Motorcycle Yamaha Spark 135

tracker

thanks for the answer. I now the nuovo is 110cc. It was my first choice because it is one of the motorcycles where my knees are not touching the handlebars.

I was told by a motorcycle-parts/repair shop that the nuovo is thirsty and that the spark was a better choice....

thanks for the answer. I now the nuovo is 110cc. It was my first choice because it is one of the motorcycles where my knees are not touching the handlebars.

I was told by a motorcycle-parts/repair shop that the nuovo is thirsty and that the spark was a better choice....

Maybe because it has no gears and has to rev higher? :o

I will say that the Spark has nice power but its downside is that it has absolutley no storage space whereas the Nouvo has the large underseat storage bin.

I know of 2 privatley owned Sparks for sale BTW.

:D

Ive been told by a Thai motorbike renter that the spark is the strongest bike that he rents, they all take a lot of stick from the renters but the spark over the year is the one that stands up to the abuse best, make of that what you can.

My partner bought a Spark 135 when it first came out, about a year ago, and it's been trouble-free. Since my CBR150 gets 30 km per liter driven hard, I'll bet a normally driven Spark should get at least 33 km/ltr. At that rate, you're not paying enough for petrol to be able to save much more.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it will be a spark. That storage problem might be solved by a rack at the back of the buddyseat. Since this model over one year old, there should be some accessories in that category.

Since the spark seems to be good, I assume that the 2nd hand price will be not that much off from new. I most likely will go for new.

Byetheway, I have a honda phantom, which is up for sale and get 33km/ltr. Nice bike but a pain in the back :o . That "chopper position" is not suitable for tall persons, I found out. A little bent fowards is the best positions for long trips (> 45min).

T.

There's a little wire basket you get or can purchase as an accessory, that goes by your left knee (if a big guy like you has any kneeroom) that holds a few things. Hey, I thought everybody in Thailand hangs stuff from the mirror stalks - I do on my sportbike! The seat does have two underneath hooks to store two helmets from on beneath near. :o

The Spark is one of the few liquid cooled step-throughs. Ours has a manual clutch, but it's still a four speed.

If you get 33 km/liter on a Phantom 200, you should get a lot better with the Spark.

Thanks 4 the info peaceblondie! I have seen that there are several choices with options like electrical starter, auto clutch etc.

I will go for the manual clutch, gear and kickstarter..

Have a look at that rack too...

T.

• 3 months later...

I have been thinking of buying a Spark X 135 with clutch. I have driven numerous small motorbikes in Thailand (running round BKK on my wifes JRD 125 Surf; Wave clone, at present). Back up north I have a Yamaha Beller 100c with partial clutch (partial meaning that you dont have to use the clutch if you dont want to/cant). Much prefer the Beller with clutch to the Waves/Dreams; seems like a cross between a real bike and a moped. Thus can anyone give any advice? The alternative is just to buy a 125 Wave since that is effectivly what I am running around on.

Considered an automatic, but have you seen what a 3 year old Nuovo looks like? All that plastic ages and looks horrible! Also I had a CVT Volvo many years back, and this type of gearing becomes quite noisy over time, and its a case of lots of plastic and rubber compared to lots of steal in a bike with gears (chain, etc). Thus I believe the autos wont be as long lasting as a traditional Wave/Dream. I have also heard quite a few noisy Mios, so can only assume the CVT transmission does wear and become noisy.

Many thanks in advance for any advise :o

Speaking of automatics, my partner was doing just that this week, and he's heard rumours that the automatics use lots of gasoline/petrol. I agree, without knowing about CVT's since they pioneered on the Daf Dafodil (does that date me? :o ), that automatic transmissions can absorb power and thus need more fuel.

The Spark is water-cooled; that's still relatively rare, I think.

I have driven several Mios/Clicks/Nouvos. Greater fuel consumption is easy to understand, especially if you are doing Bangkok driving (0 then 60km/h, then 0, then 60 km/h). With the autos the engine revs much higher because the gearing is low; I mean you really have to open the trottle to get the acceleration, with a manual you can jump up the gears much quicker and thus keep the revs down. Thus higher fuel consumption with autos. CVT, Constantly Variable Transmission; my Volvo I mentoned was made in Holland, and early versions of it were branded Daf (Volvo took over Daf cars). Hence where CVT for cars came from.

Talked to a couple of Thais; they tell me the Spark X 135 is a good bike. Well made, strong, fast. They say I should buy one. The other good bike is the Honda Wave 100cc, as I metioned earlier; this is the one to buy for the house for everyone to run around on :o

Peaceblondie, your Spark X 135, do you have the clutch version? If so, is it a partial clutch; I mean you can still use the bike if you dont know how to use a clutch?

Edited by MaiChai

O own a spark 135cc and it is a kick ass ride. Mileage is 110kms to the stop and it only costs 45k. Very inexpensive for your thrills. Great bike and very fast. The maximum I had done on roads here was 165kms/hr, this was after I installed a racing CDI chip. Standard top speed is 135cc. Mind me I'm a fat bastard as well. Goes with the consumption. If you want more info about spark handling and maintenance, go to this Malaysian based English language forum:

http://www.yamahat135.com/

And there is a 150 road bike but only around Indo and Malay, I dunno bout Thailand, but here is a sneak peak, its called the Vixion or in other countries also a Viper, heres ther link:

<a href="http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27"'>http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27" target="_blank">http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

</a>

And finally, my sweetheart, pride and joy :o

post-41657-1172216532_thumb.jpg

Edited by MioBikerBoyz

There's a little wire basket you get or can purchase as an accessory, that goes by your left knee (if a big guy like you has any kneeroom) that holds a few things. Hey, I thought everybody in Thailand hangs stuff from the mirror stalks - I do on my sportbike! The seat does have two underneath hooks to store two helmets from on beneath near. :D

The Spark is one of the few liquid cooled step-throughs. Ours has a manual clutch, but it's still a four speed.

If you get 33 km/liter on a Phantom 200, you should get a lot better with the Spark.

CBR150 - "your sportsbike". Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :o Thanks for that, I've not laughed so much in a longtime. Hahahahahahahhahaha.

When do you know that you've been in Thailand too long...

When you think that a CBR150 is a sportsbike.

CBR150 - "your sportsbike". Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :o Thanks for that, I've not laughed so much in a longtime. Hahahahahahahhahaha.

You haven't been in Thailand long enough if you don't realize that, in Thailand, a bike with full fairings, six speeds, manual clutch, mag wheels, disc brakes front and rear, dual headlights and taillights, etc., with the name CBR, IS A SPORTBIKE. Then you can read TWO magazine (not the best, but an example), which lists the Thai-made CBR125 under its sportbike column, where it is the biggest selling bike of any type in the UK.

But to be accurate, TWO refers to the CBR125R as a 'mini-sportbike.' Size is relative to a 1300 Huayabusa or a 2300 Triumph.

There's a little wire basket you get or can purchase as an accessory, that goes by your left knee (if a big guy like you has any kneeroom) that holds a few things. Hey, I thought everybody in Thailand hangs stuff from the mirror stalks - I do on my sportbike! The seat does have two underneath hooks to store two helmets from on beneath near. :D

Peaceblondie, your Spark X 135, do you have the clutch version? If so, is it a partial clutch; I mean you can still use the bike if you dont know how to use a clutch?
It's been passed into the family in place of a Phantom 200, but I'm sure it was a full clutch model. I think there are several varieties, including mag wheels vs. wire (we switched), electric start or kick, etc., probably auto clutch as well.

You haven't been in Thailand long enough if you don't realize that, in Thailand, a bike with full fairings, six speeds, manual clutch, mag wheels, disc brakes front and rear, dual headlights and taillights, etc., with the name CBR, IS A SPORTBIKE. Then you can read TWO magazine (not the best, but an example), which lists the Thai-made CBR125 under its sportbike column, where it is the biggest selling bike of any type in the UK.

But to be accurate, TWO refers to the CBR125R as a 'mini-sportbike.' Size is relative to a 1300 Huayabusa or a 2300 Triumph.

Don't get confused with technicalities. You're not a seventeen year old anymore. You seem tetchy, but it is quite simple. Do not over analyse.

Describing parts of a bike won't help you; taillights, disc brakes (front and rear!) and a manual clutch. Wow, proof of sporting abilities indeed!

Sports - bike.

Bike - Yes.

Sports - No.

Try to justify it if you like with your magazine that is designed to sell bikes to Thai teenagers, but a little, tiny horsepowered honda dreem with a fairing, is no sportsbike! My original phrase is perfect for you (though I've modifyed for further improvement):-

When you have forgotten that an R1 or a CBR900 /1000 is a sports bike and try to justify your claim that a 125 scooter is!

Heya jasreeve, what kinda crotch rocket you packing mate?

I live in Bangkok, so I don't own a bike, just a bts guy, nowadays. I do often go past a bike shop close to national stadium and dream about having a nice sportsbike, living outside Bangkok (maybe France / Italy) and riding around...

Back home, I had a CBR600, which I never considered to be a sportsbike, just an all round commuter type.

(Riding my mate's R1 was great though.)

When I was 17, I had a NSR125K, a bright orange cafe racer import from Italy - a mighty 33bhp! It was good fun for a teenager, much more sporty than these Thai 125's, but for sure not a sports bike.

I don't know what drugs some of these middle-aged ex-pats are on, but when I see a CBR125"RR" hairdryer "flying" down the road, it's a cross between amusing and pathetic.

What are you packing, mate?

TWO Isn’t a Thai teenager’s magazine. Its a top UK biking magazine and as PB correctly states it rates the CBR 125 very highly. Ok we all know its not going to win a track race against a CBR600 but who’s to say its not a sports bike. It has high pegs, low handle bars and a fairing, and they race them so that pretty much says its a Thai sports bike. Where does it say a sports bike has to be over 600cc? You are just falling into the old trap of believing your superior to everyone ells because you know how to ride a "bigger bike", fortunately most of the world doesn’t have your type of pompous attitude. Most bikers just want to enjoy riding, it doesn’t matter what you ride as long as you’re having fun, however you seem to of brought your western 600cc sports bike or no bike attitude too somewhere where its completely ridiculous. A CBR 150 will certainly beat any CBR 600 through Bangkok and probably most Thai second class roads. It reminds me of the U.K where sportsbike riders wont even nod their heads at anyone with a bike older than 3 years let alone a non sports bike where as all other riders nod or wave as they pass on the roads.

Jake

Edited by madjbs

TWO Isn’t a Thai teenager’s magazine. Its a top UK biking magazine and as PB correctly states it rates the CBR 125 very highly. Ok we all know its not going to win a track race against a CBR600 but who’s to say its not a sports bike. It has high pegs, low handle bars and a fairing, and they race them so that pretty much says its a Thai sports bike. Where does it say a sports bike has to be over 600cc? You are just falling into the old trap of believing your superior to everyone ells because you know how to ride a "bigger bike", fortunately most of the world doesn’t have your type of pompous attitude. Most bikers just want to enjoy riding, it doesn’t matter what you ride as long as you’re having fun, however you seem to of brought your western 600cc sports bike or no bike attitude too somewhere where its completely ridiculous. A CBR 150 will certainly beat any CBR 600 through Bangkok and probably most Thai second class roads. It reminds me of the U.K where sportsbike riders wont even nod their heads at anyone with a bike older than 3 years let alone a non sports bike where as all other riders nod or wave as they pass on the roads.

Jake

Thank you for reinforcing my opinion, young man.

(I liked CBR's too, when I was a teenager.)

A little bit of spacing, will make your opinions more easily read, and thus more powerful.

Have a pleasant evening, I'm off to the pub.

Jason

O own a spark 135cc and it is a kick ass ride. Mileage is 110kms to the stop and it only costs 45k. Very inexpensive for your thrills. Great bike and very fast. The maximum I had done on roads here was 165kms/hr, this was after I installed a racing CDI chip. Standard top speed is 135cc. Mind me I'm a fat bastard as well. Goes with the consumption. If you want more info about spark handling and maintenance, go to this Malaysian based English language forum:

http://www.yamahat135.com/

And there is a 150 road bike but only around Indo and Malay, I dunno bout Thailand, but here is a sneak peak, its called the Vixion or in other countries also a Viper, heres ther link:

<a href="http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27"'>http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27" target="_blank">http://www.yamahat135.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

</a>

And finally, my sweetheart, pride and joy :D

Could you post a little more info on the "racing CDI chip" ? Are you talking about a replacement ignition system? Where does the extra power come from to increase top speed by 30 kph? Available for CBR 150?

I have been riding a CBR150RR here in Thailand for over 4 years now. Got one when they first came onto the market. It's a fine choice for someone living here who doesn't need a superbike (CBR600?) "penis substitute" (Are you listening JasReeve?). :o Easily repaired anywhere in Thailand. Have ridden mine from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and back for Chang Mai Bike Week. No problems and great fun thru the mountains! Mind you, I think I get a few more kicks per mile than PeaceBlondie since I weigh 20 kilos less. :D

Sportsbike vs. Scooter. Hmmmm

Since there are 500-600cc scooters available from Honda, Yamaha, Aprilia that could easily outrace a CBR150, one might easily assume that something like a cbr150 is not a Sportbike. When I started racing motorcycles, I learned to hone my skills on a RS125 Honda - a production race motorcycle that was more sporting and fun, than most litre bikes are. It seems that the poster who thinks a little bike with low horsepower cannot be sporting seems to forget that motorcycles are incredibly good fun to ride around corners. Straight line speed is great, I have ridden everything - and I mean everything. Having raced professionally for many years, I can happily say that the fun of riding - the sport of it all as it were- is pushing whatever machine you are on to its and your own limit. Anyone who harasses other people who are having fun on their bike, and who's main claim to fame in terms of riding themselves are occasional rides on friends' borrowed bikes...err...shut it please. :o

Thats exactly right Japh, Motorcycling is about having fun and finding your own limits. People who cant understand this and just want to show off "look at me on my supersports race rep, I can ride faster than you, I have the fastest bike you can buy BLAH BLAH BLAH" have completly lost the spirit of all this fun everyone else is having.

The complete joke of the matter is that most of these guys cant ride their bikes anywhere near what they were designed to do, thats what happens when you dont learn the basics on a forgiving flickable smaller bike. Instead they think they are fast because they can drive 100mph down a straight road hehehe. What a joke!!

Jake