Swipe it: 7-Eleven to accept credit cards

webfact

Swipe it: 7-Eleven to accept credit cards
By Coconuts Bangkok

seven_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Soon you won't need to hit the ATM to get cash when you’re running low at the end of the month because 7-Eleven stores will accept credit cards.

Thai Smart Card, the company that operates the Smart Purse top-up cards used for payments at 7-Eleven, has signed a contract with Visa to enable its credit card holders to pay for their late night snacks and booze with a swipe.

The credit card payment will first be implemented at 7-Eleven stores in Bangkok and tourist destinations some time in the fourth quarter of this year, but eventually, all 7-Eleven stores will accept credit cards.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/17/swipe-it-7-eleven-accept-credit-cards

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it saves the thieves having to beat the PIN number out of us.

Hope there is a limit.

In Australia it's $100 (THB 2600) per transaction, but you can do it a lot of times with just a 'tap'.

Take care of your cards, especially if you visit tourist areas.

Goodbye fast an efficient lines ... Hello 30 minutes to buy a liter of water.

And hello insane interest rates for the people least able to afford them.

The 2% - 3% Visa charges will now be passed along as higher prices.

Why?

Because what has worked perfectly for decades needs to be "improved" so a gigantic Foreigner company can get a percentage of sales.

Borrowing money should be for items one most can not readily afford in one lump sum, a car, a house, a boat. Not a candy bar.

great, finished the endless search of a Bangkok bank ATM (BK Bank only allows you to withdraw at their own ATM), less cash in my pocket thus safer, less cash in the 7/11 tiller thus safer cashiers. Now wait for all the other convenience stores to follow.

Why?

Because what has worked perfectly for decades needs to be "improved" so a gigantic Foreigner company can get a percentage of sales.

Borrowing money should be for items one most can not readily afford in one lump sum, a car, a house, a boat. Not a candy bar.

Do you really think a huge Japanese retailer is going to pay 3%?

How about people that pay off their card every month and get benefits such as cash back or airline miles?

You are thinking like a skint dinosaur

I read a couple of days ago that chip and pin cards and starting to be rolled out in Thailand?

Bank of BKK has had chip and pin cards for several years now... wink.png

Just no chip and pin terminals anywhere? whistling.gif

I guess it saves the thieves having to beat the PIN number out of us.

Hope there is a limit.

In Australia it's $100 (THB 2600) per transaction, but you can do it a lot of times with just a 'tap'.

Take care of your cards, especially if you visit tourist areas.

Why on earth would credit card limits need to be $100? What--you buy $100 flight tickets? You never spend more than $100 in a supermarket? In a Walmart-type store? Why not a 7-11? I think I'll give Australia a pass.

Edited by Dustdevil

Why?

How about people that pay off their card every month and get benefits such as cash back or airline miles?

7-11 is an American company, and you can certainly use a credit card in any retailer in the U.S. One exception I know of is Winco supermarkets, where they don't like to pay the commissions. So people use cash or debit cards.

Edited by Dustdevil

I'm assuming this means debit cards will also be accepted. In the USA no one uses cash, you pay everywhere with a debit card. Very convenient. Thailand is going the same direction, cashless society.

Why?

You don't know what you're talking about. I use a credit card even for a $6 meal at McDonald's in the U.S. It is way faster than dealing with cash. Customers swipe their own cards. Plus, we get benefits such as miles or cash back. The only trick is to use them as cash--i.e., pay them off every month. That's not very hard if you're a sensible adult.

Edited by Dustdevil

Why?

7-11 is an American company,a nd you can certainly use a credit card in any retailer in the U.S. On exception I know of is Winco supermarkets, where they don't like to pay the commissions. So people use cash or debit cards.

The parent is Japanese so for all purposes it's a Japanese company

Great now it's going to be 30 minute queues just like tesco

I honestly cannot stand being in a queue where people want to pay by card it drives me insane, credit cards are the least convenient payment method, this is just a move to help Thais get even further in debt, it would not be surprising if you soon see a 7-11 partnered credit card come out soon too

OHH great, I can already see the Thais, try this card, no, OK try this card, no, OK maybe this one, same as they try multiply cards at the ATM's

I'll stick to cash payments for my few hundred baht shopping

..Library Cards don't work..i tried mine once by mistake!

Why?

7-11 is an American company, and you can certainly use a credit card in any retailer in the U.S. One exception I know of is Winco supermarkets, where they don't like to pay the commissions. So people use cash or debit cards.
7-11 Japanese owned company not USA

Why?

You don't know what you're talking about. I use a credit card even for a $6 meal at McDonald's in the U.S. It is way faster than dealing with cash. Customers swipe their own cards. Plus, we get benefits such as miles or cash back. The only trick is to use them as cash--i.e., pay them off every month. That's not very hard if you're a sensible adult.

Of course it is all done in the name of providing a better service to the consumer. Making our lives easier. We should all go to them with our caps in our hands and prostrate ourselves before them and give humble thanks.

It is good in theory - Being a 'Sensible Adult'. Problem is, whilst you and I may fall into that category, where, like you I suspect, I keep a Zero Credit on my one and only credit card, but the vast majority don't. Whilst we like think the banks 'favour' us for doing so, in fact the opposite is true.

I have had a BKK BANK card with a 'chip' in it for a couple of years now. I have never done the Tap and Go thing and i can't see myself starting. Far too easy to let your finances and accounting get away from you. Besides I am a bit old fashioned, I only like to spend what I have got and I love to have the folding stuff in my pocket. I feel naked without cash. Technology is great, but it is a real bugger when it fails.

Credit Card debt is the Elephant in the room. It eclipses the debt of the home mortgage market.

The Thais are bleeding when it comes to personal/household debt. IMHO it is responsible for a lot of the changes in attitudes here. Debt Stress.

For those who might not have seen it ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXtq0lwcT8

Should speed-up checkout a lot.

Maybe they'll set it up like the TOPS I use here in Bangkok. The card is put in the POS electronic pad machine, if a Visa card and no more than 700 baht then no signature/PIN is required...transaction complete. If a Mastercard, if no more than 1500 baht then no signature/PIN required...transaction complete. If exceeding those amounts then must sign the electronic POS pad, press confirm that appears on the screen, transaction is done, really fast....no fuss.

I expect Chip & Signature mode will be used versus Chip & PIN because the electronic signature pad has no manual button to push, no problem with people forgetting their PIN/punching in the wrong PIN, etc. Yeap, should speed things up

Edited by Pib

I'm assuming this means debit cards will also be accepted. In the USA no one uses cash, you pay everywhere with a debit card. Very convenient. Thailand is going the same direction, cashless society.

I'm struggling with this one, very convenient? whats so difficult about giving cash! I spend a lot of time in Singapore where people love the convenience of cards! I detest standing in a queue in any shop as undoubtedly someone will have a problem with their convenient card!

Off course Thailand is going the same way as the USA, a cashless society - I wonder why this agenda is being driven? Next on the agenda driver-less cars, does anybody want driver-less cars, guess if we are told enough times we will welcome them! (maybe not such a bad idea in Thailand? least they may stay in the right lane)

Why?

No ... I am thinking like an honors graduate in Finance who spent 6 years in the credit card industry, including risk / fraud analyst.

The rate charged for the use of credit cards is universal and all retailers pay it.

OK, now you know my credentials .. may I ask .. what are yours?

I'm struggling with this one, very convenient? whats so difficult about giving cash! I spend a lot of time in Singapore where people love the convenience of cards! I detest standing in a queue in any shop as undoubtedly someone will have a problem with their convenient card!

Off course Thailand is going the same way as the USA, a cashless society - I wonder why this agenda is being driven? Next on the agenda driver-less cars, does anybody want driver-less cars, guess if we are told enough times we will welcome them! (maybe not such a bad idea in Thailand? least they may stay in the right lane)

Yep, no argument here, what can be easier than paying cash? 'That will be 100 Baht, Sir.' Hand over the Red Note, Job done. No records needed.

As for being held up at the Point Of Sale (POS) because some 'cashless' in debt Punter who is buying her Milk and Bread on Credit has trouble finding a card in their wallet or purse that is not 'Maxed Out', out of date, or has been cancelled, is very annoying. And it happens almost bloody daily! Some outlets have 'Cash Only' Counters, they are the ones I head for.

here is a follow up on the Frontline original - 'The Card Game'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gh9gj1_JQ

Why?

No ... I am thinking like an honors graduate in Finance who spent 6 years in the credit card industry, including risk / fraud analyst.

The rate charged for the use of credit cards is universal and all retailers pay it.

OK, now you know my credentials .. may I ask .. what are yours?

You have a big misunderstanding if you think all retailers pay the same rate. Did you get your degree on Kao San road?