Bresse Chickens

Poule de bresse are actually for sale in Thailand,i have seen some.

These chickens are famous for their taste and quality of meat.

It was very hard in the past to find any of these birds alive outside of France,now also a lot of eggs are available.

however just having these birds does not mean you get the meat that is so boasted about,they eat a very strict diet and i believe you even have to feed them buttermilk.

Worth reading -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresse_chicken

Are you really prepared to go to all this work to produce a "local" Bresse ? At least they are a heat tolerant bird.

Can you buy buttermilk etc ?

Within the USA costs are around $4 per hatching egg or $5 per D/O.

Will what you buy in Chatuchuk be "real" Bresse chicken ? If it has blue feet and or legs you may be lucky though these may have come from Canada or USA. There are four recognised colours, grey, white, black, blue.

The birds genetic makeup is what makes the carcase so different, not just the way you feed it.

I am sure hotels would buy but, labeling would have to be like cheese or yogurt e.g. "Greek style yogurt".

Perhaps you could experiment with local breeds or available birds that are similar.

Good luck anyway.

It was very hard in the past to find any of these birds alive outside of France,now also a lot of eggs are available.

however just having these birds does not mean you get the meat that is so boasted about,they eat a very strict diet and i believe you even have to feed them buttermilk.

The farmers in Bresse pay particular attention to the diet of these birds, which is why you see so much maize being cultivated in Bresse. Bresse is also cattle country and I know that milk products are also a part of their diet. I find it hard to believe that conditions in Bresse can be reproduced here. Deep freeze? I suppose so.

The Kings Project are capable of producing Bresse chickens as in France ,including their last days in epinettes. They also produce rhubarb,trout and sturgeon.

Thanks for this and previous postings.

I have been involved in farming since 1960 ( age 15 ) - originally UK - then overseas. Miss it very much.

Rhubarb eh !, now we're talking !

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/19/2016 at 10:19 AM, jvs said:

I agree, if they do not eat exactly what they are eating in France, they cannot be as good.