Going to Swampy by Late Bus to Ekamai then off at first stop flag a Taxi rest of the way?

marinediscoking

Anybody ever done this? I want to take the 22:00 bus or later from pattaya and get off near the airport and stop a taxi on the side of the road. I have heard the bus driver say "Airport" on that bus before and people get off there before Bang Na. I am not sure if getting a suitcase out of the hold is allowed at that stop? I am guessing getting a metered taxi would not be that difficult or dangerous around midnightish. I know the last Jomiten airport bus goes at 2100 but I live near Naklua so I don't want to leave at eight for a 2:30am flight.

Its probably the Central Bagna stop you're referring too. Sure it can be done but they don't allow bags to be take out of the hold before Ekamai. If you have a large bag or two, just buy an extra ticket and put the bags on the seat next to you.

As for the timing, it seems to me you're cutting it a bit close but that's your call. Just be sure to tell the driver or conductor you want the "airport" stop when you board. No problem getting a taxi...they'll probably be right at the stop.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I've done this before but not this late in the evening. You get off at Home Pro Village (now called Market Village), which is the first stop after the motorway exit toll gate. I would definitely leave on an earlier bus. It's an hour and a half to Home Pro, but lately there have been delays. Grab a taxi outside the Home Pro mall there. It's about 140 baht to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Takes about half an hour to the airport. But you have to take your luggage in the bus cabin. As suggested, buy an extra seat for another 108 baht. They do NOT unload luggage from the undercarriage.

I am guessing getting a metered taxi would not be that difficult or dangerous around midnightish.

You guess wrong. No taxis around the HomePro at that time of night 'cause everything's closed, everyone's gone home, no business..

I am guessing getting a metered taxi would not be that difficult or dangerous around midnightish.

You guess wrong. No taxis around the HomePro at that time of night 'cause everything's closed, everyone's gone home, no business..

Rubbish. There will be plenty of cabs around.

Yep, it's a main frontage road...plenty of cabs 24/7.

You might get lucky. :) Have you actually tried it? I don't think so. But I have.

You might get lucky. smile.png Have you actually tried it? I don't think so. But I have.

I have lived in that area for nigh on seven years now...used to drink around Bang Plee Yai market have taken taxis either on into BKK, Sri Nakharin, Bang Na/Upper Suk or home from there almost nightly.biggrin.png

It's worth bearing in mind that that area is very industrialised with people passing through virtually 24/7

Edited by Merylhighground

You might get lucky. smile.png Have you actually tried it? I don't think so. But I have.

I have lived in that area for nigh on seven years now...used to drink around Bang Plee Yai market have taken taxis either on into BKK, Sri Nakharin, Bang Na/Upper Suk or home from there almost nightly.biggrin.png

It's worth bearing in mind that that area is very industrialised with people passing through virtually 24/7

People passing thru--in their cars--ain't the same as vacant taxis ready to stop at that time of night. I waited patiently; I found exactly NONE. What saved me was calling a driver I know in Bang Na and then he called a friend of his to come pick me up. So that was a delay of around 45 min or so. Me, I wouldn't try it again, but if marinediscoking wants to based on your assurances, then lotsa luck and may he let us know of his experience.

Edited by JSixpack

People passing thru ain't the same as vacant taxis ready to stop at that time of night. I waited patiently; I found exactly NONE. What saved me was calling a driver I know in Bang Na and then he called a friend of his to come pick me up. So that was a delay of around 45 min or so. Me, I wouldn't try it again, but if marinediscoking wants to based on your assurances, then lotsa luck and may he let us know of his experience.

So you're putting your one night's experience against my experiences of almost seven years.....?

Way to go champ!

To the OP I'd also say take your bag/case on the bus with you as they don't unload from under the bus.

From Market Village (Home Pro) it is a short hop(30 mins tops) to the Airport.

The 2200 bus should land you in Bang Phli by around 2330-0000. At that time there will be plenty of cabs.

I'd say get an earlier bus so you're not 'pushing it' timewise.

If you need to kill a few hours, from Home Pro, if you're not laden with large bags, hop over the footbridge towards the 7-11 and Makro where you will find a Ladyboy flogging booze and chicken at a booth with tables and chairs out front. it's a nice spot for people watching and if you're there early-ish there ain't half some truly spectacular crumpet drifting around.

Thanks for all the input. I plan to try this on Thursday so I will let you know how it went. I stopped by the bus station to see the earliest I could by a ticket for the 2200 bus and she informed me 2100. Also she said I don't have to buy a ticket for the suitcase that it will taken out of the hold at home pro. I will see how this goes over with the with the driver before departure.

I have traveled this route a few times at that hour and have seen taxis passing by, so I don't have much concern about not finding one.

I will see how this goes over with the with the driver before departure.

That's the key thing, but where they pull up in Bang Phli is almost a 'hard shoulder' so stopping to whip a bag out of the hold shouldn't be too much hassle as it could be on the main Sukhumwit Road...

FWIW, I have stopped at Home Pro, Udom Suk and On Nut on the way in. The co-pilot would always ask if I have baggage below and when I assured her I do not, that seem to satisfy her there will be no problems because I knew the rule: No unloading anywhere. If I have baggage, I always book another seat. In more than 150++ trips to Bangkok, with maybe 50-60 drop-offs at Home Pro, I have never seen the driver/copilot get out and unload from the cargo hold. But could be I wasn't on the bus when it happened.

Thanks for all the input. I plan to try this on Thursday so I will let you know how it went. I stopped by the bus station to see the earliest I could by a ticket for the 2200 bus and she informed me 2100. Also she said I don't have to buy a ticket for the suitcase that it will taken out of the hold at home pro. I will see how this goes over with the with the driver before departure.

I have traveled this route a few times at that hour and have seen taxis passing by, so I don't have much concern about not finding one.

Given that most of Thailand is in the grips of the post-extended Spring holiday period and a bit cash-strapped, there may a lot less people out and about. It will be good to see how you go with the taxi lark. Good luck with it and smart move asking the driver first about the bag bit.

Got to airport completely fine. Took the 2200 bus which left prompt. Did not have to buy an extra ticket for suitcase,driver put it on floor next to him along with someone else's. Arrived at homepro stop at 2330 and there were about 10 taxis waiting. Driver didn't argue about going there or putting on the meter. Took 15 minutes with zero traffic and he was flying, fair was 147 I gave him 170 for going directly there and no games. So I would definitely recommend this to others.

Thanks to all above posters.