Bad internet last few days with TOT

pistachios

Am i the only one to have a terrible internet since about a week? I am with TOT adsl.

Ping results :

547 packets transmitted, 400 packets received, 26.9% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 140.840/353.538/851.090/109.582 ms

Browsing is tedious, gaming impossible but for some reason torrenting works fine.

This morning it worked for a while as it should (ping about 120ms, no packet loss) but it didn't last. It feels the same as when there was a problem with a submarine cable.

My TOT is working fine.

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

14206 packets transmitted, 14182 received, 0% packet loss, time 14222368ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 74.960/87.748/1483.306/43.669 ms, pipe 2

Do a traceroute and ping the result IP-addresses separately. In that way you can check if the problem is close by your home or somewhere else.

OSX/Liunx: for i in `traceroute -n 8.8.8.8 | cut -d " " -f 4` ; do ping -c 10 $i ; done

Edited by Guest

My TOT is working fine.

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

14206 packets transmitted, 14182 received, 0% packet loss, time 14222368ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 74.960/87.748/1483.306/43.669 ms, pipe 2

Do a traceroute and ping the result IP-addresses separately. In that way you can check if the problem is close by your home or somewhere else.

OSX/Liunx: for i in `traceroute -n 8.8.8.8 | cut -d " " -f 4` ; do ping -c 10 $i ; done

Thanks for this useful command.

Hard to tell what's going on from the results. It feels it's already bad at the first node after the router, I have pretty much the same results for each node. Is the first node the local telephone exchange?

Thanks for this useful command.

Hard to tell what's going on from the results. It feels it's already bad at the first node after the router, I have pretty much the same results for each node. Is the first node the local telephone exchange?

Check that the ADLS/phone line connections are ok and not dirty. It could be that one connection is simply loose. TOT helpline is pretty good and they normally resolve the issues within hours.

For the next IP address, I don't really know, but I assume the next hop after the router is at TOT office at Phuket Town. Most likely the DSLAM, where the subscriber lines connect is talking ATM and not IP towards he ISP network.

640px-XDSL_Connectivity_Diagram_en.svg.p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line_access_multiplexer#Role_of_the_DSLAM

OP,

were are you pinging to ? So people can check for you if they get the same

Posting pure statistics don't mean much whistling.gif

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 18, Received = 18, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 69ms, Average = 38ms

I am on TOT (not ADSL, but WiNet)

If the ping times go up sharply at the first hop after the router and if you see packet loss if you ping that node, then I'd suspect that there's something wrong with your ADSL line. Better have it checked IMHO.

Edited by Lannig

ToT fibre (not in Phuket),

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 35ms

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 2 weeks later...

TOT is really incompetent internet service provider.I use IP camera and 4 out of 5 days can not access online my camera. TOT keep saying just turn off router and turn it on. Then it works for few hours or a day. When I use my laptop and after a while (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 30 min. internet connection goes 'limited access' and can not access any website. Then need to restart laptop and/or router to connect again. TOT supplied the router, they say contact TP-Link because maybe the router wifi have problem. They say they will send out technician to check, but don;t know when. This company is a JOKE. Totally incompetent. They are only good sending bills on time to pay for their non-existent service. Avoid TOT if you can find another internet provider. I'm not paying their bills anymore for the days my internet not working, including waiting on their technician to show up.

TOT is really incompetent internet service provider.I use IP camera and 4 out of 5 days can not access online my camera. TOT keep saying just turn off router and turn it on. Then it works for few hours or a day. When I use my laptop and after a while (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 30 min. internet connection goes 'limited access' and can not access any website. Then need to restart laptop and/or router to connect again. TOT supplied the router, they say contact TP-Link because maybe the router wifi have problem. They say they will send out technician to check, but don;t know when. This company is a JOKE. Totally incompetent. They are only good sending bills on time to pay for their non-existent service. Avoid TOT if you can find another internet provider. I'm not paying their bills anymore for the days my internet not working, including waiting on their technician to show up.

When I lived in Phuket town I had TOT internet service and found that they were pretty good at sorting out problems. The most common solution to my poor connection speeds was "Reset the DSLAM". They had to do that several times over a period of 6 months or so, and then eventually connected me to a different port.

Another problem they solved was my speed dropping from 6 Mbps (the max in those days) down to 2 Mbps late at night for about 20 minutes. Then I realised it was happening whenever my g/f took a shower. I tell you, it took me quite a while to make that connection rolleyes.gif

Anyway, their solution was to ground one side of the telephone wire instead of letting both wires "float". Something to do with "common noise" from the shower PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having problems with True on and off for 6 months.....prior to that they were excellent for 3 years

Anyhow they keep saying problem is within my premises......I had this checked by a guy and he said there appeared to be no problems....he had meters etc to test.....now I cant find this guy to do another check....does anyone know of someone who does this kind of work in Patong