Nominations for best farang restaurant/bar owner.....

KhonKaenKowboy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed a personal squabble that was ruining the topic. If either party continues it they will lose their posting rights. Don't know why Chiang Mai can't have a civil discussion about food.

Removed a personal squabble that was ruining the topic. If either party continues it they will lose their posting rights. Don't know why Chiang Mai can't have a civil discussion about food.

Acknowledged.

why not include thai owned as well, stacks around ?????

Farang in the title of the op's post would give a clue to what he was asking for responses on?

Tony at Yummy for me.

How is it possible for a Farong to legally own a business in Thailand?

I was under the impression they could only own up to 49%.

If indeed the bars are really owned by a Farong I would vote for Gecko's. How ever it doers seem to me he goes through a lot of staff. Not into sports but the UN Irish pup does do a decent job. Mad Dog well if you aren't particular. Last time in there I had a pizza and it reminded me of the frozen ones in Safeway back home. Breakfast is passable but would do the UN Irish pup first.

Farang in the title of the op's post would give a clue to what he was asking for responses on?

Tony at Yummy for me.

If indeed the bars are really owned by a Farong I would vote for Gecko's. How ever it doers seem to me he goes through a lot of staff. Not into sports but the UN Irish pup does do a decent job. Mad Dog well if you aren't particular. Last time in there I had a pizza and it reminded me of the frozen ones in Safeway back home. Breakfast is passable but would do the UN Irish pup first.

Restaurants owned by Americans are OK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand%E2%80%93United_States)

It's called the "Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations" and includes businesses like Duke's.

Tony at Yummy for me.

American citizens may own 100% of a business in Thailand thanks to some obscure treaty that the rest of the world is not party to. All others are limited to 49% though in truth much of that is smoke and mirrors - there are many Thais making a quiet and discrete living enabling 100% ownership of businesses here.

I'm not sure if Archer's is still a going concern but they too served good food, especially on Sunday.

had breakfast there today must be the best value farang meal one can find in chiang mai,and his sunday dinners are pretty good as well,

special for Saturday,lamb chops 199bht with all the dressings Gecko bar,just saying,Went to get my quota Danish blue cheese there today. he does varie his menu that guy, give him credit

Rudi has done a good job a Gecko. The food isn't the greatest in the world but it's OK and well priced.

The Fish & Chips are good and not expensive. Big menu enough for farang's and Thai's. Gets a lot of people in at night and you can always find someone to talk to if you want. It's not a stocks and shares discussion bar, although there's sometimes the odd character that wants to show off, in which case it's time to move on. It's one of the few remaining 'old' style Chiang Mai places and I hope it keeps going. For newbies who need somewhere this is a good starting point or join the Ex Pats Club and I'm sure you will be directed to a more suitable place, as the people there know a variety of restaurants in Malls, by the river,in the night bazaar etc, in fact somewhere to fulfill all your and others needs.

Since the topic here is "best farang owner", I'll politely disagree.

Gecko is filthy, particularly the toilets. Like an airport public toilet in Pakistan filthy. In addition, the owner loves to corner farang customers to espouse his political views. Pass.

By the way, W the actual F is your obsession with posting about "stocks and shares discussion" on this thread? Seriously....I've never been in any Western oriented establishment in Chiang Mai where that's a discussion point. SMH.

Yeah, the only time I've EVER discussed stocks and shares over a meal in Chiang Mai is at a meeting of the "Money Club" which is in no way affiliated with CEC.

I agree, it's just not something most people talk about otherwise. Maybe how to transfer money economically from the U.S. to Thailand. But not investments.

Food, immigration, hospitals, doctors, weather, air quality -- those are hot topics.

The UN Irish Pub (google it) is another OK place especially for Sports Fans.

The food is good, the prices aren't exorbitant and the quality reasonable.

Nice cold beer and four TV's with different sports, great for tourist's.

I tend to disagree.... the beer prices ain't great when compared to what's on offer around the area.

I can understand charging more because of what's on offer sports TV wise but then I do draw a line when the prices are at a premium.

For the price of a small Leo I can get a large one elsewhere, and if I want a water then I could get 2 bottles at the same price from 7 11.

Food is okay....but not great.

I'm not a slackpacker, so I don't mind paying for quality or service. Unfortunately the UN comes up short.

And while I'm on line my vote for a good falang owned place would go to Stu at the Downunder Pub. Sure it's a drinking establishment first and foremost but the pub grub is pretty good too.

He shows most sports on his 3 screens and the booze prices are good.

When people start comparing 7-11 prices to pub prices; you know things are taking a wrong turn. It is reasonable to expect a farang owned and managed place to be charging for the seating, lighting, music, kitchen facilities, etc. that 7-11 aren't supplying and to be covering a "farang standard of living" too.

I don't get the love for Dukes which I find over-priced for what you get but it's hardly a bank breaking experience either.

Papa Rock surely has to be worth a mention for its pizzas, burgers and live music.

The Red Lion is excellent for both "reasonably priced" (let's not get into an argument - if the only place you buy beer is 7-11 nothing else will be "reasonably priced") imported beer and its Western menu. (Best chips in town).

El Patio over in Nimman does the best tapas I've found in South East Asia and it's very reasonably priced; though that is offset by the expensive booze prices which might scare some of this board into an early grave.

i concur with Auf Der Au. food is clean, kept at the proper temperatures (hot and cold), very tasty, and the owners are lovely people. but i never understood the photo of the owner and the criminal George W. Bush hanging above the toilet.blink.png

Butter is better for the breakfast pancakes with side of bacon....and milkshakes...and burgers (maybe not for breakfast)

Archers for Sunday lunch.

Dukes...pretty much anytime.

UN Irish...pretty much never if food is a criteria.

When people start comparing 7-11 prices to pub prices; you know things are taking a wrong turn. It is reasonable to expect a farang owned and managed place to be charging for the seating, lighting, music, kitchen facilities, etc. that 7-11 aren't supplying and to be covering a "farang standard of living" too.

I don't get the love for Dukes which I find over-priced for what you get but it's hardly a bank breaking experience either.

Papa Rock surely has to be worth a mention for its pizzas, burgers and live music.

The Red Lion is excellent for both "reasonably priced" (let's not get into an argument - if the only place you buy beer is 7-11 nothing else will be "reasonably priced") imported beer and its Western menu. (Best chips in town).

El Patio over in Nimman does the best tapas I've found in South East Asia and it's very reasonably priced; though that is offset by the expensive booze prices which might scare some of this board into an early grave.

I went to El Patio once...

I don't eat beef so i favor the chicken bar-b-q grills. A big gob of papaya salad on the side and i'm gud to go.

My current faves are next to Green Palace Hotel/Dayli and the one on the San Sai road, near Tony's Downunder pub. Save 30 bt out of town. But i've never seen the farang owners, if any.

I cast my vote gladly for Mr. Brian Pern and his fine little place on Huay Kaew Rd called...Pern's!

A true gentleman, offering great food and service. Next door to that "Salsa" place. Across the road from the Shell station.

I admit I am a Dukes fan and do find some of his offerings over priced. How ever what has not been mentioned here is the standard of cleanliness and quality of the food. Look behind the glad hand I am a nice guy and see how much he spends of the baht he takes in for food and how clean his kitchen and washrooms are.

I myself with my own eyes saw a fellow approach the grill on arrival to begin his day work. Dave looked at him and put his finger in his face and told him to go wash his hands. That was at the attempted franchise operation in the old city on the moat.

For those who can only compare bar's I vote over all for Gecko's I find Rudi to be anti social. Not the cleanest but great prices and a great selection with a complete Thai menu written in Thai for those of us who have a Thai wife who thinks food has to be Thai to be good. She will make an exception for Pizza especially at Dukes.

the owner/farang at patio has had more than his share of complaints. You can go there on Saturday night; I can go to Club Cafe, every other night for about the same money. The more popular bars compete with 711 on pricing; nothing new here....it feeds on itself..the more they sell, the better pricing they get. Dayli must have had 100+ Friday night...all doing promos and drinking up...meanwhile...lots of nursing (without a nurse) and brooding at the farang places.

the owner/farang at patio has had more than his share of complaints. You can go there on Saturday night; I can go to Club Cafe, every other night for about the same money. The more popular bars compete with 711 on pricing; nothing new here....it feeds on itself..the more they sell, the better pricing they get. Dayli must have had 100+ Friday night...all doing promos and drinking up...meanwhile...lots of nursing (without a nurse) and brooding at the farang places.

club café closed isn't it, Or are they doing some alterations.???

Gunter, Villa Germania Jomtien best snitzel s money can buy.

Did they actually produce season 2? I really liked the first part. Was a great show for german Blutfernsehen. And they probably were the only ones who could gain from it. Never tried the Schnitzel though.... smile.png

Having said that I nominate Udo and their Schnitzel on Mondays + buffet @ Auf der Au.

Edited by MadMac