Work Permits For English Teachers

Hi, I am planning on hopefully traveling to Thailand in August to stay for a year, and although I would like to find work other than teaching, it seems that teaching English is the way to go. I am a 24 year old female U.S. citizen, with a B.A. degree.

I would like to know how one would go about getting a work permit to teach in Thailand? I have checked certain "recruiter" web sites (where recruiters find you a position and get paid when you sign the contract)... but I am having trouble finding recruiters who work with Thai schools... Mainly Japan and s. Korea. But I'd like to go to Thailand...

So, even though this question may have an easy answer, could someone help me figure out how to get an english-teaching job (and work permit) in Thailand?

Thanks!

-Jessica

If your background, qualifications and resume are up to scratch I would seriously consider teaching for Mahidol University. If you are qualified for any of the vacancies which come up once in a while then apply direct in Bangkok, but don't get your hopes up as I went for an interview there and was only asked to put my name on the list. The list had fifty three names ahead of mine. If they like you these people will look after you and grant you a work permit. Good luck.

Thaimee.

It's not true.

But I once worked for a government institution where many moons ago a proposal for hiring English teachers had inadvertently specified Americans or Brits. No-one in the department knew about this and it actually caused serious problems when a Canadian was hired (within the institution, nothing to do with the work permit). Eventually sorted by mountains of paperwork.

Yes, wrong, my Filipina girlfriend got a work permit. I know many Filipinos with work permits here in Thailand as English teachers.

The stories get wilder later at night and after copious beers. :o

i don't know how you can say Doc....hic....hic :D

Following the new regulations in July, for private schools that are quite numerous in LOS, teachers with different nationalities would take advantages on the others.

The following nationalities must show that they earn the following minimum monthly incomes:

Japanese, Americans and Canadians: 60,000b.

Europeans and Australians: 50,000b.

Koreans, Taiwanese, Hong Kong nationals, nationals of colonies of the UK, British Singaporeans and Malaysians: 45,000b.

Indians, nationals of the Middle East, Chinese Indonesians, Philippine nationals: 35,000b

Burmese, Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Africans: 25,000b.

Any foreign national in the newspaper business: 20,000b

I mean for exactly the same job, an English person or any other European will be required to earn less than an American person to have a work permit, will be required to pay less taxes, so finally easier to find a position.

But at the end, even if some nationalities have advantage (not for every citizen) when they come here for tourism, it's a fact that working here, every nationalities will earn baht and will live with the same needs, and pay the same price for everything. So why such differences ?

And this will apply for every business. Just an example: A Japanese who open his restaurant will have to invest the same amount as a French or an Italian who open his. But does this mean that the Japanese will get more customers ? Still he'll have to earn more and pay more taxes.

Isn't it simply amazing ?