2 professors shot to death at college in eastern Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More and more the mindset here seems to be: I have a problem- I’ll need a gun to solve it!

Am I the only one assuming there are correlations between the extreme high numbers of trigger happy Thais, and the way they were brought up, influenced by soaps promoting violence, and questionable events like this?

thai%20education_zpsvhecjjwx.jpg

Sex is bad - guns/violence is ok? Wow! blink.png

I do not think anybody die from showing or looking at nom? whistling.gif

And "human trafficking" still alive and well (Thai fishing boats with Myanmar and Cambodian crews caught in other countries fishing zones?).

Twisted "philosophy".

Colleges in thailand have big gang problems among the students. It's a big problem here. Unheard of in the states.

Before moving to Thailand two years ago, did some homework. Value Thai sense of "jai yen yen." Admire the teachings on Vipassana meditation of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Buddhadassa. Alas, whatever the motives, the murder rates in the United States, with its reputation for violence, and Thailand--are, according to the UN, identical!

Loss of face? Reason to kill someone?

Would Buddha have countenanced this? I think not. Morality not taught from young age by parents or education system?

Sadly, a sign of a deeply troubled society, despite their professed following of Buddhist teachings.

And the alleged shooter taught Buddhist Philosophy? He obviously did not seem to learn from his teachings.

What has Buddha go to do with this?

Pathetic that some people actually think ALL Thais are strict Buddhists.

It's like say after a school shooting in the USA , would Christ have condoned it. Can't you see the faulty thinking?

Would Buddha have countenanced this? I think not. Morality not taught from young age by parents or education system?

Sadly, a sign of a deeply troubled society, despite their professed following of Buddhist teachings.

And the alleged shooter taught Buddhist Philosophy? He obviously did not seem to learn from his teachings.

It's like say after a school shooting in the USA , would Christ have condoned it. Can't you see the faulty thinking?

Shooter was a teacher of Buddhist Philosophy if u read the post

If the shooter turns out to be a policeman's son, he will be charged with a self-defence killing, if charged at all. There must have been some Burmese in the area who should fit the bill.

You are obviously not paying attention at the back of the class..

The shooter has been identified.

"The shooter was identified as 60 year-old Dr Wanchai Danaitamonut who lectured in Buddhist Philosophy at the institute. The two deceased were shot while invigilating an exam. Police have already found Danaitamonut's abandoned car." from Post #31 by katana.

post-9891-0-24253200-1463567918_thumb.jp

No "Burmese" no policeman's son.

I really don't know why Thailand has a police force. As we can see here, it takes just three or four TV sleuths to crack such cases wide open.

Impressive beyond all telling.

Now that could be taken as either a reflection on the superficial analysis leading to a decision on the part of many "TV sleuths, or a comment on the inadequacies of the Thai Police Force.

Both points of view have a certain validity!

smile.png

I really don't know why Thailand has a police force. As we can see here, it takes just three or four TV sleuths to crack such cases wide open.

Impressive beyond all telling.

Flawed as it maybe it shows some critical thinking.

That's something the local population including the Police seem to lack.

I read, I believe in a Bangkok Post piece on this,, that it started with a heated debate between professors that escalated.

And that's all that matters here. Thais have consistently shown they resort to violent actions not as a last resort, but as a first. The reason for the argument is irrelevant. What is relevant is what is causing Thais to react so quickly and so violently without a care or concern for their own actions? What has Thailand done to its society that calls for such drastic measures so quickly and without care for anything except their thinking. You all are not thinking clearly!!! This happened in front of a room full of students watching it all.. This man was supposed to be setting a lifetime example for those kids as an educated professor.

Others are trying to compare Thailand with Australia or the USA or other countries.How can you compare this given the population differences.

The part that shocked me was "Police said they are looking for a suspect in the deadly shooting". Normally, they just wait for someone to turn themselves in at the station.

What utter nonsense. I wonder if some TV posters have any documented contact with reality.

The shooter was identified as 60 year-old Dr Wanchai Danaitamonut who lectured in Buddhist Philosophy at the institute. The two deceased were shot while invigilating an exam. Police have already found Danaitamonut's abandoned car.

TD7gOjU.jpg

Wanchai Danaitamonut

What a dumbass. Rot in hell loser.

I read, I believe in a Bangkok Post piece on this,, that it started with a heated debate between professors that escalated.

And that's all that matters here. Thais have consistently shown they resort to violent actions not as a last resort, but as a first. The reason for the argument is irrelevant. What is relevant is what is causing Thais to react so quickly and so violently without a care or concern for their own actions? What has Thailand done to its society that calls for such drastic measures so quickly and without care for anything except their thinking. You all are not thinking clearly!!! This happened in front of a room full of students watching it all.. This man was supposed to be setting a lifetime example for those kids as an educated professor.

Others are trying to compare Thailand with Australia or the USA or other countries.How can you compare this given the population differences.

"What has Thailand done to its society that calls for such drastic measures so quickly and without care for anything except their thinking. "

And what have farang done that creates such a blinkered perspective and the need to pontificate while assuming this sort of thing is more a Thai issue although such face-saving violence is more typical in the west where terms like road-rage, going postal and school shootings originated to describe events so common they often barely make the news unless the body count is sufficiently impressive.

If this was caused by an escalating argument, that is deplorable but to immediately attribute the behavior of a few idiots to all Thais is an example of the colonial mindset of a farang whose own country has behaved in ways that are truly deplorable and on a considerably grander scale.

That this should happen anywhere is tragic. That it should be used as an opportunity for very moralistic hand-wringing by people unqualified to throw the first stone, is the message board equivalent of vultures and ambulance chasers who begin circling whenever they see to chance to bash away.

Edited by Suradit69

You're right, you can't.

There are reasons for this nehaviour deep in the psychology of Thais, of which their culture is a consequence. In turn, the reasons why their psychology is thus are known and well understood, though they can't be mentioned or discussed here. Sadly.

This is the main reason I personally have found it best to keep my head down and mind my own business, to get on with my own life. Thankfully, my family (all Thais) have adopted some of my perspectives and can see the ludicrous way the majority conduct themselves. At least I can feel at home with my family. The main source of angst between people is that their efforts to understand and control their context and environment, it's a security thing. I (finally) understand mine, and for me, that's enough.

Let them carry on and blow themselves up. The world won't notice much less grieve. Speaking personally, they've had and squandered all the good intentions and caring from me that they're going to get.

Winnie

I thought that university looked familiar. I thought it was near me but it said it was in Bang Na. The the second report said Bang Khen. It's in Bang Khen, right?

"Don't bother me with details" shouldn't be a reporter's philosophy.

It also says it was in Eastern Bangkok, like Bang Na is, and isn't Bang Khen a bit more to the West, as in near Nonthaburi ?

Colleges in thailand have big gang problems among the students. It's a big problem here. Unheard of in the states.

Before moving to Thailand two years ago, did some homework. Value Thai sense of "jai yen yen." Admire the teachings on Vipassana meditation of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Buddhadassa. Alas, whatever the motives, the murder rates in the United States, with its reputation for violence, and Thailand--are, according to the UN, identical!

no they are not identical, the last survey show the murder by gun is twice in thailand than in the UScoffee1.gif

"What has Thailand done to its society that calls for such drastic measures so quickly and without care for anything except their thinking. "

And what have farang done that creates such a blinkered perspective and the need to pontificate while assuming this sort of thing is more a Thai issue although such face-saving violence is more typical in the west where terms like road-rage, going postal and school shootings originated to describe events so common they often barely make the news unless the body count is sufficiently impressive.

If this was caused by an escalating argument, that is deplorable but to immediately attribute the behavior of a few idiots to all Thais is an example of the colonial mindset of a farang whose own country has behaved in ways that are truly deplorable and on a considerably grander scale.

That this should happen anywhere is tragic. That it should be used as an opportunity for very moralistic hand-wringing by people unqualified to throw the first stone, is the message board equivalent of vultures and ambulance chasers who begin circling whenever they see to chance to bash away.

You can't blame the behaviour of Thais on anyone except Thais, much though many would like to in order that their own fairy-tale mental picture can survive.

Forget throwing the first stone, forget the 'it's only a few Thais', in fact forget most of what you seem to believe, it's a convenient construct and not a very realistic one.

The behaviour of Thais is, in general, lamentable, and not only in their propensity for violence and dependence on self-esteem (face), which is probably the cause of this incident. If their behaviour were not so primitive, Thailand would not be a 3rd-world country. IMHO.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

And what has that got to do with 2 lecturers being murdered, unless of course you are inferring they were gang members?

And no gang problems in good old USA, where have you been hiding for the past years?

55555555....both are in same lecture hall..both are 50...room no ; insert 2 next to same previous no 50...floor was 5 all seems 555555.....

Ok let's see what the CCTV tell us...1 gun man shooting 2.....scratching my head...uni Prof...??

What?

What is correct, seems a few of the inmates have escaped the funny farm when you read a few of the posts.

Surprised? Never heard of (infidel) professors shot or hacked to death before? But it could just be a sentisexual issue...

Would you care to expand on your rambling ...

That it was a Professor in Bhuddism does say something about this country, that you cant see that and want to argue against also says something about Thai mindsets.

Now will I be blinded by the silence?

The part that shocked me was "Police said they are looking for a suspect in the deadly shooting". Normally, they just wait for someone to turn themselves in at the station.

What utter nonsense. I wonder if some TV posters have any documented contact with reality.

Not many. It's all surreal isn't it?

No.

55555555....both are in same lecture hall..both are 50...room no ; insert 2 next to same previous no 50...floor was 5 all seems 555555.....

Ok let's see what the CCTV tell us...1 gun man shooting 2.....scratching my head...uni Prof...??

This is just one of a very disturbing set of comments from Thai visa members.

What an absolute set of <deleted>.