NRSA approves planned merger of small schools

NRSA approves planned merger of small schools

BANGKOK, 17 May 2016 (NNT) – The National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) has agreed to the plan to merge small schools in each subdistrict in a bid to raise the quality of education.

During a meeting chaired by Speaker Capt Thinapan Nakata, NRSA members mulled a report from the committee responsible for education reform presented by its deputy chairman Gen Porpol Maneerin. The report proposed a reform of the education system through the merger of small-sized schools at the subdistrict level.

It claimed that more than 15,000 small schools currently exist in Thailand as they were set up in compliance with the policy to ensure accessible education for children across the country. However, due to the decline in birth rate, better transportation systems and shortage of teachers, small schools in the same subdistrict could be incorporated into one for more efficiency.

In the end, the NRSA consented to the merger, which is expected to take effect within one year, while emphasizing that the move should be studied thoroughly before execution. Local officials will also be put in charge of education management in their areas as a way to decentralize the authority.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-17 footer_n.gif

A side effect of this of course is that you then end up with 6 or 7 thousand school sites and buildings to sell off which has the potential for some opportunist to make a small or not so small fortune out of. I bet they are positioning themselves already in anticipation.

The education system is far too moribund to be rescued by merging schools IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I like tuanku's reading of the situation, probably right about people standing to profit from the sales of school land and property! There can't possibly be a 'shortage of teachers'. Just last month the Bangkok Post was reporting an over-supply of Thai trainee teachers so there is obviously some ulterior motive for school closures.
The only way I could see this helping students would be if it ended the practice of some schools ending at M3. If schools were merged and extended to M6, that would help many students. My step-son just had to go through this and it's a rotten process of fighting for a place at various schools.

Archived