Qatar seeks 100K Cambodian workers

geovalin

A Qatari envoy yesterday told Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng that the Gulf state was interested in receiving as many as 100,000 Cambodian workers. This interest has rekindled concerns for would-be migrants’ well-being among labour rights advocates, despite the envoy’s assurances they would be well looked after.

Saleh Saeed Al-Shawi, director of the Department of Legal Affairs at the Qatari Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, said in the meeting yesterday that for Cambodians to work in the emirate a plan should be created that includes a “protection mechanism” for migrant workers.

“Our labour minister told us that we can receive 33,000 Cambodian workers” immediately, Al-Shawi said, adding that he will share a list of Cambodian recruitment agencies with their Qatari counterparts.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/qatar-seeks-100k-cambodian-workers

They have run out the Indians and Bangladeshi as they are pushing for not to be housed and working like animals;

So bring in a new breed and the process starts all over.

1) No air-con in 45* heat

2) Communal toilets = 1 toilet for 50 people......no toilet paper or bum guns, just a bucket of water and your hand.

3) Slop for food being served, rodents, cockroaches infested rice

4) 6 days 12 hours........shhhhh...

5) Your room mate trying to corn hole you.

6) LOW PAY = 125.00 USD PER MONTH

7) THE STENCH

8) Need I say more.....

Edited by Americano555

They have run out the Indians and Bangladeshi as they are pushing for not to be housed and working like animals;

2) Communal toilets = 1 toilet for 50 people......no toilet paper or bum guns, just a bucket of water and your hand.

7) THE STENCH

8) Need I say more.....

and they are the lucky ones, many building labourers end up having to sleep on the floors of the building they are contructing. Qatar does not have a very good record in regard to human rights. You are not allowed to leave the Country without a permission letter from your employee, without this letter you will be detained by the immigration at the airport

I spent the best part of 15 years working in Gulf states during the 80's and 90's so I can agree with the first 4 points. Number 5 is not a given, but it gets probable after a year of 40 people in a single barracks room (you missed that one Americano555). As to pay, has it that much for common labour? I remember $110 to $115 for Nepalese airport cleaners (no idea how they handled the environmental difference, mid east to Nepal) and that was almost 30 years back.

And there are still lost of guys who never see their full money until they've signed on for another year and returned to the country. I year's work, 1 months vacation, 1 years work... heck of a lifestyle.

7) THE STENCH

8) Need I say more.....

Wow. But with only 125USD per month in one of the world's richest countries, why would a Cambodian bother? They can earn that working back home, and can earn at least 9000 Baht (around USD 257 a month) working in neighboring Thailand.

Why bother with Qatar then? Plenty of jobs for Cambodians in Thailand and to some extent even in southern Vietnam.

Indeed yes. I live 2 hours from the Cambodian border, hordes of Cambodians working here and plenty of jobs go begging for lack of enough workers. None pay less than 9000 baht a month, and while working conditions and benefits aren't what they could be they are far better than in the Gulf.