply their trade as some expats do here, but I have done stuff that is not that far off on the moral plane and I don't heap shit on those who do.

We've all done things we shouldn't have Santisuk but I made a point to make sure the cameras weren't watching...rolleyes.gif

He is a muppet at best and deserves what is coming....and it seems the evidence has already been submitted. I'm looking forward to the mess over in the three lions camp....biggrin.gif

He is not fitting to be the captain of a national side. He's a repulsive individual.

btw, you also forgot that he was taking cash payouts for ground visits....

What a shambles that was, new keeper and back 4 please!! :angry:

RVP inspires amazing win

Robin van Persie scored a hat-trick as Arsenal twice came from behind to overcome Chelsea 5-3 in an incredible Premier League match at Stamford Bridge.

Both sides were carved open with alarming regularity in a display of defending that will have infuriated their managers, but the almost reckless commitment to attacking football made for an extraordinary spectacle.

The Blues drew first blood when Frank Lampard nodded in Juan Mata's right-wing cross, before Van Persie tapped in an equaliser following great work by Aaron Ramsey and Gervinho.

John Terry restored Chelsea's lead as Arsenal failed abjectly to deal with a corner on the stroke of half-time, but the game was turned on its head after the break as goals from Andre Santos and Theo Walcott put the visitors in front for the first time.

Mata's stunning strike made it 3-3 with ten minutes remaining but Van Persie capitalised on a Terry slip to round Petr Cech and give the Gunners the lead once more.

The Dutchman completed his treble following a fast counter-attack in stoppage time to seal a remarkable derby victory.

Terry was under the spotlight at the start of the match after a week in which he has had to deny allegations that he racially abused Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.

An investigation is under way and fan reaction was predictable in the first few minutes, but both sets of supporters were soon transfixed by a feast of attacking football.

After Ashley Cole twice got in behind the visitors' defence, Chelsea really should have scored when three of their players beat the Gunners' offside trap but Daniel Sturridgesomehow sent his cross straight at Wojciech Szczesny.

The home side also looked vulnerable and Gervinho somehow scuffed a tap-in wide after Walcott surged past Cole. The Arsenal winger also picked out captain Van Persie, who volleyed over.

It was the Arsenal defence which buckled first after 14 minutes, the outstanding Mata teasing Van Persie and swinging in a right-wing cross which the unmarked Lampard stooped to head home.

Van Persie was robbed after again getting in behind before the goalmouth action finally relented until the 29th minute, when Lampard's flighted ball put Sturridge clean through but the forward got his left-footed finish all wrong.

And Arsenal made him pay seven minutes later when they equalised with the kind of goal they are all too often accused of trying to score.

Ramsey picked out Gervinho's brilliant run and the Ivory Coast striker drew Cech and squared for Van Persie to slot into an empty net.

Sturridge thought he had put Chelsea back in front four minutes before the break but he was rightly ruled offside poking home Ramires' cross.

But they were gifted the lead on the stroke of half-time through Terry, of all people, who got in front of Per Mertesacker to cushion Lampard's corner in off the post right in front of the Arsenal fans.

Incredibly, the tables turned within 10 minutes of the restart as Arsenal scored twice to take the lead and Szczesny avoided what looked a certain red card.

Van Persie and Ramsey both missed chances to level inside a minute but Santos did manage to score three minutes later when his superb first touch onto Gervinho's ball gave him time to send a strike through Cech's legs and into the net.

Chelsea immediately went on the attack and Szczesny received a yellow card after he came rushing out of goal and tripped Cole on the edge of the box.

Szczesny rubbed salt into the wound by tipping Lampard's resulting free-kick wide before Arsenal scored again, Walcott bundling his way through the home defence and lashing the ball past Cech at the near post.

Both sides made a raft of changes as the end-to-end action continued, with Ramsey missing another good chance for the visitors who were looking the more dangerous.

Terry was forced to act as peacemaker after a clash between Van Persie and Branislav Ivanovic, both of whom were booked.

And there was a grandstand finish thanks to a wonderful strike from Mata, who let fly from 25 yards to beat the despairing Szczesny.

But like the first half, the second ended up being decided by Terry, who slipped chasing substitute Florent Malouda's backpass, leaving Van Persie to race clear, round Cech and make it 4-3.

Mata twice saw efforts blocked as Chelsea tried to level before Van Persie hit them on the break again by blasting left-footed past Cech.