Sending family members to learn proper home building procedures in Buriram

kamalabob2

I try to help out my wife's family with various home building projects in Buriram. The skill set in home building practices and knowledge of some modern building materials is not always what I desire. However my wife is driving four family members to a FREE all day training seminar, all in Thai language, this Thursday May 19 at the shop I have purchased water pumps and water tanks. It is the same shop I bought Diamond Brand roof tiles for an economical village home near Khaeng Dong. My wife was able to convince her Brother and nephew this building trades training day was worthwhile as it includes a free lunch, free beverages, free shirt, and a certificate if they complete the course. I believe other expats might have relatives or favorite local Buriram or Surin home builders who would gain from attending a free training day taught by four experienced journeymen trainers of Diamond Building Products. The store Ruangsangthai does NOT need an advance reservation and attendees do not need advance tickets, as the store Ruangsangthai Ltd has a large indoor area the classes will be held on this Thursday. The owner of the shop showed me a web site with more information on the free home building seminar. Mr. Pichai stressed that how to build with ultra truss for a roof, how to properly install various styles of roof tiles, insulation, autoclaved wall blocks, door lintels, window installation would all be taught in Thai to the Thai building construction workers who attend.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/buriram-home-building-construction-training-day-tickets-25314425127?aff=eac2

Another farang trying to save his wife's male family member

Op, wake up, do you honestly think the are interested in learning anything other than how to drink moe & work never?

Seriously, concentrate on your own life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One day seminar, LOL.

When I was leaving school, guys emabarked on a 4 year apprenticeship for trades such as electrician, plumber, joiner, brickie etc etc.

The same guys went on day release to get qualifications such as C&G and Advanced C&G.

From what I see in Bkk, most labourers these days tend to be from Burma, Loas or Cambodia, they are quite happy to work for 500 baht per day, the Thais all seem to want 1,000.

rgs2001uk: I will be sure to have that sensible request translated by my wife. I can not speak of the home builders in Bangkok, yet several relatives of my wife are gainfully employed on a village house not far from Khaeng Dong that Thai citizens are building. It was translated to me that building contractor of that home building project is also sending workers to this seminar to gain more house building training in Buriram. Village labor did not install the water pumps in this Buriram Village Home. The wall blocks are Diamond Building Products autoclaved Blocks.

Rocketboybkk: Your comment is spot on regarding my younger Brother in California who has not worked in twenty years, yet drinks to excess every day. Not every Thai relative has a strong work ethic, yet it seems worth the effort to see selected relatives obtain more training in the building trades when a legitimate opportunity has risen in Buriram. In my personal experience with plumbers in Buriram there is a huge gap in the skill set and level of responsibility. This village home seems to have hired the right firm to install central hot water, have proper water pressure and use proper pipes and valves. It might not be to your standards, but it is a step up from the norm in Buriram.

post-20604-0-55424200-1463418862_thumb.j

post-20604-0-88763800-1463418876_thumb.j

post-20604-0-79607500-1463418895_thumb.j

post-20604-0-83230100-1463418914_thumb.j

Edited by kamalabob2

Dear OP

Trying to improve the skillet of anyone is all well & good

But not in a free day course

Complete waste of time

I sometimes wonder about the "farangs" that live among us ! Why would anyone want to attended a one day course to improve a frying pan (skillet) ?

A one day course on learning about modern, innovative, building practice may, however, provide an insight into the possibilities of acquiring new skills or improving on old ones. The time would be well spent.

Dear OP

Complete waste of time

I sometimes wonder about the "farangs" that live among us ! Why would anyone want to attended a one day course to improve a frying pan (skillet) ?

A one day course on learning about modern, innovative, building practice may, however, provide an insight into the possibilities of acquiring new skills or improving on old ones. The time would be well spent.

Hahaha! That gave me a nice giggle!

OP, I agree that it could be worthwhile taking the family along, especially the younger (male) members. if it were a seminar explaining the benefits of going on to an Educational Institution to take a fuller, longer, more in-depth vocational course which may provide members of your wife's family with skills for life. It could also take a possible future burden off your hands too and save you having them flopping around the old shack, waiting for handouts all day....

As said they may not learn much in a one day class, but Thais do learn. The same villagers that built my house 4 years ago are building a house next door to mine. Their methods and skills have improved greatly. They are just rice farmers that do this in the off season.

In my time i have attended many of these one day information courses , but most of them were mainly intended to introduced already trained tradesmen into new products or new techniques using their products , basically a sales promotion. They are useful for that purpose and also networking within the industry but for the novice it will probably be only be a free lunch.

Come one Guys, give the guy a break.

If it was paid, then oke but free (with Lunch etc) who can complain. It's a day out for them and maybe they will learn something.

As the saying goes, "You are never too old to learn even if its only one day" biggrin.png

Edited by MJCM

Today I had my wife speak directly with Mr. Satid Sudbuntad the Chief Operating Officer of Diamond Building Products to confirm what Mr. Moses Lopez of Ruangsangthai Builders Merchants had stated regarding absolutely no fee, and no sales pitch for products or tools at the free building training seminar. I agree that a one day seminar is not the same as a four year apprentice program, but it is a worthwhile effort on my part to help family and trusted Buriram village workers gain more knowledge. That is same number of hours as the Honda Motorbike Drivers Training Safety Class my daughter attended in Buriram at the BRY classroom and test track prior to obtaining her Thai Drivers license.

Mr. Satid Sudbuntad and Mr. Pichai assured her that this was in no way a "nang klang plaeng" where a pitch is made to buy a product. http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/388147/

post-20604-0-56556500-1463473905_thumb.j

If you teach someone something then chances are they will stick to the guidelines you taught.

So the use of specific tools specific materials and a free t-shirt is great marketing for the brands and the business funding the seminar. The attendees may benefit and will certainly feel appreciated with the offer of a free meal and drinks etc and networking may commence.

If it is free and just requires someone to get them to the event why not push the boat out and get every youngster to it and who knows you may find one maybe two wanting a real taste of training and if you get them young and hungry enough to be successful why not give it a shot?

So what if they get the material brands used into their brain, so what if they learn a process Hello - we are talking about learning a process nothing more valuable to a uneducated thai person than learning a process.

If I knew 2-4 youngsters with no aims no essence of being a man I'd take a punt and the truth is I began this reply with scepticism and look how fast it gets turned on its head when you think of all the pros versus the cons. If his due diligence is legit who loses?

1. You round em up

2. You get em fed

3. They learn 1 thing. 1 thing?

4. You drive em there

5. You met kamalasai bob

6. You network

What's the problem?

I just watched gran torino so I'm in a great mood.

If you teach someone something then chances are they will stick to the guidelines you taught.

So the use of specific tools specific materials and a free t-shirt is great marketing for the brands and the business funding the seminar. The attendees may benefit and will certainly feel appreciated with the offer of a free meal and drinks etc and networking may commence.

If it is free and just requires someone to get them to the event why not push the boat out and get every youngster to it and who knows you may find one maybe two wanting a real taste of training and if you get them young and hungry enough to be successful why not give it a shot?

So what if they get the material brands used into their brain, so what if they learn a process Hello - we are talking about learning a process nothing more valuable to a uneducated thai person than learning a process.

If I knew 2-4 youngsters with no aims no essence of being a man I'd take a punt and the truth is I began this reply with scepticism and look how fast it gets turned on its head when you think of all the pros versus the cons. If his due diligence is legit who loses?

1. You round em up

2. You get em fed

3. They learn 1 thing. 1 thing?

4. You drive em there

5. You met kamalasai bob

6. You network

What's the problem?

I just watched gran torino so I'm in a great mood.

Dear OP

Complete waste of time

Why don't you go & waste a day of built life then if you think it's such a good idea?

Dear OP

Complete waste of time

Why don't you go & waste a day of built life then if you think it's such a good idea?

"Why don't you go & waste a day of built life then "

As previously observed they really do walk among us ! smile.png

Good on you Kamalabob2. Your last sentence specified what will be taught and that should be possible in a full day.

Something is always better than nothing. And, at least you are trying to do something and not only talk or complain about it.

Busy day Thursday with my Daughter attending automobile driving lessons at the BRY Honda distributor in Buriram. At the same time two relatives attended the absolutely free home building training lessons at a Buriram Builders Merchants Store. No sales pitch was made for any products or tools as it was translated to me. I walked over as about thirty men were being shown better building procedures on flat concrete roof tiles and the traditional cement roof tiles. Well son of a gun, the CPAC roof at my home had screws from Home Mart missing rubber grommets. The Diamond Building Products technical representative showed me my his line of roof tile screws and clips were a superior design to what I had purchased in 2007 for the CPAC Prestige Flat Roof Tiles. My relatives told my wife they learned more about several aspects of home building and that they would return for any future home building training seminars in Buriram. They are not journeyman union roofers, but today they know more than Wednesday and they will waste less building materials. Now if my daughter can grasp safe auto driving lessons!!

post-20604-0-73713600-1463706178_thumb.j

Good on you Kamalabob2. Your last sentence specified what will be taught and that should be possible in a full day.

Something is always better than nothing. And, at least you are trying to do something and not only talk or complain about it.

Is it? Something better than nothing?

I disagree

People with limited knowledge trying to fix & build things are a danger to themselves & others

From what I see in Bkk, most labourers these days tend to be from Burma, Loas or Cambodia, they are quite happy to work for 500 baht per day, the Thais all seem to want 1,000.

Really?

+/-14k baht for Burmese, +/-28k for Thai laborers, with 3 days off per month and living in compounds nearby.

The rates have gone up.

Is it? Something better than nothing?

I disagree

People with limited knowledge trying to fix & build things are a danger to themselves & others

The project manager is the one who is responsible and if you have a guy that knows how to lay a brick and that's it then that's all you have them do. You do not have them do anything they are not knowledgeable on. If one of those attendees can demonstrate what they learned at the seminar to someone in the know then you have got something and it's not really for nothing it's time and time is precious. If the geezer strolls onto sites like he knows the lot then he is simply a cowboy.

• 1 year later...

My nephew now can use my new WestAir air compressor I bought in Buriram. I've a bit of painting that this Australian designed air compressor will help with. Ait Tools have proven helpful in building a village home on Highway 2229 and I was able to speak with the MD of the manufacturer from Perth, Australia. Investing in quality tools that have real warranty support and spare parts in Isaan has proven helpful for me to build and maintain a couple of homes in Buriram. The new Makita 36 volt cost nearly as much as the air compressor. My nephew was given instructions in Thai from company representatives for both the Makita cordless angle grinder and the air compressor. Helping family members who prove to be hard workers has served me well. 

Buriram air compressor WestAir  home delivery.jpg

Makita 36 volt angle grinder instructions Buriram.jpg

In my younger days working on a farm my 'Boss' would insist I stood and watched the mechanics and plumbers that came to fix broken/damaged machinery and repair pipes

In one day I could learn each repair, and the smart way to go about it, we usually called the mechanics out when the machinery was under guarantee. Not too much later I was in control of all the minor repairs/servicing regarding machinery, and plumbing. The money saved on call outs, not to mention the time saved on turn around time proved to be considerable.

Not waste at all op, if one trick to improve their knowledge, improve their work and make a task easier, speed up installation, is acquired then the day is surely not wasted. 

On 5/21/2016 at 2:16 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

Really?

+/-14k baht for Burmese, +/-28k for Thai laborers, with 3 days off per month and living in compounds nearby.

The rates have gone up.

My Moobaan in CM pays Burmese workers 150bht/day and they can build a shack out back with free electricity.