'Stop attacking tourists'

Rayk

I haven't read anything lately on Thai Visas, Pattaya forum about tourists getting robbed or beaten.
Hasn't been a report of a ladyboy robbery in more than a week.

I'm just wondering if the 'Stop attacking tourists' police campaign in Pattaya is actually working. It seems to me that it appears to be.

Edited by Jonathan Fairfield

It's hard to imagine that exhortation could ever work with the group who might contemplate it, so (as the philosophers would say), there's the locution, there's the illocutionary force and there's the perlocutionary intent: what it means, what you took it to mean, and what I intended you to understand. smile.png

In this case what the campaign says, "Do this and expect to be absolutely f*****g sh*****d. We've been told from above, so your contacts won't help you on this one. This is like Mobutu before the Ali-Foreman fight. The big guys are involved, it's an international embarrassment and the 3,000 baht that would normally save you won't even pay for the bandages".

Or words to that effect.

In this case what the campaign says, "Do this and expect to be absolutely f*****g sh*****d. We've been told from above, so your contacts won't help you on this one. This is like Mobutu before the Ali-Foreman fight. The big guys are involved, it's an international embarrassment and the 3,000 baht that would normally save you won't even pay for the bandages".

Or words to that effect.

So correct. Punishment has to more severe. I think hand amputations would change so much over night.

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

All major tourist destinations (throughout the world) have criminals who prey on tourists so why single out Pattaya?

I'm sure that all the other tourist resorts in Thailand have their own problems with tourist crimes, why not ask them why not single them out?

The Press, like most institutions in Thailand, is dysfunctional so you are never going to get a complete picture of what the actual crime rate is but I certainly feel far safer in Pattaya than in my home town.

But, like any city, you have to be 'street wise' and don't leave your brain at the airport,coffee1.gif

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

All major tourist destinations (throughout the world) have criminals who prey on tourists so why single out Pattaya?

I'm sure that all the other tourist resorts in Thailand have their own problems with tourist crimes, why not ask them why not single them out?

The Press, like most institutions in Thailand, is dysfunctional so you are never going to get a complete picture of what the actual crime rate is but I certainly feel far safer in Pattaya than in my home town.

But, like any city, you have to be 'street wise' and don't leave your brain at the airport,coffee1.gif

Because this isn't 'Mexican-Visa.Com' discussing Cancun !!...

I do agree with you, I'm sure that other tourist resorts in Thailand (and many other places) have their own issues with crimes against tourists... that said, the obvious ones stand out... LB's attacking tourists in Pattaya is a very common report.. so much so, someone has noticed the absence of such reports...

Much in the same way if we didn't hear of a Coach rolling down a ravine and killing half the people onboard, or a mini-van wiping out in wet weather at the cost of innocents, or a truck going down a hill in Phuket and wiping out a few lives...or some wealthy twit taking out a few cyclists... and on and on, it would be noticeable.... These are all reports we've become accustomed to, to such a degree their absence would be picked up...

Streetwise or not... LB's have been attacking people on Beach Road for decades... An absence of those reports means what ??? its stopped or such events are being covered up ?....

All in all.. a fairly valid question posed by the Op..

On top of which... If visiting Pattaya, I'm not going to be walking down Beach Road at any time of night..... Why ???? it may be called being street smart...

but you can only be street smart when you know the streets... for any tourist, its just a road running along the beach...

Edited by richard_smith237

It goes on in every country. If the media was controlled and given a set of rules the incident like the murder / suicide could have turned out differently, ever notice they only cover the bad stories, there are 70,000,000 people here in Thailand. Why not report the good things they do?

There is no code of ethics, no, no ethics. I personally can not be bothered with all this negativity.

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

Nice try, agitprop. No other major tourist destination has this level of crime against tourists in the world. In addition, nowhere on the planet do the police give a care less about this major problem than in Thailand. The boys in the tight brown suits don't care if you love be or die. Farang are not Thai. Farang will keep coming. We are disposable to them.

I recall from years ago interview with Dallas Cowboy coach Jimmy Johnson. He said (more or less) "Tell people what you want them to do and not what you don't want them to do. Tell a player 'hold onto the ball' rather than 'don't fumble'. The mind forgets 'don't' but does keep image of 'fumble' up there, which increases chance player will fumble."

Point might be "don't attack tourists" perhaps plant that idea of attacking... "gee, hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a plan"

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

Because it these attacks are not isolated incidents. How, when you have a place such as Pattaya that prides it self on the seedier side of life you can not expect anything else but crimes to be committed. The TAT support the Pattaya business plan as well in all their tourist brochures. The way it is publicized with pride (goodness only knows why) you will not stop these attacks.

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

I'm asking the question due to the campaign that has been initiated in Pattaya called 'Stop attacking Tourists'.

You really should learn the meaning of the word troll.

Last I checked the general forum was all about Thailand and anything to do with Thailand.

If You have nothing to add to the thread than you should put a sock in it.

Edited by Rayk

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

Nice try, agitprop. No other major tourist destination has this level of crime against tourists in the world. In addition, nowhere on the planet do the police give a care less about this major problem than in Thailand. The boys in the tight brown suits don't care if you love be or die. Farang are not Thai. Farang will keep coming. We are disposable to them.

Wrong.bah.gif Peterrabbits post is spot on.

It's hard to imagine that exhortation could ever work with the group who might contemplate it, so (as the philosophers would say), there's the locution, there's the illocutionary force and there's the perlocutionary intent: what it means, what you took it to mean, and what I intended you to understand. smile.png

Or words to that effect

Has it been a whole week already for this campaign? Boy thats a long time. Time to shelve this idea.

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

I'm asking the question due to the campaign that has been initiated in Pattaya called 'Stop attacking Tourists'.

You really should learn the meaning of the word troll.

Last I checked the general forum was all about Thailand and anything to do with Thailand.

If You have nothing to add to the thread than you should put a sock in it.

Yet all our comparisons about Thailand are with other places in the world.

Troll Post !!! bah.gif

Egypt has driven its tourist out of touring Egypt. Thailand can do the same if it only tries a little harder its tourism number could tumble just like Egypt. Thailand doesn't have a Pyramid or tombs like Egypt or even mentioned in the bible.