power outage

happynthailand

There is a limb on the lines somewhere causing a short sever enough to blow the fuses to your neighbors lines but only a "brown out" to yours.

It has a lot to do with the power flow in the circuits and where the fuses are located.

When the fault is located and the lines reenergized your power and that of your neighbor's will be restored.

Considering the winds we have had recently anf the amount of vegetation in Thailand I am very impressed that we do not experience many more power outages than we do.

In a past life, my job was to investigate vegetation caused power outages for a very large power company ( PG&E) in California.

Since I have been living in Thailand, I have been amazed at how reliable the power is here.

Its a bit normal for parts of the town to have power whilst others are out because they or those are ion the other part of the three phase power that is there

But it is not normal to have part of your home house powered in one part and not the iother

Maybe check your fuses

Do you have 3 phase power supply to your home? Most only have single phase using 15/45 amp meter but some have a metal case over larger 3 phase supply so part of your house could be on a phase not lost (often fuse blows on one phase during storm outage) so power will still be available on good phase (although often only 160-170v range). But enough to power lights and fans.

our home still has power to half the home

How do you judge that you have power?

Just from the fact that some lights are on?

Or do you check all the devices like the high power users (water heater, AC)?

Such situation could mean undervoltage like 170 V where LED or other lamps still go strong while your neighbours have neon tube that do not ignite/work on such low voltage.

As others say I also have no other explanation why "half" the home has power except you really have three phase connection (rare) and you neighbors are on a bad phase.

It sometimes happened that the sister in law's house (20 m from our's) has full power while we have zero or low voltage.

But the explanation is simple: the house is on another phase. That is not easy to see if you don't follow the cables to the next transforner,

We experienced something similar last week. Our house had a brownout while others nearby lost power.

Our lights were working but the aircons on 3 phase weren't. A small aircon on normal power still worked.

After a while lights came on in the nearby places and our aircons worked again.

all the aircons work (we have 5), refers work

tv,and computer ,sat works,most of the lights also work

we have 3 phase,big metal box on light pole

had to go out and look at the light poles

every body has the small elect. meters

Archived